HOW ARE YOU USING YOUR STEREO RIGS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATR1

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and bought another amp this week to make a stereo rig. I now have (2) MB Mark V 90w Combos in stereo with my FX8. Anything I need to watch out for? I was using the KOKO Boost to push the front of amp and would like to push both is this possible with (1) KB? Also are you guys running each amp the same or (1) Wet (1) Dry, (1) clean(1) dirty? I have never used a stereo rig and would like some ideas. I posted this on another forum but not getting much info..
Thx..

You might try this if the FX8 can be used in the loop. Have one main Mark generate your tone use your effects loop to generate the stereo. Effects loop send to the FX8 then send one side back the the mark that is your main and send the other side to the second mark effects loop input. That is how the tech at Boogie told me how to setup a stereo rig with two mark V amps. Basically you are using the second mark as a power amp and speaker. I could draw you a diagram if you need. This way one Mark V runs the show. Simple no hassle. You could just put a stereo chorus pedal where I put the FX8. Then you would setup your system on the first amp like normal with your FX8 and Koko boost.

I tried full stereo with my Mark V and to me it sounded mushy. I love the 2x12 vert. cabs as my main tone. But when I put the stereo chorus on them the tone was gone. So I added the second set of 2x12 compact cabs.

Here is mine. It's not a standard stereo rig as only the bottom cabs are stereo but it sounds awesome. Everything on the pedalboard stays connected. I just place the cabinets, amps, set the pedal board and grab the cables walk back and plug them in. It's worth the work. The delays are in the loop, CabClone using the speaker emulation to the strymon chorus and reverb are the stereo lower cabs. With the cabclone I use the speaker emulation as the line out was not what I liked tone wise everything else is in front of the amp. I use 2 hum eliminators on either end of the line going to the pedal board, odd but it did the trick ... I have no hum. The two 2x12 vert cabs are direct from the Mark V.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to try this out.
I was think of running one with lows and mids and the 2nd with highs and blend them together.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for coverage or effect. Chorusing with the amps does sound big but note and tone articulation gets lost. If you are just splitting cabs for stage coverage, which is what I did before finishing the rig, it does allow you to play at a lower level and there is much more articulation projected to the audience without having to crank the amp up.

ATR1 said:
Thanks for the reply. I will have to try this out.
I was think of running one with lows and mids and the 2nd with highs and blend them together.
IMO As the objective is to get the tone out to the audience running the amps differently in an attempt to get the tone correct out to the crowd may prove to be difficult. It would also make the stage feel unbalanced and cause the other members of the band to tell you they cannot hear one side. Bass or low end is not your friend on stage and quite frankly it is the bass players job. Guitar is a vocal tone. For me when the vocals are going I back off to support the overall song. This allows me to be dynamic just as the drummer is dynamic hitting harder for certain parts lighter for others.

What you hear and how you set your amps when you play by yourself usually doesn't transition well to the stage. I rarely have to EQ much if any for a room and if I do it is usually cutting the highs if the room has a big hard wood stage and my amps are set way back.

Thanks again.
I am going to try out your original suggestion of 2nd amp return loop only. I want the delays,chorus in stereo.

[/img]

Well I have been running this through the left amp the FX8 post out to loop return on right amp. Sounds great. I have most effects from FX8 in post to give me the stereo effect. I will experiment more as it evolves.

If you have another amp...any amp. You could run you main boogie to get yout tone and use the slave output to send the signal to the stereo effects then to the two amps right and left.

I notice you have a 2016 Les Paul Standard. How do you like it? Did you do anything to it? I have one also, Gold Top.... I love it.

I bought a 1987 Les Paul Custom new but sold in 1991. Yea I was stupid but it had a baseball bat for a neck and was kinda bassy. I had to have an Ibanez 7 string...cause I was a rippin rocker...LOL... I so didn't know what I was doing back then... I was Mr. Digital rack guy...

I am using a Boss ES-8 to run my Mark V and Dual Rectifier in stereo.

The recto is using EL34s and the mark is using 6L6s.

The setup allows me to use either amp channel as the master, so I have the following footswitchable options:

1. Mark Clean, Stereo
2. Mark Crunch, Stereo
3. Mark Lead, Stereo
4. Green recto, Stereo
5. Orange recto, Stereo
6. Red recto, Stereo
7. Mark Crunch, Green recto, tandem
8. Orange recto, mark clean, tandem
9. Orange recto, mark lead, tandem

The tandem modes are just a subset of what's possible. These are just some of the ones I decided to set up. They all sound great.

That said, I also have a Mark V:25 I run with a set of mono options along with a Throttlebox pedal for Rectifier sounds for rehearsals and regular gigs. But for the studio the dual setup is amazing.

OldTelecasterMan said:
If you have another amp...any amp. You could run you main boogie to get yout tone and use the slave output to send the signal to the stereo effects then to the two amps right and left.

I notice you have a 2016 Les Paul Standard. How do you like it? Did you do anything to it? I have one also, Gold Top.... I love it.

I bought a 1987 Les Paul Custom new but sold in 1991. Yea I was stupid but it had a baseball bat for a neck and was kinda bassy. I had to have an Ibanez 7 string...cause I was a rippin rocker...LOL... I so didn't know what I was doing back then... I was Mr. Digital rack guy...

