How Do I Improve?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic.Sheep

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for over a year now and I am begining to notice that I have ceased to improve... What do I do? I can only play a few full songs... I don't know much theory (thats obviously an area that needs improvement but sadly with the limited pratice time per day thats not always the number one priority when it comes to practice) and most importantly I lack consitency... even songs and solos that I have reapeated hundreds of times I am still finding problematic. I have hit a brick wall that has been frustrating me for some time now... :!:
What do I do... plz help :idea:

Keep on practicing. Maybe change your practice routine, get a metronome to practice with or a drum machine.

Even better, find some people to jam with.

Get a band, play with others, anything will do to start.

Spend your own time practicing what your weak at. Too many guys play everything that their good at, and that weak area remains under developed. So if its solos your struggling with, you may want to learn some scales or exercises to assist your dexterity (as an example).

If you can, find a good guitar teacher. 30 minutes per week will do you wonders.

David.

Jamming with others is very good at motivating. It also allows you to be pleased with what you know, and what you're learning. Plus, you'll get influenced in other areas you may not have delved into on your own...Make sure you're not the best one there.... :wink:
ax. :twisted:

I've been trying to find information on correct ways of playing... most information that is out there teaches you musical theory and assumes that you know how to hold the guitar properly... and all that kind of stuff, but after finally finding the information that I was looking for (an article interviewing Yngiwe Malmsteen and signing up to a free newsletter from http://www.guitarprinciples.com (I reckon everyone who reads this should sign up because even if you can play, I am sure you will find some info you didn't know about even if its not really guitar related)) did I begin to realise that I have developed bad playing habits. Can anyone think of anything that I should look out for, especially in relation to the way of holding your pick because everyone has their own way of holding it and I don't think that everyone can be doing it right? Also if you could suggest any exercises that you believe are a must that would be great... (my exercises are: 1234(6th string) 1234(5th string) etc... 123423453456 etc 12 11 10 9 11 10 9 8 etc 1423(6th string) 1234(5th string) etc and 4132(1st string) 4132(2nd string) etc that about it... and a few scales... the rest of the time I just practice most of the songs that I know.)

My friend used to take guitar lessons but he dropped it because his teacher was basically teaching mainly music theory. That hasn't put me off finding a teacher and everyone who suggested this idea, don't worry I am definatley going to get one some time soon.

In relation to playing with other people... well that's another thing that I am working on, it's surprisingly difficult finding the right people to play with. Most people either have no intention of playing in a band or others are either dropping playing and others are changing what they play. A friend of mine used to play drums but has now dropped it and has started learning guitar.

My biggest concern with the picking is that my index finger tends to touch the strings and wears down somewhat... and becomes quite thin... that's the problem that I am experiencing with it.

Practice is number one of course... Other than that always strive for harder...learn your theory as well...and PRACTICE with a metronome, it will speed up learning tremendously

Atomic.Sheep said:
My biggest concern with the picking is that my index finger tends to touch the strings and wears down somewhat... and becomes quite thin... that's the problem that I am experiencing with it.

Sounds painful... Do you bleed all over the place? How long does it take your finger to grow back? :lol:

Ok seriously, I have been playing for years and your fingernail might get a little worn here and there. It is just something that you must learn to deal with like your callouses on your fretting fingers. You can adjust your grip on the pick, but in the end it is your style that will prevail.

Tips for when you hit a brick wall:

Play with others. This is important. You cannot fully develop sitting at home playing with yourself :lol:

Play with something that will improve your rhythm and force you to get through those tougher passages (a drummer preferably but a metronome won't give you as much sh!t) :wink:

Consider playing things that you know to be a treat rather than a staple of your practice regimine.

Force yourself to play things in alternate positions.

Get off your butt and stand up and play and move for God's sake.

Try not to look at your fretting hand as much as possible. Learn your neck and your picking hand position by touch and memory.

Pick a mode or a scale to work on one at a time until you have mastered it forwards and backwards until you can play it in any position and without error. (Look at Zakk Wylde- he is the king of the Pentatonic Minor. That is about all he likes to play.) :shock:

Prepare a set time to play so that you are dedicating it to practice. This will make it so that it is more important.

Pick up your guitar whenever you can even if it is while you are watching tv. This can improve your relationship with it as far as learning the touch sensitivity and location memory.

Practice different picking styles and attacks. Do not overlook fingerpicking.

Do not get stuck in the guitar at your knees is the best place to sling it mentality. Though it looks cool it severely limits your ability to play.

Get the headstock of your guitar up. The more vertical your neck is the easier it will be to scale. Classical positioning greatly improves your performance.

If you drive well, practice your fingering on the wheel. If you don't drive, get off your skateboard and walk. Use your board as an implement of practice and fret into it as if you were playing your guitar while walking down the sidewalk. (ok so the skateboard thing may have been out of line but it does offer for a great workout for your fingers provided you are not fretting into grip tape and keeps old ladies from getting run over and needing hip replacement surgery) :)

Uh yeah, do not be embarrassed ever. But do not be cocky. There are people out there that will outclass you no matter how much you learn. Take every experience as a learning one even when you are listening to music. Try to imagine the fingering and feel it.

A guitar teacher is good if you have the $ and the time. I would suggest at least a few months of lessons as noted above for 30 minutes per week until you begin to get the ideas. Then if you cannot yourself learn theory from a book then continue your lessons.

A good part of playing is feel. Another part is attitude. I went over attitude above. You have to be able to feel what you are playing. If you cannot feel it you cannot play it. Can you feel Jimi? - Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes, White Men Can't Jump. Develop your feel and truly take the time to feel it even if you can mechanically play it. Feel is what separates those that can play guitar and those that play music. Feel is about 3/4 of your tone. The gear only provides the way to get it out.

I guess I will end my contribution here with this last one:
Spend less time worrying about your gear and spend more time playing. If you play well then you will sound good no matter what you play on. If you play poorly then not even the best gear will make you sound good. The more (this includes time and types of material) you play the better you get.

I almost forgot. Don't forget to enjoy yourself. If it isn't fun or rewarding then forget it. You need to make playing something that is fun or rewarding even if it is grueling. Like anything else you have to dedicate to it or you will not get good.

it's also important to understand your intstrument. wha't your playing style? many people start off on a cheap guitar (i did) and get frustrated. once you begin to truly understand what your playing style is (metal, blues, etc) can you begin to understand what kind of guitar neck is right for you. I for example started on a very thin maple neck. every time i play that neck i hate it and i sincerely feel it limiting my playing. I like a thick neck with a rounded fingerboard radius. It's great for chords and those huge bends. you don't need a $10,000 guitar. just a guitar with a neck that fits you!

also, i can't stress a metronome enough.

watch john petrucci's instructional dvd. after you stop drooling, watch it again and practice.

Why do you want to improve ?
Be like hendrix and cobain, they were drugged vagabonds that people used to call musicians !
Improve for what ?
Drugged vagabond rules :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
**** I hate these drugged vagabonds called musicians :evil: :evil:
I think I am repeating myself so I will say one more tine =
I hate these mother fuc...that people call musicians !
They are a shame !! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Latest posts

Back