Hi all! Newbie here with a Heartbreaker problem....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewy

Reaction score
Hi,

Only just discovered this board, and what a find! I've been a huge Boogie fan since I got my first proper amp (a DC-5) some years ago. Since then I've had a MkIII, a Mark IV and a Recto. Then I went away from Boogies for a couple of years and now I'm back in full effect with a Heartbreaker head I've recently picked up:

mesa.jpg

All is working fine except it keeps blowing fuses when in 100 watt mode. It doesn't do it in 60 watt, so it's still usable but I need to sort out the problem (I'm kicking myself for not trying it in 100 watt mode when I tried it out :? ). Any ideas what could be causing that?

I tried a different GZ34 and the problem persisted. Also, on the topic of rectifiers, how can the amp generate 100 watts from a single GZ34? I didn't think you could get more than about 50 watts from one?

Any info or insight gratefully received!

You MAY have an issue with one set of the powertubes. This would explain why it only blows on 60 watt mode, assuming that 100watt uses all 4 and 60 uses 2. To check(if you don't mind blowing a few more), and if you KNOW for a fact that 60 watt mode only uses 2 tubes, then you can try pulling a set and running it on 2. If it runs on one set of 2, but the other set blows a fuse, then you have your answer. Alternatively you could email/call mesa. Beyond this I can't help you much as I've never seen a heartbreaker outside of the net.

Question, besides the fuse blowing, how do you like the heartbreaker? What kind of tones does it make? Which Mesa's would you compare to it?

Andy.

musicbox said:
Question, besides the fuse blowing, how do you like the heartbreaker? What kind of tones does it make? Which Mesa's would you compare to it?

Andy.

Problem turned out to be a bad switch in the end. All fine now.

I love the Heartbreaker. It's a really warm sounding amp, with a very vintage character. In terms of comparing it to other boogies, then it's definitely in the Mark series camp.

As with most boogies I've ever owned, you need to tweak the EQ carefully - and you need to keep the Bass down low for anything other than clean tones. I think this is why a lot of the online reviews of the Heartbreaker criticise it for sounding muddy - if you dial it in the way you'd dial in a Marshall or Fender then it does sound very muddy, but dial it in properly and it's great.

Those considering buying a new Lonestar would be well advised to check out a Heartbreaker before they splash the cash imo.

Mesa recommends using silicone diode rectifier with EL34's particularly running all 4 tubes. In fact thay recommend REMOVING the recto tube when using 4 EL 34's. Additionally Mesa recommends using the 5AR4 recto tube for 100 watt operation and the 5U4g only for 50 watt operation. Futhermore -- they recommend (But don't insist) on using the Tweed power option with EL 34's. They tell me that the full power will shorten EL34 tube life significantly (though not otherwise damage the amp). Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back