How can i get a better DEATH METAL sound outta TRI-RECTO?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are considering changing pups, I would suggest going with the EMG's. I have an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck of a '93 Gibson Flying V and I get some sick tones with my T.R. The tube choice in preamp and power tubes can help also.

PineappleBrains said:
Well, the standard thing for getting a great metal tone out of a Recto is to use a boost pedal like the Ibanez TS. It really makes a big difference!

Don't use it to add gain, but to compress the guitar signal a bit and to drive the front end of the amp.
Sorry dont know how to get your name in the quote, TomiR.

What would be the difference between using a boost pedal to drive in the front or have it in the effects loop?

You don't want the boost in the loop. You want a boost out front and an EQ in the loop. Actually, the EQ makes a way bigger difference than the Boost. To the OP, either actives like EMG, or HIGH OUTPUT passives, like Gibson Dirty Fingers are what you are looking for.

PineappleBrains said:
Well, the standard thing for getting a great metal tone out of a Recto is to use a boost pedal like the Ibanez TS. It really makes a big difference!

Don't use it to add gain, but to compress the guitar signal a bit and to drive the front end of the amp.
Sorry dont know how to get your name in the quote, TomiR.

What would be the difference between using a boost pedal to drive in the front or have it in the effects loop?

The overdrive pedal is supposed to drive the preamp tubes so it needs to be before the amp. It removes some of the low frequencies from the guitar signal itself and adds a bit more mids.

Pat O'Brien from Cannibal Corpse uses a Boss Metal Zone as a boost with his Triple Recto. Turns the distortion all the way down on the pedal but uses the pedals level control to drive the preamp tubes harder.

High output pickups plus a tubescreamer and you are done.

This is something I just tracked with my Triple Recto. Maybe a bit too melo-death, but you'll get the picture.

http://www.soundclick.com/tomir

The drums are totally improvised, I recorded myself jamming with my drums a while back, and the tracks were never meant to be used, but I wanted to hear how the Recto sounds with drums, so I made a couple of clips. The drums are all natural, no samples were used, only EQ, reverb and compression.

No editing on the guitars! No low pass, EQ or anything, just raw tracks!

Oh, I did add a new clip with some samples on the drums. The kick is 100% sampled and the snare has a sample mixed with the real tone.

TomiR
You know man, I have read posts where the guys writing sound like they are the next Steve Vai and have the rarest of rare boogie gear...until they post what they play or post a you tube of themselves with their Uber gear.... It usually make me cry laughing cuz its so horrible...

You sir sound awsome!

... and to the original poster,
EMG-81s are the standard D-M pick up though, just so you know. And lastly, you will never get your amp to sound great in your bed room...it's born to be loud... Expecting it to be happy in your room is like seeing a giddy McLaren driving a grandmother around in a parking lot.

(btw a McLaren is a million dollar sports car...) :lol:

MclarenF1.JPG

vitor gracie said:
TomiR
You know man, I have read posts where the guys writing sound like they are the next Steve Vai and have the rarest of rare boogie gear...until they post what they play or post a you tube of themselves with their Uber gear.... It usually make me cry laughing cuz its so horrible...

You sir sound awsome!

Cheers! Glad you liked it.

It was my Schecter Hellraiser C-7 with EMG 707's, Ibanez TS9 as a boost, Triple Recto, red channel, modern, bold, diodes, Recto 4X12" cab. And like I mentioned before, the guitar tracks are completely raw, no editing.

And yep, the amp was turned pretty **** loud!

Back