help on triple rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoned_gods

Reaction score
i just bought a triple rec from a local pawn shop and when i turned it on i heard a radio or ham radio coming through is that normal or should i have it checked out.i played it for about 2 weeks and i didnt happen anymore,although it did happen again today,and also was wondering if any one else has a problem getting pinch harmonix with there recs. i can get great harminix on the bottom 3 but i have to put effort in it,and hardly nothing on the top 3 strings. i use an ibanez 550 with zakk wylde pick ups 81/85 and a les paul with two emg 81's and the battery's are good.should i retube it? does anyone think that might be the prob. it has the stock str 430 6l6 and the stock 5u's and they all seem to be working. i am looking for the squeel like zakk gets and i can get better harmonix on my junk crate.i love the sound i get out of vintage mode in channel 3 if i was a rythm guitarist i wouldnt have no prob. with it but when i go into leads it just lacks the extra balls and harmonix that i desire. :twisted:

Get an overdrive. Something like an Ibanez TS-9 or Boss SD-1.....both will boost the right frequencies and give you the compression you need to push those pinch harmonics out.

As screamingdaisy said, drive that pup with an OD.

Wouldn't hurt to retube it either, I'm not saying that will fix your problem but you don't know what the last owner did to it considering you got it from a pawn shop... it's probably time for a retube anyway.

As far as the radio, that happens.. I couldn't tell you why but I'm sure someone here can. There's nothing 'wrong' with it though so I imagine thats all you wanted to hear.

I would consider a re-tube, being you no nothing of it's history! I would'nt though recommend an overdrive pedal! That Mesa is more than capable for the amount of gain your looking for, it may just take some dialing in, both with the amp's controls and your technique!

jbird said:
I would consider a re-tube, being you no nothing of it's history! I would'nt though recommend an overdrive pedal! That Mesa is more than capable for the amount of gain your looking for, it may just take some dialing in, both with the amp's controls and your technique!

+1 on the re-tube.

Normally I'd agree.....I don't like using ODs on them myself; but he wants it to squeel like a pig, and I've found that to that end it works better with an OD pushing it. It's not about adding gain, more about the frequencies an OD typically boosts.

screamingdaisy said:
jbird said:

+1 on the re-tube.

Normally I'd agree.....I don't like using ODs on them myself; but he wants it to squeel like a pig, and I've found that to that end it works better with an OD pushing it. It's not about adding gain, more about the frequencies an OD typically boosts.

Exactly, it doesn't add gain, just pushes the frequencies needed for harmonic squeal.

The radio noise can come from a few different places, but the first thing I would look at is your cables. A poorly shielded cable can act like an antenna, and the problem gets worse with added gain. Another likely candidate is the power coming into your amp. Make sure you have a proper ground, and try using a power conditioner or computer-type power strip with a good EMI/RFI rating. Tubes can pick up radio signals as well, but this is not as common, so check the easy/cheap fixes first.

As for the pinches, its all in the way you EQ your amp. Try boosting the mids a bit. An OD or EQ into the front end can help but its not really nessessary. With your EMG pups, try adjusting them closer to the strings, and use heavy picks made of a hard material.

You probably know this, but are you playing the amp low? Mesas wake up when you push them......

Also, I would highly recommend a retube.....might bring some life back to the amp.

And OD would help, but, like said, I'm not a fan of pushing the mesa with an OD either.

thanx guys for all of the help!!! i was just realy worried about the radio coming through,but i guess thats nothing to worry about. i am gonna go with a retube this week and see if that helps any.been doing some research for days now on tubes ,i am gonna go with eurotubes since everyone seems to like him,just dont realy know what tube kit to get although i guess when i call him he will give me the best,i want my amp to have some big balls,and screaming /warm leads. if that dont give me the umph i need i will try the ts- 9 although i used to run a ts-9 through a vintage tubed crate and it always gave me an anoying hum but that could of been an old ts-9 since it was one of the first made or just because it was a crate. lol :twisted:

NoGlassNoClass said:
The radio noise can come from a few different places, but the first thing I would look at is your cables. A poorly shielded cable can act like an antenna, and the problem gets worse with added gain. Another likely candidate is the power coming into your amp. Make sure you have a proper ground, and try using a power conditioner or computer-type power strip with a good EMI/RFI rating. Tubes can pick up radio signals as well, but this is not as common, so check the easy/cheap fixes first.

