Help with LSS sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivabiggun

Reaction score
I a lss that I bought in Dec. 2005. When playing the bridge single coil on my strat I hear some out-of-tune notes and a shrill sound. Especially noticable on the higher frets and g to e stings. A GT 12AX7-M in v1 and four slightly used JJ'S did seem to help a small bit. Then I installled new Tung sol 12ax7's in v1 and v2, and a JAN Phillips in v5 and new EH el-84's. It did not make much difference at all. I have an early 80s Marshal 4x12 with 15 ohm G12-65's, one of Marshall''s best speakers ever. That helps a little. I am considering installing a Hellatone 30 from Avatar. I am not going to spend ridiculous somes of money on NOS tubes. For 1700.00 plus tax it should sound good right out of the box. Any thought please?

Leftygtrman

Sounds to me like "cone cry".. Are you playing it pretty loud when you here these "ghost notes"? If so, I'd say it's cone cry... you get this from the speaker cone vibrating too much.... and it usually happens at louder volumes. My AC30 1x12 did this at loud volumes and my Deluxe does it too, not so much now that i've changed speakers.

Sounds like you got a bad speaker or it was damaged in shipping. But because your 65's only helped a little it might point towards something internal. Your warranty shoul dstill cover your amp. I would replace the Mesa tubes and take it in for service.

On the other side of the coin, how does your guitar sound through other amps? How do the other pickups sound through your LSS?

Try lowering your pickups. Strats are notorious for string pull, which can cause ghost notes.

Back