How can i get a better DEATH METAL sound outta TRI-RECTO?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get a MXR M-108. it doesnt matter if you put it in the loop or in front of your amp.......you can shape it to get a great DM type sound

get a MXR M-108. it doesnt matter if you put it in the loop or in front of your amp.......you can shape it to get a great DM type sound

Bchewdown said:
anyone who might know something as far as pedals etc...let me know!!!thanks~~~

turn the power on :wink:

all kidding aside.... what else do you use aside from the TR.. meaning cab, guitar, pups, etc.? higher output pups, with the right cab and maybe an OD or boost pedal infront should get you what your after. also check out that kt66/kt88 power tube kit from eurotubes

I use a 1991 Ibanez S540 w/ the stock IBZ USA's straight thru to T.R. with all mesa tubes (6l6) and no name cab w/ G12t's...no pedals.

Have thought about different tubes..but don't know much about them.
I was told to stay away from the EL34's for Death Metal..cuz i hear i'll prolly "use them up" faster...I have an Invader pickup though!!!!!lol

I use a 1991 Ibanez S540 w/ the stock IBZ USA's straight thru to T.R. with all mesa tubes (6l6) and no name cab w/ G12t's...no pedals.

I was told to stay away from the EL34's for Death Metal..cuz i hear i'll prolly "use them up" faster...I have an Invader pickup though!!!!!lol

Bchewdown said:

your going to see the biggest gains by putting some better pups in the ibanez and getting a better cab. as far as pups there are so many ways to go... i found the invader or the d-activators to be great pups... if you dotn mind active emgs might fit the bill.

as far as cabs look into a mesa recto, vht fatbottom, basson 4x12 or something like the bogner with the v30s and g75s in an x pattern. really any quality made cab would get you a better DM tone.

yesss...I have the gain to about 9-9.5 all the mids scooped...
I have to say it sounds good to me in my guitarists garage, but at home in my spare room...GACK!!!!! hmmm dunno...Maybe i'll check into the MXR Kerry King EQ pedal...and possibly a comp of some kind...

Bchewdown said:
I have to say it sounds good to me in my guitarists garage, but at home in my spare room...GACK!!!!! hmmm dunno...Maybe i'll check into the MXR Kerry King EQ pedal...and possibly a comp of some kind...

ok theres your problem.... back the gain off to around 1-2 oclock and put your mids at around 10:30-11 oclock, keep you treble and presence around 12:30-1 oclock and bass near noon. setup you master near 9 and use the amp's output to adjust your volume.

with boogie amps cranking the gain just adds mud and takes away from chunk. keep in mind your gain is just adding preamp distortion and the key to a great metal sound is in power amp distortion, which is why you should keep your gain closer to noon and use the amps output (poweramp volume) to control how loud things are. would i would do is consult the manual and try some of the settings in the back. find one you like and tweak from there

jdurso said:
the key to a great metal sound is in power amp distortion
I've always associate great metal sound with 12ax7 distortion. Granted, power-tube compression plays a significant part in getting good sustain, but I've always heard that the best power tubes for metal are ones that "break up" later. Your comment on excessive gain muddying up the signal, I feel, is right on. Max gain, if EVER used, should be for "soloing", not so much slamming power chords or heavy "low end" riffs.

Electric guitar with no mids is like Thanksgiving meal with no turkey! Definitely set the EQ to get the tone you're after - that's what being an artist is all about. Don't completely cut out the frequency range that your instrument is designed to live in, though. Just my two cents... :)

carlsoti said:
jdurso said:
the key to a great metal sound is in power amp distortion
I've always associate great metal sound with 12ax7 distortion. Granted, power-tube compression plays a significant part in getting good sustain, but I've always heard that the best power tubes for metal are ones that "break up" later. Your comment on excessive gain muddying up the signal, I feel, is right on. Max gain, if EVER used, should be for "soloing", not so much slamming power chords or heavy "low end" riffs.

depends on the amp... with mesa i believe the metal tones are in getting a balance between the pre and power amps, but ive always found the best metal tones are in keeping the gains around noon, the master between 9-11, and using the output (power amp) to find the sweet spot of the amp. with say a company like marshall or bogner, i found adding more gain can get you some great results, with mesa though its just mud.

Well, the standard thing for getting a great metal tone out of a Recto is to use a boost pedal like the Ibanez TS. It really makes a big difference!

Don't use it to add gain, but to compress the guitar signal a bit and to drive the front end of the amp.

For brutal metal tones, I have used these settings (when tracking guitars though)

red channel, modern mode, bold, diodes

presence: 10-11(o'clock)

bass: 11:30
mids: 9:00
treble: 11:30

gain: 11-12o'clock

And the settings on my TS9 are:
drive: 9o'clock
tone: 10o'clock
level: 12o'clock

I agree with jdurso about those stock Ibby pickups. Those pickups were not designed for deathmetal. That Invader is a good choice, as are countless others.

I use a Dual Rec and for what its worth I have my amp set up like this.

Main Rhythm/Lead channel:

Channel 3 - Tube Rec, Bold
Presence: 1:00
Master: 12:00
Gain: 1:30
Bass: 11:30-1:00 depending on cabinet and venue
Mids: 12:00-1:30 depending on cabinet and venue
Treble: 12:00-1:00 Depending on cabinet and venue
Output: 9:30-10:30 Depending on stage size(dual guitars, we play loud enough so that we can just hear each other cross stage)
Solo: :30 above what the Output is set as.

Backing Rhythm channel:
Channel 2
Everything the same as Main channel except Master which is set usually to 1:00-2:00 to maintain equal volume as main channel.

I switch to this channel when my other guitarist is playing his leads. It gives a thicker response which simulates the double tracking under solos which you hear on recordings.

I do not goose the front end of my amp for rhythms. I use a Boss SD-1 to add gain to my leads. I run the pedal volume and tone at unity (12:00), and max the gain. Running the pedal as a clean boost doesn't give me enough sustaining drive for lead work.

I also use Marshall cabinets loaded with G12-65's.

you can hear a sample of my band at www.myspace.com/hodtheband

Not sure if we are what you are heading towards tone wise, but the above settings will get you in the ballpark of our recording.

Bchewdown said:

Most great band mix tones sound bad when you are sitting home playing.

Well, the standard thing for getting a great metal tone out of a Recto is to use a boost pedal like the Ibanez TS. It really makes a big difference!

Don't use it to add gain, but to compress the guitar signal a bit and to drive the front end of the amp.
Sorry dont know how to get your name in the quote, TomiR.

What would be the difference between using a boost pedal to drive in the front or have it in the effects loop?

Back