How does a DC-5 compare to a .50+ caliber?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschoendorff

Reaction score
For some reason, I find myself sort of jonesing for a .50+ caliber head to play around with. What is it like compare to my DC-5?

They're cool amps. The sound is a bit more "raw" than a DC-5. The lack of independent controls for each channel can be extremely frustrating.

Monsta-Tone said:
The cleans are much warmer though!

That's true.

I should have said that the distortion channel is more raw sounding than that of the DC.

I've got a .50 Cal+ and for Balls out Metal, it's pretty kick ***. That said, if you want a good clean tone, the distortion tone won't be that great, and vice versa. My Clean tone sounds like Angus/Malcolm Youngs main tone.

scottcrud said:
I've got a .50 Cal+ and for Balls out Metal, it's pretty kick ***. That said, if you want a good clean tone, the distortion tone won't be that great, and vice versa. My Clean tone sounds like Angus/Malcolm Youngs main tone.

Thanks. Now I want one even more, lol!

could you clarify this? basically just like, the bass/mids/treble and EQ can only be adjusted once, but work for both channels.. ?

Yes, the controls are shared, you don't have a row of knobs for each channel like a DC-5, or DC-10 does. So you can set the amp up for a very Fender like clean tone, and the Lead channel will sound more like a Marshall, or you can set up the Lead channel and it will be Balls out Rock or Metal and your clean channel will sound like a Marshall or like Angus Youngs main tone. Make sense?

Latest posts

Back