How do i know if my Mark iii is iiic+ modded?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boogiebabies said:
Try different EQ setting and different speakers first. Modding is not the first "Go To" when you really can't explain exactly what your looking for. Even with a C+ type of mod, unless you systematically play the amp after each component change you may never find your sweet spot.

All I can say for sure is these amps are inherently bright.

Funny, mine isn't very bright and it doesn't have as much gain as people describe and what i hear on youtube.

I'd like the amp to be a bit smoother i just realized.
Already tried the speaker and setting. I thing i found the optimal speaker for what i want (g12-65) and settings.

My settings on the Green Stripe Simul MK III were

Vol 1 - 7
Treble- 6:30 Pulled
Mid- 5 Pulled
Bass- 2 Pulled
Lead Drive- 8 Pulled
Master- 3-4 Pulled
Lead Master- 5-6
Presence- 2

EQ- V with 6600 just above mid line.

I used SED 6L6GC and SED EL34 though an EV 12L or Mesa 412FB with Vintage 30's.
The EV was always smoother to my ears though. Not as smooth as my C+, but close.

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/?bg=3&d1=70&p1=1&d2=65&p2=1&d3=20&p3=1&d4=50&d5=30&p5=1&d6=80&p6=1&d7=45&p7=1&p=20&g1=85&g2=55&g3=15&g4=35&g5=50&t=Smooth

Boogiebabies said:
My settings on the Green Stripe Simul MK III were

Vol 1 - 7
Treble- 6:30 Pulled
Mid- 5 Pulled
Bass- 2 Pulled
Lead Drive- 8 Pulled
Master- 3-4 Pulled
Lead Master- 5-6
Presence- 2

EQ- V with 6600 just above mid line.

I used SED 6L6GC and SED EL34 though an EV 12L or Mesa 412FB with Vintage 30's.
The EV was always smoother to my ears though. Not as smooth as my C+, but close.

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/?bg=3&d1=70&p1=1&d2=65&p2=1&d3=20&p3=1&d4=50&d5=30&p5=1&d6=80&p6=1&d7=45&p7=1&p=20&g1=85&g2=55&g3=15&g4=35&g5=50&t=Smooth

Those settings are pretty similar to mine. I guess my settings are the blues/rock version of your settings.
Here they are:
Vol, 1: 7 pulled
Treble: 6 pulled
Bass: 2 pulled
Mid: 7
Master: preferably 3 or higher pulled
Lead drive: 7.3 pulled
Lead master: 5
Presense: 2

The eq is a shalow v with the 750k just under the middle line.

Boogiebabies said:
Try different EQ setting and different speakers first. Modding is not the first "Go To" when you really can't explain exactly what your looking for. Even with a C+ type of mod, unless you systematically play the amp after each component change you may never find your sweet spot.

All I can say for sure is these amps are inherently bright.

Agreed. Even after playing mine for many, many years, it wasn't until I started over from scratch that I discovered the real potential of this amp. Then, I pulled all preamp tubes and started on a NOS craze that eventually solved the brittle nature. And only very recently, after I swapped the combo speaker with a WGS ET-65 (very similar to your Celestion heritage) did I find a new sweet spot. The GEQ also hasn't been turned on in several months. Now a couple of dirt pedals take it a different direction than ch3 goes.

After 23 years, I'm still discovering new tones that are very usable. Ironically, the tone settings on many MkIIIs seem to be set similarly:
front.php

And I don't play metal. Ignore the GEQ settings above. It's always off.

Other tips: I use ch1 exclusively right now in class A mode. And use an EP-Booster and TS-9 or Kalamazoo. That combination, along with my 2x12 cab, yields some of the most fun gigging I've had in years. It sounds THAT good. And to think, 5 years ago, I thought I was getting tired of the same 'ol Boogie sound. :roll:

Back