Help Please, about cab impedance(Especially for Recto Users)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongh1217

Reaction score
Hi every one, I'm new to this board, I got a Serie2 Solo50 Head, which only have 2 for 4ohm and 1 for 8 ohm output jack on the Head, My cab is 16ohm, I'm wondering if it's OK to connect the Head's 8ohm Jack to 16ohm cab?

As Mesa state in the manual, 8 ohm head connect to 16 ohm cab is called "SAFE Mismatch", And it suppose to be ok to run it that way.

But, apart from that, All the information that I can find tells me it's BAD for the AMP if the impedance is MisMatched.

How ever, I'm still wish to have a correct answers, because you guys plays Mesa too, and if it's BAD to mismatch the impedance between Amp and Head, Why Mesa said it's OK in their Manual?

a 16 ohm cab should be fine going into the 8ohm jack. its bad if it
were the other way around, the load was too low for the amp.
youll be fine. if you want, theres a way to rewire the cab to be 8 ohms,
its not very difficult but you may want to get some help with it.
keep rockin!

Like said above, it's a safe mismatch, but you'll loose quite a bit of volume.

What kind of cab and how many speakers do you have? Unless it's a 1x12 you'll be able to rewire it for 4ohm or 8ohm if you'd like.

A big thank you to all you people, Thank you!

The cab is 5150 cab with 4 shiefild 5150 16 ohm speaker, I think it's possible to wire to 4ohm,

:?: Gotta another question here, does any one here know that if I want put 2 Vintage30 into my 5150 cab and mix with 2 stock speaker, is that possible to do, Because V30 are 8ohm. :?:

Thank you very much for all your response! Thank you!

Not a good idea to mix 8- and 16-ohm spk's in the same box. You can get V30's in 16-ohm as well.

As far as your existing cab, running it into the 8-ohm jack will be safe, but you will lose volume and the amp will sound darker. Best bet would be to connect all 4 spk's in parallel for a 4-ohm load, and use the 4-ohm jack on the amp.

no soul said:
not if you run them at the impedance they are meant to.

+1...they sound the same to me (8 or 16 ohm)
However, the V30's that Celestion makes for Mesa sound quite a bit different (better IMO) than the standard V30. These are also available in 8 or 16 ohm.

Latest posts

Back