hot plate with f-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wontonefooie

Reaction score
my ears hurt ............i seem to have to crank my f 50 up to get the sound i want ,heard about the THD hot plate was wondering if any of you use it . does it change the sound of the amp ? does it really work? and whats the price ?

I use HotPlates with my Nomad and my Blue Angel. If you use the -16db setting and the reduction knob, you will get a tone that is different from your normal amp tone. Work with the onboard eq switches and your amp's eq settings to compensate.

At the -8, your amp will still sound like your amp, but will get into a more neighborhood friendly volume range.

i have an idea! instead of dumping $250 on a resisitve load hotplate that wont react like a speaker, spend $100 on a mini-mass which uses a real speaker motor so it will react to your output tubes(do f50 owners USE these?) and spend the $150 you saved on a good overdrive to get the powertubes crankin.

I use a eMiniMass on my Fender mainly because it was really cheap and came standard with RCA connectors. Works really well.

Ned

the main issue i have with this is the fact that this test in no way accounts for the way the attenutator reacts to picking and playing style. THIS i believe is the most importnat factor, keeping the sound real, as minor changes in frequnecy response can be fixed with an eq, or even minor adjustments in the amps eq. no one has stated the fact taht the hotplate flattens the signal response, ruining a good tube amp. the webber mass keeps this response as it uses a REAL speaker, and not a resistive load.

I use the Hotplate with my F-50, and am more than pleased. I get best results from either -4db or -8db attenuation.
To my ears there is no discernable tone degradation. The main adavntage for me is i can get the master up past 9 0'clock. Then you'll really see what your F50 is capable of!

musicbox said:
the main issue i have with this is the fact that this test in no way accounts for the way the attenutator reacts to picking and playing style. THIS i believe is the most importnat factor, keeping the sound real, as minor changes in frequnecy response can be fixed with an eq, or even minor adjustments in the amps eq. no one has stated the fact taht the hotplate flattens the signal response, ruining a good tube amp. the webber mass keeps this response as it uses a REAL speaker, and not a resistive load.

A speaker is a resistive load. Period. Take your pick, 2 Ohms, 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, etc, etc. The Weber, at least the MASS. just uses a speaker magnet not the whole speaker and since signal response is measured in volts your statement makes no sense, so I am not sure what your point is. Actually I am not sure what you mean by "signal response" as it is an effect not a cause.

Any facts to back up your statement? Keep in mind that I am not trying to start a fight and that I do plan on buying a MASS in the future. I just don't get what your trying to say. It irritates me when someone lists something as fact when it is opinion. We all have our opinions especially when it comes to tone. None wrong, none right. But you stating the "fact" that the THD ruins a good tube amp is, well, asinine. Not fact, opinion. I referenced the thread so the poster could glance through and maybe get some ideas/info to help him. The real test is for him to check out both or others with his own ears.

Latest posts

Back