help with my new dual rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASON350

Reaction score
I just bought a dual rectifier with a 2x12 cabinet it sounds excellent. However I want to make my distortion tighter I don’t know what effect to get or use. I want to get a metallica like distortion.
I have a boss GT 6 that I’m running through the fx loop, but it is horrible for clean sounds, try using the chorus with the acoustic guitar effect to get that JC 120 clean but every time I turn the acoustic effect on I get this loud crying sound. I have no idea how to make the acoustic effect work with my dual rec, the chorus works ok.

can you guys point me in the right direction to get a metallica like sound those of you that have the GT6 how can use the acoustic effect with chorus

Or should I get a new processor??

ho man i'm sorry i posted the same thing 4 times. i'm at work and the internet sucks

you prolly wont get that jc120 with a rec or be very hard to get that sound but try boosting it maybe?

Not familiar with the GT-6 and how the line in/out's work. I will tell you in general if your looking for "Metallica" cleans or that type of distortion it's going to be difficult with the DR. Early Metallica used old Marshalls, Mark 2c+, and Mark III's. Totally different animals from the DR's gain structure and voicing. For newer Metallica, Load forward, the DR should work great.

For decent cleans you'll need to roll the gain way back on the clean channel with mild delay in the loop. If you can remove any sort of distortion voicing from the GT-6 I'd recommend that using the on board effects.

You can get close to older Metallica distortion by swapping from the 6L6's and going with a set of EL-34's and pushing the front of the amp with a tube screamer. Pick ups will have a big effect on this as well.

A lot of guys like the g-force if you looking to spend extra money. In my experience DR's work better and retain their tone with less effects.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

WHAT IF I WAS TO GET THE IBANEZ TUBE SCREAMER TOGET THE METALLICA DISTORTION?

most of the people on this forum like using the MaxonOD808 to tighten up their rectifiers.

In short, not to sound like a jerk, but you picked the wrong amp. It's going to take a lot of time to try to get close to the old metallica sound with a DR. A Mark2, 3, or 4 would've gotten you there instantly.

You can try several things though....namely:
-invest in a pedal (maxon seems to work best for people here)
-emg pickups
-graphic eq pedal/rack
-tube changes
-mahogany guitar
-use the vintage channel
-dial back the bass, but NOT the mids
-don't overuse gain. The metallica sound is all volume!

The GT6 is a good processor. However, you have a tube amp now, so you can't be using it for effects such as "acoustic." Chances are the cryin sound you're referring to is because the amp's effects loop is not compatible with that type of effect. You also have to watch how you set the send and return levels...DR efx loops are finicky things.

Elpelotero said:
most of the people on this forum like using the MaxonOD808 to tighten up their rectifiers.

In short, not to sound like a jerk, but you picked the wrong amp. It's going to take a lot of time to try to get close to the old metallica sound with a DR. A Mark2, 3, or 4 would've gotten you there instantly.

You can try several things though....namely:
-invest in a pedal (maxon seems to work best for people here)
-emg pickups
-graphic eq pedal/rack
-tube changes
-mahogany guitar
-use the vintage channel
-dial back the bass, but NOT the mids
-don't overuse gain. The metallica sound is all volume!

The GT6 is a good processor. However, you have a tube amp now, so you can't be using it for effects such as "acoustic." Chances are the cryin sound you're referring to is because the amp's effects loop is not compatible with that type of effect. You also have to watch how you set the send and return levels...DR efx loops are finicky things.

good post!

Call me crazy. I have been bouncing between my Quad and Road King. The RK on Ch3 vintage with the 2xEL34/2x6L6 combo and a OD pushing the front, the sound is pretty close to the quad on Lead 2. It's still has the Recto bottom and sag but the sound is almost the same. Just the Quad is wicked tight and the Recto not so tight.

Read carefully to what Elpelotero and clutch71 they are right...

Congrats and welcome!

YEAH I WAS THINKING OF BUYING A MARK IV BUT I DIDN'T CAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT IN STOCK. BUT I THINK I'M GOING TO RETURN THE DUAL REC AND ORDER MY SELF A MARK IV.