Yea. I transition from Ibanez over to Black Les Paul in 2012. Bought my 1st Lp. The one you saw is a 2016 and frig-gen AWESOME! They really out did themselves. Stock 60s tapered neck. Took me a while to learn how to play it. Upper register is way tighter on LPs more of two finger work most of the time and **** heel jams you up, but the sustain the tone is worth the work. I still have my IBs S-540, Jem don't play them much any more.

Yea I screwed up my photobucket the other day lost all my links and photos. Turn something off.

dlpasco said:
I am using a Boss ES-8 to run my Mark V and Dual Rectifier in stereo.

The recto is using EL34s and the mark is using 6L6s.

The setup allows me to use either amp channel as the master, so I have the following footswitchable options:

1. Mark Clean, Stereo
2. Mark Crunch, Stereo
3. Mark Lead, Stereo
4. Green recto, Stereo
5. Orange recto, Stereo
6. Red recto, Stereo
7. Mark Crunch, Green recto, tandem
8. Orange recto, mark clean, tandem
9. Orange recto, mark lead, tandem

The tandem modes are just a subset of what's possible. These are just some of the ones I decided to set up. They all sound great.

That said, I also have a Mark V:25 I run with a set of mono options along with a Throttlebox pedal for Rectifier sounds for rehearsals and regular gigs. But for the studio the dual setup is amazing.

Sounds great. My Fractal does all my switching in every preset or even every scene. I'm still experimenting setup with amps..

OldTelecasterMan said:
You might try this if the FX8 can be used in the loop. Have one main Mark generate your tone use your effects loop to generate the stereo. Effects loop send to the FX8 then send one side back the the mark that is your main and send the other side to the second mark effects loop input. That is how the tech at Boogie told me how to setup a stereo rig with two mark V amps. Basically you are using the second mark as a power amp and speaker. I could draw you a diagram if you need. This way one Mark V runs the show. Simple no hassle. You could just put a stereo chorus pedal where I put the FX8. Then you would setup your system on the first amp like normal with your FX8 and Koko boost.

I tried full stereo with my Mark V and to me it sounded mushy. I love the 2x12 vert. cabs as my main tone. But when I put the stereo chorus on them the tone was gone. So I added the second set of 2x12 compact cabs.

Here is mine. It's not a standard stereo rig as only the bottom cabs are stereo but it sounds awesome. Everything on the pedalboard stays connected. I just place the cabinets, amps, set the pedal board and grab the cables walk back and plug them in. It's worth the work. The delays are in the loop, CabClone using the speaker emulation to the strymon chorus and reverb are the stereo lower cabs. With the cabclone I use the speaker emulation as the line out was not what I liked tone wise everything else is in front of the amp. I use 2 hum eliminators on either end of the line going to the pedal board, odd but it did the trick ... I have no hum. The two 2x12 vert cabs are direct from the Mark V.

Goldtop is SWEET!

A little better picture of my 2016 Les Paul... And yea. the neck is awesome. I back the volume off on the neck pickup, put the the bridge pickup almost at 100% and then switch between them for rhythm and lead.

Some 90s Nostalgia... This was my early 1990s gig guitar.... 7 string...Ibanez...

And for a laugh.....

ATR1 said:
[/img]

Well I have been running this through the left amp the FX8 post out to loop return on right amp. Sounds great. I have most effects from FX8 in post to give me the stereo effect. I will experiment more as it evolves.

That is a very nice clean rig. I need to check out the FX8. I really have no knowledge of them or what they can do. I'm interested in how the signal can be routed. Is there more than one output that the effects can be routed to. Like I can tell there is a stereo output but is there another output that you could rout other effects to? Could send different effects to a different amps?

OldTelecasterMan said:
A little better picture of my 2016 Les Paul... And yea. the neck is awesome. I back the volume off on the neck pickup, put the the bridge pickup almost at 100% and then switch between them for rhythm and lead.

Some 90s Nostalgia... This was my early 1990s gig guitar.... 7 string...Ibanez...

And for a laugh.....

I am big fan "Looney Tunes" Growing up on bugs..
Everyone should have one of those pedals...

Here are some of my stash..
[img]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q388/rutanplg/20160918_092209 2_zpsveb5uvup.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q388/rutanplg/KRAMER_zps0vsmitex.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q388/rutanplg/201620LP_zps7ggjeonk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q388/rutanplg/JEM_zpsb6k6bkgz.jpg[/img]

That is a very nice clean rig. I need to check out the FX8. I really have no knowledge of them or what they can do. I'm interested in how the signal can be routed. Is there more than one output that the effects can be routed to. Like I can tell there is a stereo output but is there another output that you could rout other effects to? Could send different effects to a different amps?[/quote]

Its made just for us guys who love there real amps. I have had my FX8 for almost 2yrs. Great unit but does have a learning curve. Forum people are very helpful with any questions and fast. Actually the Fractal people them selves are always answering questions and the updates are always free and improving constantly. That's one of the biggest things. What other company send update on software for free on a regular basis. I am very impressed as you can tell.

Latest posts

Back