HI-GAIN Monsters

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this wasn't on the list,but I just test drove a Randall RM100 and Jesus Christ! What a sweet amp,and a great wall of gain!

tell ya what, i got some insane hi gain outta my f-50 with a little clean boost from a tube screamer. i had my les paul vintage mahogany with the 500t pickups last jam and i accidentally left the tube screamer (set as a clean boost) on on channel 2 with the contour on. sounded sick. too much gain for "my" tone, but sick sounding nonetheless. :twisted:

All out gain monster....

Peavey Triple X, I haven't run into anything that out "gains" it...it has a unique Marshall-esque sound with lots of thump. While I like the tone of other amps much better for most of my applications; the Triple X, by no means, sounds bad and I can't sell just because it has such a rediculious amount of gain.

Binner said:
All out gain monster....

Peavey Triple X, I haven't run into anything that out "gains" it...it has a unique Marshall-esque sound with lots of thump. While I like the tone of other amps much better for most of my applications; the Triple X, by no means, sounds bad and I can't sell just because it has such a rediculious amount of gain.

Yeah, I second that. I recently went to a Sam Ash to try out a guitar with an EMG-60 in the neck, and ended up playing a ESP LTD EC-400 through on of these (after the guy asked me what amp i played through and tried to hook me up to "something similar") He cranked the gain on that thing and I have to say it's got a lot. I mean, i wouldn't ever trade my Triple Recto in for it, and the gain on my amp can easily give it a run for it's money, but it doesn't sound bad at all for the price tag.

-AJH

It is my understanding that those who cannot afford a Rec often settle for a XXX. I have even heard it referred to as the poorman's Rec.

I think the similarity between the Triple X and Recto stops at metal grills, three channels, and high gain. They sound nothing alike, and I have both. Its not a poor man's recto, Line6 is.

I don't think a knock off quite fits it either, that would mean that any high gain tube head with a decent amount of high end and some thump from post 1991 or so would be a recto knock off. Most modern amps would fit that description. The Triple X has far more gain, a smoother sheen to the distortion and is voiced very differently from a Recto, I don't think Peavey was copping the Recto at all.

Binner said:
Its not a poor man's recto, Line6 is.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, to me the Triple XXX sounded nothing like the Recto. The Rectos have a very unique gain sound, and the Peavey doesn't come close to it. I'm not saying it doesn't sound good, it's just not in the ball park of a Recto. Like Binner said earlier, the only similarities are the 3 channels and the metal grille.

-AJH

Hello all! About 6 mo's ago, I tried a Hughes and Kettner Alex Lifeson Sig Amp. It had MASSIVE amounts of gain and was very versatile. Three distinct channels with a boost available in each channel for a total of 6 different sounds. It just was not my cup o' tea. I'm more into prog metal and prog jazz, with traditional jazz to make some extra dough on the weekends...hence my Roadster channel 2 fat 100 watts tubes and spongy. Wes Montgomery heaven, but I digress.....

Latest posts

Back