ONCE I GET THE MARK IV WHAT KIND OF EFFECT PROCESOR WOULD WORK BEST THAT I CAN RUN THROUGH THE FX LOOP. I DONT WANT TO BUY STUFF THAT I DONT NEED.

LIKE I SAID BEFORE I WHAT TO GET THAT METALLICA LIKE DISTORTION.
IF I GET THE MARK FOR WHAT KIND OF SET UP UP SHOULD I GET A COMBO AMP OR THE HEAD AND BUY A CAB

THANKS ALOT EVERY ONE. I SHOULD HAVE COME TO THIS FORUM BEFORE BUYING MY DR, LUCK THAT IT WAS ONLY 3 DAYS EGO.

I've got a really good metallica type distortion going on with my triple recto 3 channel. My settings are roughly as follows (i only get to play my amp on weekends):
pretty good clean for me:

Ch1
Clean mode
Bass 2:00
Mid 10:00
Treble 2:30
Presence 10:00-11:00
Master 12:00
Gain 12:00-12:30

fuller, chunkier sound:
Ch2:
Vintage mode
Bass: 2:00
Mid 10:30
Treble 1:30
Presence 9:30-10:00
Master 12:30
Gain 2:00

More treble, a little scoopier sound:
Ch 3
Vintage Mode
Bass 2:30
Mid 10:30-11:00
Presence 9:00
Gain 2:00-2:30

Silicon Diodes/Bold Variac
FX Loop Engaged
Output: 12:30 ( I play in a storage unit, and get to really crank it up :twisted:)

I use a Mahogany ESP Explorer with EMG-81's and a Recto Standard 4x12" cab with Vintage 30's.

MesaENGR412 said:
I've got a really good metallica type distortion going on with my triple recto 3 channel. My settings are roughly as follows (i only get to play my amp on weekends):
pretty good clean for me:

Ch1
Clean mode
Bass 2:00
Mid 10:00
Treble 2:30
Presence 10:00-11:00
Master 12:00
Gain 12:00-12:30

fuller, chunkier sound:
Ch2:
Vintage mode
Bass: 2:00
Mid 10:30
Presence 9:30-10:00
Gain 2:00

More treble, a little scoopier sound:
Ch 3
Vintage Mode
Bass 2:30
Mid 10:30-11:00
Presence 9:00
Gain 2:00-2:30

Silicon Diodes/Bold Variac
FX Loop Engaged
Output: 12:30 ( I play in a storage unit, and get to really crank it up :twisted:)

I use a Mahogany ESP Explorer with EMG-81's and a Recto Standard 4x12" cab with Vintage 30's.

I AGREE, I GET GOOD CRUNCHY DISTORTION OF MY DUAL REC. ANY WAYS I THINK WITH SOME KIND OF EQULIZER I CAN CHANGE THE SOUND A LITTLE AND GET THE SOUND I WANT. DO YOU USE ANY EFFECTS TO BOOST THE DISTORTION.

I think your best bet is with a mark series amp...I'd look in to getting a mark 4 or a fully loaded mark 3.

metallica uses closed back cabs, which result in a punchier and tighter sound. Try going for a Stilleto4x12 if you have the money, space, and ability to crank the volume. If not, try going for a small 2x12. Last choice would be a combo with an EV12 speaker

It sounds like you really want to try an overdrive pedal. Buy one from GC and give it a go. I think you will like it. Dont use it alone on your clean channel,, set up your amps gain where you like it then engage the OD on top of your amps gain. Pedals volume high and gain very low. You will see. It will help tighten things up some, add sustain and so on but dont expect a totally different sounding amp.
And while people here stated that the mark4 is your best bet, if you continue to read through the threads on this forum you will find that most of these people will tell you that the mark4 is the the perfect choice for everything and anything. The mark4 is an incredible amp indeed, but do yourself a very big favor and try one before you buy it. I did three different times and it just wasnt for me. Dont want to rain on your parade here, but the mark4 takes a great while to dial your sounds in. It deffinatly isnt an amp like a marshall or even my deuce where you can spend a couple minutes adjusting to find that sweet sound. And if you enjoy the dual rec's brutal chugga, chugga type distortion at all, you can pretty much forget about that with the Mark4. Just do yourself a big favor and try some of these amps first. Try and find a mom and pop type store in your area who is a mesa dealer. These are the type of places who carry all the different boogies,,, GC normally carries the amps they think will fly off the shelves quickly. Good luck to you.

