How do v30s sound in a V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a horizontal rec cab and i'd say it sounds bad compared to my vert cab with a mix of speakers. I can't remember what I have in the vert cab, I think one is a vintage 30 but the one in the ported bottom is bigger.

I say the 2X12 horizontal cab is one of the best cabs that mesa makes . Its been around for quite a long time now , there's a reason for that :wink:

Scary said:
I have a horizontal rec cab and i'd say it sounds bad compared to my vert cab with a mix of speakers. I can't remember what I have in the vert cab, I think one is a vintage 30 but the one in the ported bottom is bigger.
Im curious, Which vertical cab are you referring to ? If its the recto slant vertical I dont think thats ported . At least the web page doesnt mention that its ported . I have friend that owns one and his is not ported . Maybe you are talking about a different cab though .

I have a vertical 2x12 Recto cab with V30's and an Orange 2x12 closed back cab with V30's. I love the Recto cab for sure, but I REALLY love the Orange cab. The Orange cab just seems to supply more of that low end growl that I love. I run them both simultaneously and it sounds awesome to my ears. Lots of folks complain about V30's, but tone is a very subjective thing. Although I'm tempted to try other drivers in one of my cabs, I just feel satisfied for the moment. As a side note, I didn't care for the V30's in my 4x12. LOL!!! I just don't get it! :mrgreen:

I have the Mesa recto vertical 2x12 with the V30's and I really love it. I had a chance to use my Mark V with a Marshall 1960 4x12 lead cab while I was waiting for my Mesa cab to be built. The Marshall had the 75's in it and they sounded brittle and harsh. When I got the Mesa cab, my Mark V still had the 6L6's in it and there was a huge improvement in sound over the Marshall cab. Then I switched to EL34's and the V30's sound amazing now, even better than with the 6L6's IMHO (but that's a different thread entirely). Either way, personally I don't think you can go wrong with the Mesa recto vertical 2x12 and like it was said in the earlier post, there is a reason Mesa makes them like they do.

Works well ! ...for me ...got a horizontal Rec Cab...amazing authority and clarity.
V30's are pretty impressive ..and they are not mid heavy. They sound a tad scooped by default..but the guitar is a mid-sy instrument..so keep that in mind...

I'm actually ordering a MillsAcoustic Mach212B soon since I'm moving from Hawaii to Washington D.C. July 21st. I'm going to be happy to have a 2x12 vs. a 4x12 since lugging around a big cab was quite a pain. Mills Acoustic cabs are supposed to be TOP notch and It should be a big upgrade for me going from a Line 6 V30 412 to a Mills 2x12. I'll post a thread when It comes in after a few weeks.

Back