How do you guys feel about the Vertical Recto 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundstorm

Reaction score
I've been having one for about six months. I've tried several speaker combinations including 2 v30s, 1v30/1 G12H30, 1 EVM12L/1 Swamp Thang, and in a few days I'll have 2 EVM 12Ls in it.

If I don't like the two EV combination, I might sell it and move to something smaller, like an EV.

I just wanted to hear about others' experiences with this cab.

-SS

Well, I imagine it'll be close to 100lbs, maybe? But with two people it's not bad. I'm a live sound tech and I'm using to hauling gear all the time.

Anyone with comments/experiences/suggestions with these?

Oh, and I meant "try a EV Thiele" in my above post.

What is it that you're not liking? Cab resonance?
Could be the cab if you're not satisfied with the tones as you've tried several driver configs already.

I owned a road-ready 4x12 halfback with ALL EVM's :shock: a few years ago. I loved the tone on that cab but it WAS really heavy to schlep around all the time without roadies. Heavy or not it still sounded great, best cab I ever had !

You might want to try a 2x12 halfback as it's the best of both worlds.
Open back top and closed/ported bottom...really great tone !
The thiele is also an incredible tone box.

you might want to try an (1) eminence govenor and (1) eminence texas heat..... its an awesome combination.... if not i'll buy the cab unloaded :wink:

celestions are great speakers.... but the company as whole with all they put out is over rated.... eminence to my ears sound incredible and are better than celestion for producing tighter tones... again my opinion but the celestion name is way over rated.... they make some great speakers but are way over rated because of their name.... for instance cheaper cab companies that put the "loaded with celestions" in their marketing scheme to make people go wow... most of the time the celestion speakers in that cab blow... eminence on the other hand only has a good name with people who know gear and tone..... in most cases they also cost less

I agree, Eminence is a great American speaker company with awesome customer service to boot ! They make some nice drivers.
They don't make low-end "filler" speakers like you find in the cheap-*** Marshall VS and Crate cabs that Celestion make for them...those are absolute garbage. They do make some great, classic speakers all the way around.

EVM 12L's are Incredible drivers if you need/want massive headroom.

I'm not a fan of the celestions, myself. I really like the EV because I like the way my amp sounds and I don't want anything to touch that. Plus the EVM 12L (the L stands for "long throw" because it was originally a PA speaker) sounds GREAT at further distances, unlike most celestions I've heard which tend to thin out. So I think I'm an EV guy from now on. At my old sound company we had a lot of EV PA, including the XL Line Array and I just love the sound and quality of their stuff!

Jdurso....I was going to try Craigslist first, because I hate shipping cabs, and I'll have to get it packed at UPS (no music stores around). If you're still interested in the cab unloaded, feel free to PM me an offer.

-SS

I'm really thinking Thiele, because my hardwood/wicker C+ sitting on top of a hardwood/wicker thiele would look sweet and diminutive, but pack some punch. Would be very portable. I think I'll go Thiele, a lot of people are suggesting the halfback, though. But I wouldn't go for a 4x12...that's just too much IMO. If one Thiele isn't enough, I would go with two.

I'd really like to know how a single EV Thiele stacks up to a Recto vert. 2x12. If there's anyone who's had both or had a chance to a/b them.

I had a vertical recto 2x12 for a while. It had Vintage 30s in it. It was a good sounding cab. Easier to hear the details than my regular recto 2x12, which also had v30s in it. That was probably just because of the orientation of the speakers.

I liked the vert cab more than a horiz cab on its side. But the Vert cab has more internal volume.

I still haven't recieved my Thiele yet so I can't say anything regarding it.

Hey Phyrex...it's Muzikazoo. Can't wait to hear that second EVM in the recto cab. I had the V30s out in a matter of weeks. I j ust find them too harsh for my taste, and the cab didn't project well with them.

I think I'll get a thiele no matter how the recto sounds. It seems like the hardwood/wicker ones are pretty rare to come by, though. I'll just keep my feelers out.

Definitely send me a PM when you get a chance to test your Thiele out so I can know how it compares to your vert 2x12! :D

Back