JASON350 said:
I just bought a dual rectifier with a 2x12 cabinet it sounds excellent. However I want to make my distortion tighter I don’t know what effect to get or use. I want to get a metallica like distortion.
I have a boss GT 6 that I’m running through the fx loop, but it is horrible for clean sounds, try using the chorus with the acoustic guitar effect to get that JC 120 clean but every time I turn the acoustic effect on I get this loud crying sound. I have no idea how to make the acoustic effect work with my dual rec, the chorus works ok.

can you guys point me in the right direction to get a metallica like sound those of you that have the GT6 how can use the acoustic effect with chorus

Are you using the 4-cable method? I ditched my gt-6 since it will really suck to tone out of your amp, but if you must, the 4-cable method is the way to go, it will put the fx in the right pre/post position.

TheBlackman said:
JASON350 said:

Are you using the 4-cable method? I ditched my gt-6 since it will really suck to tone out of your amp, but if you must, the 4-cable method is the way to go, it will put the fx in the right pre/post position.

i made all the conections like the DR's manual says do the wireing. i agree it suck the tone out of the amp, so i dont use it any more.

recto robbie yeah i want to try a mark iv before i exchange my DR. i dont know were to go. the only place that i know sales mesa is guitar center and they dont have in stock mark iv.
i dont know what you ment by brutal chugga, but i like that crunchy like rasp sound. i really like my DR and even more after i dial the settings MesaENGR412 gave me. however i want that master of puets tight sound.
though i can't have the both.

I've had a chance to play my friend's Mark IV a few times now with my DR there for comparison.

I believe what recto-robbie meant by "brutal chugga, chugga type distortion" is what I observed: The DR just completely owns the Mark when it comes to drop-D, lower fret (0 - 8) palm muting with rhythmic picking.

I would say if you want Kirk Hammett's tone, the Mark IV is probably better suited for it. Personally, I'm in love with Tool's (Adam Jones') tone and a DR really nails Undertow/Opiate/Aenima whilst a Diezel is more suited for Lateralus / 10,000 Days.

well i'm gonna start by buying a new effects processor. how can saturate my the DR's distortion with out loosing the tone i just want to tight it up a little and make it more saturated? i was thinking of getting the G major.
will that work? any ways i have to get a new effects processor cause my gt 6 is not really made for the fx loop so the sounds i get are bad, chnage the tone of the amp too much.

any ideas on other effect processors?

thanks

JASON350 said:
well i'm gonna start by buying a new effects processor. how can saturate my the DR's distortion with out loosing the tone i just want to tight it up a little and make it more saturated? i was thinking of getting the G major.
will that work? any ways i have to get a new effects processor cause my gt 6 is not really made for the fx loop so the sounds i get are bad, chnage the tone of the amp too much.

any ideas on other effect processors?

thanks

Saturation = Volume.Volume.Volume. Try this...Volume on 11, Output on 11 Gain at 2:30-3 eq to taste. I usually keep run the presence at 2;30, Bass at 12, Mids at 11, and treble about 1.

Remember the mids add to the gain structure. Metallica is a very mid scooped sound. With a Ibanez TS808 Reissue (should even complement a MKIV down the road)out front and a set of EL34's you'll be close to that Metallica sound and have plenty of saturation.

Thanks every one.

My current set up: ESP neck though body with EMG 81s/85. Dual rec with 2x12 cab

I just got the Ibanez tube screamer and what a change. It sounds tighter and saturated even at lower volume. The best was that the pedal didn’t change the amps tone. i'm a step close to what i want, but there's still room for improvement, though I still got to play with it more before I can change it for the mark IV

Back