How do you biamp two LSS's together?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjboogie

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the correct way to biamp two Lone Star Specials?

thanks
jj

jjboogie said:
Can someone please explain to me the correct way to biamp two Lone Star Specials?

thanks
jj

Maybe I should have how to run two at the same time....Would like to control both amps at the same time too....with the footswitch! If possible....

Are you trying to run in stereo? Combos? You definately cannot plug both amps together in some way into the same speaker cab if that is what you are trying to do. If you are trying to run a couple of combos ( or head/speaker pairs) in stereo ( or just together to make it louder), you should be able to send the slave of one into the effects return of the other. The one with the slave out will be providing the preamp functions and is the one you will use the footswitch with, the other one will basically just be amplifying the same signal. You could stick a stereo chorus or something in there to fatten the stereo field if you wanted.

sbalderrama said:
Are you trying to run in stereo? Combos? You definately cannot plug both amps together in some way into the same speaker cab if that is what you are trying to do. If you are trying to run a couple of combos ( or head/speaker pairs) in stereo ( or just together to make it louder), you should be able to send the slave of one into the effects return of the other. The one with the slave out will be providing the preamp functions and is the one you will use the footswitch with, the other one will basically just be amplifying the same signal. You could stick a stereo chorus or something in there to fatten the stereo field if you wanted.

Using the slave out into the FX return makes sense however what if I wanted to use both preamps? How could I do that?

Get a stereo effect box and run your guitar into that, and the stereo outputs from the pedal, one into each amp. This is the cheap way of doing it. You can also get an A/B/Y pedal which will allow you to do the same thing properly. You can use the pedal to pick amp A, amp B or amp Y (both amps at once).

Tonebone makes one of these, they are about $300 IIRC.

I have a similar Q....I have an LSS ( my # 1), and a Fender concert reverb ( 4x 10s, 15/50 watt tube) w/FX loop, my previous #1. Also a stereo chorus pedal I would like to run thru both for that effect. How would I do that? Do I need the slave out for that?
Also I have a trem pedal I might want in line , or maybe in the Fender alone ( the fenders trem broke & I picked up a pedal to use in the LSS, but this Q of stereo came up, & I might want the option of useing the trem in the fender only. I love the LSS but I can't afford another right now, so the fender gets in the mix for stereo use ( I like it too). I have an A/B box that I can use to switch either amp or both together , or back and forth....thanks............This is a great board, I'm learning so much......CGM.

mrd said:
Get a stereo effect box and run your guitar into that, and the stereo outputs from the pedal, one into each amp. This is the cheap way of doing it. You can also get an A/B/Y pedal which will allow you to do the same thing properly. You can use the pedal to pick amp A, amp B or amp Y (both amps at once).

Tonebone makes one of these, they are about $300 IIRC.

The tonebone looks pretty cool.....I would like to look at some other brands as well.....Great idea! I guess I would still be stuck only being able to switch one amps channel from 1 to 2 at a time....that means I would have two LSS footswitches.....that is the only part I don't like....But we are moving in the right direction.....

thanks
jj

jjboogie said:
I guess I would still be stuck only being able to switch one amps channel from 1 to 2 at a time....that means I would have two LSS footswitches.....that is the only part I don't like....But we are moving in the right direction.....
jj

It gets more complicated if you want one footswitch to control two amps simulaneously. I suppose you could build a custom footswitch with multiple poles per switch and cables going to each amp if you could find the right kind of switches. Otherwise you would probably need to use a midi footswitch and a midi based switching system that can trigger both amps.

IE, you could start by looking at the stuff from Axess... http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/CFX4-Control-Function-Switcher-p-16136.html

****...where the hell are you guys playing that you have room on stage for 2 combos?!! LOL!! Sh!t, i have a RKI and 2x12 and I am smashed right next to my bass player almost every night. The stages you guys are playing must be friggin huge!

hi jjboogie,
Are you looking to do something like this. I'm running three amps.

03-14-08_2053.jpg

I'm using an A/B/Y box from Redzone called the splitzo. http://www.redzoneeffects.com. My guitar goes into the wah to a single split box. One side goes to the lone star, the other goes to the a/b box and splits the signal to either Deuce or Recto amp or both. My pedalboard shows the setup.The blue box is the splitter. The boxes that say Radial are actually custom amp switches made by one of my friends at a local music store. They are to switch channels on my Deuce and Lonestar, but they take up half the room as the boogie ones. The red box is a Redzone Looper that allows me to use effects that are not true bypass. My signal stays direct from the guitar to the amps unless I want to add an effect, by adding it into the loop. This keeps your tone when your not using the effects.

03-14-08_2054.jpg

BMarchant

BMarchant said:
hi jjboogie,
Are you looking to do something like this. I'm running three amps.

I'm using an A/B/Y box from Redzone called the splitzo. http://www.redzoneeffects.com. My guitar goes into the wah to a single split box. One side goes to the lone star, the other goes to the a/b box and splits the signal to either Deuce or Recto amp or both. My pedalboard shows the setup.The blue box is the splitter. The boxes that say Radial are actually custom amp switches made by one of my friends at a local music store. They are to switch channels on my Deuce and Lonestar, but they take up half the room as the boogie ones. The red box is a Redzone Looper that allows me to use effects that are not true bypass. My signal stays direct from the guitar to the amps unless I want to add an effect, by adding it into the loop. This keeps your tone when your not using the effects.

BMarchant

Yeah man......that is pretty much what I need to be doing.....

