Kruse mod for Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi fellows,

I am considering the Kruse mod for my Mark 3.

Do you have any experience with it?
Can you share your thoughts?

This is the mod I am talking about:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers,
Ivo

If what you really want is an HRM sound, you could sell your III, buy a Splawn or something, and have money left over. Or take the money you'd be spending on shipping and the mod and buy a preamp you can run into the III's power section.

Mark IIIs in decent shape have become pretty collectible/pricey. I would think real, real hard before modding one. Might be youtube but those videos don't sound particularly special, plexi/brown sounds are kind of a dime a dozen.

Last edited:
If what you really want is an HRM sound, you could sell your III, buy a Splawn or something, and have money left over. Or take the money you'd be spending on shipping and the mod and buy a preamp you can run into the III's power section.

Mark IIIs in decent shape have become pretty collectible/pricey. I would think real, real hard before modding one. Might be youtube but those videos don't sound particularly special, plexi/brown sounds are kind of a dime a dozen.
I would only take my Mesa to Mesa themselves for mods. I'm sure Mike B. can do something that you'll like, but that does sound like a different amp then a mark. 10 years from now when Mike is retired and all the Mark IIC+'s are in collector vaults a Mark III in good working order will probably be worth enough money to put a down payment on a house, or something crazy.

I'd be curious to see a schematic, since there's only so many things you can switch with a dpdt. My guess listening is a smaller coupling cap plus adding a small Ck on a stage.

As far as nodding a III in general, the R2 volume pot mod is a must IMO. There are other possibilities, but at least do that.

Back