A Lemon?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think you come out on top. You get a Mark V that will be spit-shined back to knew by Mesa. Mark V's are worth the effort. I'd MUCH rather have the V than the V:35! MUCH!!!!

I've talked myself off the ledge from getting a 35. As much as I would prefer the lighter weight, it just seems a bit redundant and a backwards step by losing a channel and 3 modes. I am really digging variac power, 45 watt, and triode settings for Ch 3. I can't wait to really crank it. My neighbors will think they are under attack. My pets may never come up to me again. As soon as my vertical 2x12 cab arrives, I may never see daylight again.

I have also noticed the pots need a good dose of DeOxit, too. The mid knob on channel 3 doesn't change anything. Fortunately, it sounds stellar, but I can't vary the mids at all aside from the 5BEQ. All in good time, my V will wind up in full health. My vertical 2x12 arrives tomorrow. Nice knowing you all.... lol!

jnoel64 said:
I have also noticed the pots need a good dose of DeOxit, too. The mid knob on channel 3 doesn't change anything. Fortunately, it sounds stellar, but I can't vary the mids at all aside from the 5BEQ. All in good time, my V will wind up in full health. My vertical 2x12 arrives tomorrow. Nice knowing you all.... lol!

Actually, that sounds like it's working as expected.

The BMT controls are BEFORE the overdrive (like on a fender amp). This means they really just affect the signal that goes into the gain which affects the texture of the gain more than the final sound. Treble raises gain and clarity, Bass makes things loose and flubby if it's high, and mids just kind of affect texture and fullness. If you put the mids at 0 and at 10 you should hear a subtle change. The Graphic EQ exists for this very reason: The BMT controls only have limited affect on the final sound and sound shaping still needs to happen.

Most other high gain amps (Marshalls, Rectifiers, etc) but the BMT controls after the distortion for tone shaping. But that's the 5 band's job on a Mark series amp.

Latest posts

Back