Help Please: Mesa Boogie Dual Recto 2 Channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
I recently bought a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto 2 Channel off ebay.
I wasnt happy with the sound so I retubed it through Dougs tubes.

After retubing the amp I am still unhappy with the volume it is putting out.
It is barely audible at 10'o clock....

Oh and when I turn on my distortion pedal when using effects loop, i get a constant feedback...

Hopefully someone can help me...

Is your distortion pedal in the loop? If so, take it out cuz they really shouldn't be in there :)

Did you retube the preamp and poweramp section? If so, then you most likely will need to have a tech look at the amp.

alright I thought as much!

(this is the fist tube amp i bought) By the preamp and poweramp section, you mean the big tubes and the small tube at the back?

Ah I was hoping it wouldnt have to come to that... I dont think there are many mesa boogie techs in Ireland....
ahhhh
:(

I stopped using the loop after i kept getting constant feedback...

Yeah im now connecting all my pedals straight to the input jack....

Its definitely not the cables/guitar problem....

Would the volume be affected where i actually place my tubes?
ie. what way they lineup on the inside....

Yes and no. If the tubes are all brand new, of the same brand/rating, then there shouldn't be any difference. If they were old tubes then there could be a difference because some might be in better shape than the rest.

Yep, the little ones are the preamp tubes (12ax7) and the larger ones are the power tubes (6L6 or EL34). One other thing though, did you retube the tube rectifiers? Also be sure that the power tubes and tube rectifiers are in their correct location. I know a few folks that accidentally switched them and it caused some trouble with their amps.

Make sure your fx loop control is set to bypass too :)

Yeah I got Doug to fix me a whole set...

the 5u4GB's, they are the rectifier tubes??
i have one on the left as your looking from the back, then the four 6l6's and the final 5u4GB....
Is that correct?

haha! yeah loop is set to bypass....
If it were only that simple...

5u4s are the rectifier tubes :)

Nooooooooooooooooooo, looking from the back, it should be powertubes then the rectifier tubes. It should be:

power, power, power, power, rectifier, rectifier

Change it ASAP to avoid damage :)

Like this :)
Recto_Rackrear_Lgr.gif

Chris said:
Really!
thats from left to right from looking behind?

Yup, if you are lucky, no serious damage will have happened. But it's possible because of the mismatch in tube locations (rectifier in a power tube position, power in a rectifier position). If you were running in spongy/diode, you are most likely safe. If you were in bold/tube....cross your fingers.

thanks! its much better now!
(i put the tubes in the way they appeared in the ebay pics)

but i still expected more from the volume....

What could have been damaged when i was using it?

Hey bud, I'd suggest you download a manual from the Mesa sight before you continue with this amp!

yeah agree these manuals are the grail when using mesa'a they tell you EVERYTHING but how to get the grailtone,and tahts inly cause thats subjective haha,

as stated earlier you should probably check your fx loop as this can affect your volume if the mix isnt sitting right and the loop is enabled,if you are wanting to uase thew amp without the master volume then bypass the loop and use the channel volumes but if you engage it then have the send level etc set all the way up and then start bringing them back down to suit you!!!

Hope this helps,also I would phone Westside distribution they are the dealers over here in Scotland and Im pretty sure they do all of the UK(If in NI)and they will tell you where to find your nearest tech.Im pretty lucky that my local mesa tech lives in the next village down and he does all the teching (or most of it)for the whole of the UK,pretty good for me,even a few years ago he was only a half hours drive

Ok westside distribution is here
Tel. 0141 248 4812
Fax.0141 248 4831
Web. www.westsidedistribution.com
e-mail [email protected]

have a check,they cover all of the UK and Eire,If that helps!!! :):):)

Back