As for the pinches, its all in the way you EQ your amp. Try boosting the mids a bit. An OD or EQ into the front end can help but its not really nessessary. With your EMG pups, try adjusting them closer to the strings, and use heavy picks made of a hard material.

i use an akg wireless do you think that might be the prob, although i have have plugged straight in and couldnt tell any difference.

if you would like to check out some of my leads you can go here http://www.myspace.com/failsafeil only the first 2 songs,although i didnt realy utilise the pinch harmonix then. now i use them through all of my leads

stoned_gods said:
i use an akg wireless do you think that might be the prob, although i have have plugged straight in and couldnt tell any difference.

I dont think the wireless is a problem (but anything is possible). I was using an ART hum eliminator to break a ground loop problem I was having, and it picked up radio and tv signals like mad. It works by lifting the ground on one of the signal cables (FX return in this case) and completely eliminated hum, but the ungrounded cable picked up radio. The fix was to use a separate power supply for front end vs fx loop pedals. That took care of the hum and without any further need of the hum-eliminator the radio/tv interferance is gone too.

JJ/Eurotubes...Have my Triple loaded with all JJ glass and IMO it sounds fantastic. Hi-Gain front end kit, 6L6GC power, and GZ34 rec's. Well worth the money, and suitable for just about any style of music. Bob @ eurotubes has been a pleasure to deal with, and the tubes are of high quality.

JJ/Eurotubes...Have my Triple loaded with all JJ glass and IMO it sounds fantastic. Hi-Gain front end kit, 6L6GC power, and GZ34 rec's. Well worth the money, and suitable for just about any style of music. Bob @ eurotubes has been a pleasure to deal with, and the tubes are of high quality.[/quote]
THATS GREAT MAN THANX FOR THE INFO!! I WAS GONNA GO FOR THE HIGH GAIN KIT ,I AM GLAD I GOT TO TALK WITH SOMEONE THAT REALY USES THEM -- EVERYONE ELSE HAS AN OPINION ON THEM. SOME LOVE THEM AND SOME HATE BUT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST THEY SAY PS. I DONT HAVE A TRIPLE REC. THO THAT SAYS TO ME THAT THEY REALY DONT KNOW,ANY WAY I AM GETTING THE HIGH GAIN KIT THIS WEEK, I WILL POST MY THOUGHTS AFTER I INSTALL THEM ,EVEN THO I ALREADY KNOW I AM GONNA BE BLOWN AWAY!!!!!

I have the JJ integrated quad and boost it with a TS9. I can make it squeal!

What's your master volume set at? It may just be difficult because you are playing at bedroom levels.

Hi there, I'm new to the board but not to Boogies. Anyway, I noticed the question about the radio interfernence with the Triple Rec and my Dual Rec does this on occassion as well. It happens at practice although I've not had it occur playing out live. It picks up CB radio talk every now and then when trucks are in the area. It also picks up some interference from my cell phone if it rings in close proximity to the amp. I'm the original owner of this head and it was re-tubed about 4 months ago by an authorized Mesa tech. As for the pinch harmonics, I noticed it takes some messing with the Boogie to get the right tone but once its there you'll be happy. My Dual Rec just rips live! Depending on the settings use, I sometimes also add in my Fulltone OCD pedal. Its a nice pedal that does not destroy my Boogie tone but enhances it.
I don't think your Triple Rec has anything wrong with it from what you described although I'm no tech.

Roodyrocker said:
Hi there, I'm new to the board but not to Boogies. Anyway, I noticed the question about the radio interfernence with the Triple Rec and my Dual Rec does this on occassion as well. It happens at practice although I've not had it occur playing out live. It picks up CB radio talk every now and then when trucks are in the area. It also picks up some interference from my cell phone if it rings in close proximity to the amp. I'm the original owner of this head and it was re-tubed about 4 months ago by an authorized Mesa tech. As for the pinch harmonics, I noticed it takes some messing with the Boogie to get the right tone but once its there you'll be happy. My Dual Rec just rips live! Depending on the settings use, I sometimes also add in my Fulltone OCD pedal. Its a nice pedal that does not destroy my Boogie tone but enhances it.
I don't think your Triple Rec has anything wrong with it from what you described although I'm no tech.

