Hot plate for Mesa F-50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveYourBoogie©

Reaction score
Greetings, just got my F-50 tone monster, and man, it is loud!
Was wondering if any F-50 users here are using a Hot plate for the Mesa F-50?

What other gear have you found for the F-50 that works good with it?

Any distortion devices that beats it's own gain channel (running through it's clean ch.) ?

TIA for any input.

I use a Hot Plate with my F-100 and it works great down to -12dB. Since you have an F-50, I'd also look at the mini-Mass since it is less expensive.

Also, if you have a volume pedal or FX processor you can attenuate the amp in the loop as well. Although loop attenuation doesn't affect the power stage like the Hot Plate does, it still allows you to the master above 9:00 where the amp really opens up.

I've not found any pedal that will spank the F-series for distortion. Although, in my old rig I was using a Marshall Guv'nor pedal for overdrive solos on the clean channel and that worked nicely.

Thanks for the tips!
There are lot of good reading in the threads here, what a great Board. I better continue reading before asking any further :eek:)

LoveYourBoogie© said:
Thanks for the tips!
There are lot of good reading in the threads here, what a great Board. I better continue reading before asking any further :eek:)
If you want even more, check this thread out: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856&perpage=100&pagenumber=1

LoveYourBoogie© said:
Jeysus! Massive information! Thanks 8)

Can anyone just post sound clips there?
Your welcome and of course anyone can post clips; just sign up for an account. I always love to hear new tones out of the F-series! :D

All you have to do is post the clips in your reply to the thread and send Dann'sTheMan the links. He'll then add the clips to the first page.

Hello. I didn't know where else to put this, but does any manufacturer make a male to female 1/4" extension cable to be able to use a hot plate in combo's and still be able to put it on top of the amp? Are there any ready made extensions or do you need to make one yourself? Where do you find female 1/4" connectors? Sorrow for all of the questions, but I've been trying to search the web for one and can't seem to locate any. If you guys used another approach, would you please let me know?

It's pretty straight forward if you are using Hot Plate with a cab, but it sort of sucks if you're trying to use your combo speaker.

Thanks! Gary-

Hey Brewsky!

I used a double 1/4" female jack adapter. Popped it onto the male plug that was attached to the speaker in the cabinet. Then I used two regular 1/4" male x 1/4" male speaker cables. The nice thing is I used 6' cables and put the Hot Plate on a shelf above the amp so I can still cover the amp to keep the dust out. I used a 1/4" angle plug coming out of the 8 ohm output of the amp to aim the cable "down" so the cover still fits over the amp. (I'm crazy, I admit it)

Same day music listed under cable accessories / adapters
NuTrik makes nice stuff.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Old-Guy!!! Finding a simple solution was driving me nuts, so I went down to Guitar Showcase and found exactly what you were talking about. I picked up an Ernie Ball female to female adapter and already had the speaker cables. That was the most cost effective and least painful way to go. I really like what the hot plate does so far, although, I just got it and haven't spent much time with it. I'm doing my level best of maintaining momma's delicate balance! My other half does not always share my enthusiasm! Thanks Again.

Brewski .................................. you made me laugh!

I too share the situation of my "other half" not always having the same "enthusiasm" as me. What a great way to put it. I'm still laughing and so's my "other half." I said to her "see, you're not alone."

The Hot Plate really is great. I had to play @ -16db today and still could not believe the tone I had. Just a great product.

Enjoy it!

Well, You know the ol' saying, when momma's not happy, no one's happy!
HAHAHA!

Yep, I agree the Hot Plate is a good product. I think that it'll help with a number of issues. Quiet playing at home, practice, recording, as well as, allowing you to find gig volume tone in your amp without the volume.

I've got to run back to the music store, though. I found out that I have a bad speaker cable. Who'd have thought that you could get a bad 12 gauge cable? I tested it for conductivity and it's shorting on the sleeve wire somewhere. Whew! At least I didn't hurt the amp! I'm glad that I'm not doing my trial runs on the Mesa! I'm using my other amp.

Back