high end distortion/clarity

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

Reaction score
I never play my Rectoverb any higher than half volume on the vintage channel with the bass around 1:30, mids around 8:30 and treble around 2:30. I notice that the presence control has a negligible effect on my sound from zero all the way to the three o'clock position; however, when it passes the three o'clock position, say, to as little as 3:15, its effect is very apparent: it brightens my sound as though some kind of veil has been lifted off the front of my 2X12. But then there's feedback. Lots of it.

Is there any way to get this bright, high end, distorted clarity without cranking the presence so far?

Run the treble control higher, after a certain point it acts like another presence control imo

unless it's the specific sounds you're after, i'd try turning the mids up a lot! at least 10...mids are the only frequencies that can add clarity to any guitar tone. i like my scooped sound also, but the recto has enough gain where you don't need to scoop them out so much. you'll find a lot of good sounds in there and it'll allow you to run the treble lower. then you can engage the presence more effectively.

As I understand Mesa tonestacks....
They go in order Treb, Mids, Bass, Pres so each pot is limited by the previous pot or pots.

I'd suggest trying:
T = 2
M = 9:30
B = 12
P = 2

Bringing down the T allows more mids and lows.
Bringing up the mids allows more lows.
You already have lows so it doesn't need to be so high.

Should allow the Presence to shine through.

Mind you this is only theoretical so try it out and let us know!

Dapper Dan said:
I never play my Rectoverb any higher than half volume on the vintage channel with the bass around 1:30, mids around 8:30 and treble around 2:30. I notice that the presence control has a negligible effect on my sound from zero all the way to the three o'clock position; however, when it passes the three o'clock position, say, to as little as 3:15, its effect is very apparent: it brightens my sound as though some kind of veil has been lifted off the front of my 2X12. But then there's feedback. Lots of it.

Is there any way to get this bright, high end, distorted clarity without cranking the presence so far?

As you can read on the manual the treble is the most powerful knob in the equalizing. What I noticed is when you using more presence you gain mid and loosing the bass authority. I know that is quite funny to get an "and justice for all" sound by increasing both bass and treble and decreasing the mid section.What's happening is when you boost the bass over the mid, you don't have the "body" of the sound or punch when you play. Notice that (if you like a lot of presence like me) if you put the mid at 1:00 you will ear more the difference when you gonna reach 4:00 with the bass (those frequency are very interactive) then if their is too much mid decrease it slowly with the bass(that you don't need so much without mid) at the same time. Try something, put all knob(treble,mid,bass and presence) down and play with the volume you will see what is left. Notice the are interactive that's why maybe the treble lose his power because the bass that you pushed a little...the bass (that you can't hear much with a 2X12 cab) is actually very powerfull with the mesa amplifier. You can always decrease the bass a little then you will be able to hear the difference when you decrease the mid and your sound will appear thinner, more sparkling with a lot more treble.

If you play beside your cab only the low frequency gonna come to your hears. But if put the cab in front of you at your head level you gonna ear maybe too much high frequency.

Maybe you know... the vintage mode is active automatically when you hit the solo mode, so you can use as a third channel with his own volume (solo knob)(that's what i'm doing) when you can boost the volume another way(by effect processor, pedal in the loop whatever....) and that feedback (not suppose to have so much) is very usefull for the solos.

For the bright you would be better with the modern high gain mode(still have the vintage option with the solo switch), modern mode has a circuit against feedback. When you play loud you have to decrease the gain around 1:00 or 2:00 (less or more depend on your style of music), boost the sound with the (channel's) master volume and leave the output around 12:00 or a little more.
That way you're supposed to have an agressive sound, cutting like blade with a very low noise in your speaker. Too many factore can have an impact on your feedback problem are you close to your amp when it happen? Are the tubes brand new? What kind of pickup you use, active or passive?[high end passive pickup can give a lot of feedback....

As you said, you use to play at low volume then you can put the master volume very low, the ouput volume about at 10:00 but that way i suggest you to decrease presence around 11:00, like this you will gain bass naturally so decrease it, cause it will veil the mid and the treble that you can push all the way to pierce the dark sound(no choice at that level of volume)

When you don't play so much power tube(6l6 or EL34) can last about 1.5 or 2 years, the preamp (12ax7) 2 or 2.5 years...if they are old of course you can hear variation in the volume or more feedback than the usuall, unwanted noise and all other problem(in the manual)...

You could ever try a three-quarter cab cause the way you're speaking you have the closed back recto cab. But you will have to increase the volume for having better sound cause the speaker are more powerfull(C90 in 3/4) and they need to be pushed for better result. If you want more bass try a 4X12 standard cab (slant or straight) you won't believe the difference!

So my best answer to your question is to follow directive when you play a little loud (get more gain by the master volume...decrease the gain knob...).

I hope that my tricks has been helpful to you! They worked very well with my solo head 50 and still do with my recto pre and my 2:100. :twisted:

Cheers! 8)

What exactly do you mean with the vintage mode being engaged with the solo function? I've never heard of this.....

ibanez4life SZ! said:
What exactly do you mean with the vintage mode being engaged with the solo function? I've never heard of this.....

Sorry man. I've been checking on the manual about, now I'm not shure anymore about it cause I own a recto pre(with2:00) and solo only use to switch modern modern mode to the vintage(solo is the vintage volume). They're telling in the manual that they can send a diagram for the mod if people want this function to work as a boost over the channel but suggest to try it (I did and I love that function).

Your solo switch is an overall boost wired in parallel with your ouput volume.

I use to own a solo head 50 but I've sold it and I bought the recto pre that is working that different way if you use the ext.trigger to the power. After I saw the indicator light (for modern) to close when I was switching on solo I tought that' was the same for the head (thats what mesa says same circuitry like dualrectifier :? ...not for switching...).

Still you can try to set your ouput volume at the same level with the solo and switch (while your on modern mode) to the solo to see if the style of sound stay the same (and that's I believe what is going to happen cause I've read it in the manual 30 second ago from the mesa website).

Sorry again for this little confusion :oops: that's my mistake. Anyway that overall boost is certainly more advantageous for you.

And what about your feedback problem is it solved? Do you think it's time to change your power tubes(usually feeback with a lot of noise when they're worn)? To be shure you can always buy a matched pair of 6L6 an try it (if you think your power amp's tubes are old (about 2 years).

Platypus said:
Run the treble control higher, after a certain point it acts like another presence control imo

I agree with this 100% because that is exactly how my dual is. If i turn the treble down i get too much of that scooped sound imo not a great tone thing so i crank my treble to about 2-3 o'clock and adjust my gain to my taste and thats done. Then lower the bass adn bring up the mids a tad and it should clear up ur sound.

Latest posts

Back