THANX FOR THE ADVICE MAN! AND ALSO IF YOU WILL --WOULD YOU OR ANY ONE ELSE POST SOME OF YOUR SETTINGS,FOR THE SECOND AND THIRD CHANNELS.

I HAVE MAINLY USED JUST THE 3RD CHANNEL ON VINTAGE --BOLD/TUBE NORMAL

PRESENCE 1:00 OR 9:00 OCLOCK

MASTER 9:00 TO 11:00 I KOW THAS LOW BUT I LOVE THE DEEPNESS IT HAS AT THAT LOW OF A LEVEL

GAIN 1:00 TO 3:00

BASS 1:00

MID 7:00 TO 9:00

TREBLE 1:00

IF ANYONE CAN GET THAT DEEP SOUND AT A HIGHER VOLUME WOULD YOU PLZ POST THE SETTINGS. I WILL POST MY OTHER CHANNEL LATER CANT REMEMBER IT OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD.

NICE WEBSITE YOU GOT THERE ROODY COULD U POST SOME OF THOSE SETTINGS FOR THE OZZY YOU DO, I AM A MASTER AT OZZY I NAMED MY KID AFTER HIM. I AM LOOKING FOR THE ZAKK WYLDE SOUND AND RHODES VINTAGE SOUND. AND ALSO DO YOU USE ANY EFFECTS TO HELP THE THE LEADS AND IF SO WHAT KIND. I USE A GNX 4 FOR ALL OF MY LEADS RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IT HAS THE RIGHT LEAD SOUNDS BUT I CANT GET THE FAT SOUND THAT I GET FOR RYTHMS ON MY MESA. I WANT TO QUIT USING IT AND JUST GET A DELAY AND CHORUS TO RUN IN FRONT OF THE MESA. HOPEFULLY THAT WILL HELP OUT THE VOICING ON MY LEADS. RIGHT NOW I HAVE MY PEDAL SET JUST LIKE AN ERIC J. SOUND. :twisted:

Thanks for the comments on tne website. I don't remember my settings as I end up tweaking them a bit at each gig but next time I'm at practice I'll try to remember the settings for you. I should also add that I don't necessarily try to get the exact sound for each cover song we do as that would be impossible due to the shear number of different covers we do. I just aim for a good sound and play :)
As fpr effects, I built my own pedalboard and it has a Fulltone OCD for a distortion pedal when I need it, its not on all the time. Also a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah and a BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal. Through the effects loop on the Dual Recto I run a Fulltone ChoralFlange and Guyatone Mini Delay. Before the next gig I'm adding an Electroharmonix Holy Grail reverb. I must also point out that I rarely use more than one or two pedals at a time, it just depends on what song we're doing. Oh yeah, I also forgot the Hush pedal. Gotta have that Hush pedal to quite down some noise when mainly when no one is playing. Everything is powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power and George L's cables between the pedals.
BTW, In addition to the modded Marshalls, EMG's in a Mahogany bodied guitar, and an overdrive pedal, Zakk uses heavier gauge strings so if you're after a tone reminicent of his you may want to try these things.
Hope this helps.

P.S. My bird's name is Ozzy too 8)

*note* this is a band mix...your results may vary depending on 2nd gtr/bass rigs, etc

Ch1 Ch2 Ch3
clean vint modern
Bass 12:30 12:00 12:00
Mid 9:30 10:00 11:00
Treb 12:30 12:15 12:15
Pres 1:30 1:00 10:30
Gain 12:00 3:00 2:00
Master 2:00 1:00 10:30

Bold/Tube-rec (GZ34's)
Output 11:00-12:00 (hey you asked for high vol!)
Solo 8:30-9:00
Loop Active (FTSW)
FX send 1:00 FXmix ~20%
In loop: Chorus > Delay > Reverb
In front: Wah > Gate

2x Recto Std 4x12's V30s
Moderately high output passive pickups

Ok thats all my secrets LOL hope that helps

Back