In January I did the Raggamuffin tour in Australia and unfortunately they didn't backline my boogies....I got stuck with two twins.....Anyways it was the first time I ran two amps in stereo due to the size venues we played.....they were arenas and stadiums.....

Well my band leader absolutely loved the big guitar sound that I got using two amps together and told me to continue to do that even in smaller clubs.......So now my rider consists of two LSS or LSC's but if they cannot get those then I am stuck with Twins or Deluxe Reverbs depending on availability.

Anyways what kind of pedal board are you using?

I need some that will keep my pedals in place....the velcro keeps ripping off and my pedals go all over the place! UGH!!!

Thanks for your input!

Oh here was a pic of the rig I used on my Australian tour!

IMG_0434.jpg

Hi jjboogie,
Sweet setup. Have you tried mixing the amps with each amp having a different sound. For instance, I set the Deuce up for a dry, AC/DC sound, using the blue crunch setting with the gain around 1 o'clock. I then mix the Recto in with the gain. So I end up with a nice tight sound where you can really hear each note, and then the gain is mixed in. The sound is HUGH! Not volume wise, by tone wise.

The pedalboard is just the SKB PS-45. The key is to apply contact cement on the bottom of all your pedals, and let it dry. Once the cement is dry, put the velcro on the pedals.... The stuff will never come off. Like I said about the A/B/Y, its from Redzone effects. They make great stuff.

This same idea of mixing amps opens up a whole new world. Keith Richards does the same thing. One amp is clean, then he adds the second amp in with the gain. Its the only way to get some of these sounds.

Sad news is, once you start doing this, you wont want to just use one amp again.

Let me know how it works out. If you want to talk in detail, fire me off an email and we can discuss.

Thanks,

BMarchant

BMarchant said:
Hi jjboogie,
Sweet setup. Have you tried mixing the amps with each amp having a different sound. For instance, I set the Deuce up for a dry, AC/DC sound, using the blue crunch setting with the gain around 1 o'clock. I then mix the Recto in with the gain. So I end up with a nice tight sound where you can really hear each note, and then the gain is mixed in. The sound is HUGH! Not volume wise, by tone wise.

The pedalboard is just the SKB PS-55. The key is to apply contact cement on the bottom of all your pedals, and let it dry. Once the cement is dry, put the velcro on the pedals.... The stuff will never come off. Like I said about the A/B/Y, its from Redzone effects. They make great stuff.

This same idea of mixing amps opens up a whole new world. Keith Richards does the same thing. One amp is clean, then he adds the second amp in with the gain. Its the only way to get some of these sounds.

Sad news is, once you start doing this, you wont want to just use one amp again.

Let me know how it works out. If you want to talk in detail, fire me off an email and we can discuss.

Thanks,

Bill Marchant

I haven't tried the different settings yet.....I can't wait to do that.

Have you ever flown with your SKB case? If so how did it do? Did you check it or carry in luggage?

I will have to try the contact cement thing......And I will definitely have to get the A/B/Y box too......

Good stuff!!!

Hi jjboogie,
Never flew with the gear. Everything was by trucks. Stuff was exposed in weather from 110F in the summer, down to -39F in the winter. Was always suprised the amps didnt die going from the stage into a 30 ft truck at -39f.

I would suggest looking at http://www.stompin-ground.com . They have custom pedalboards and road cases for pedalboards. The SKB stuff is ok, but it sounds like you need something like there heavy duty ATA style cases for carrier transit under more severe conditions for maximum protection. Also take a look at Trailer Trash custom pedal boards at http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com They make great custom pedalboards, and then get a ATA style case for it. They can even wire it up for you (at a cost).

BMarchant

BMarchant said:
Hi jjboogie,
Never flew with the gear. Everything was by trucks. Stuff was exposed in weather from 110F in the summer, down to -39F in the winter. Was always suprised the amps didnt die going from the stage into a 30 ft truck at -39f.

I would suggest looking at http://www.stompin-ground.com . They have custom pedalboards and road cases for pedalboards. The SKB stuff is ok, but it sounds like you need something like there heavy duty ATA style cases for carrier transit under more severe conditions for maximum protection. Also take a look at Trailer Trash custom pedal boards at http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com They make great custom pedalboards, and then get a ATA style case for it. They can even wire it up for you (at a cost).

BMarchant

Thanks man! Yeah I was just looking at pedaltrain stuff just a minute ago.

fwiw I have a 'switchbone' and I used to use it to switch between my fender hot rod deluxe and my mesa f30. Radial makes a good product, it always worked Flawlessly !!

They also have another, which has come out supposedly made specifically for 'tube' amps.

They are expensive but worth the dough IMHO.

good luck.

Zeemo

Hey JJboogie,
Any chance the guy asking you to run the two amps was producer Roger Summers? He's known for getting great guitar sounds. He is a big Rolling Stones fan.

Bmarchant

BMarchant said:
Hey JJboogie,
Any chance the guy asking you to run the two amps was producer Roger Summers? He's known for getting great guitar sounds. He is a big Rolling Stones fan.

Bmarchant

Been in and out of town.....sorry......My boss actually asked me to use two amps especially after our Australian tour which was all Arena's and outdoor venues....stadiums and amphitheaters.....Two twins worked great! I just did the Memphis in May festival this past Saturday and I used only on 2X12 lonestar classic.....I had that thing CRANKED!!!! I should have used two to spread the sound a bit more. Next time I will.

By the way I finally got a pedaltrain II and that thing although heavy to carry it is awesome!

Latest posts

Back