Help on Lonestar Special 1x12 or 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris F

Reaction score
Hi,

I will lean on the expertise of the users of this forum (as mine are limited). I am considering the Lonestar Special as my next amp. I am torn between 1x12 or 2x12. I am used to mostly 2x12 (Twin Reverb and AC30...both reissues), but at the same time I am not a gigging musician. I play at home.

Soundwise, what will be the difference between these two speaker options? I see a lot of player using 1x12 live with microphones... The style I play is mostly blues / classic rock / rock...basically from Buddy Guy to U2.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, and I look forward to some guidance.

Thanks,
CF

The route I took was to get 1x12 LSS combo and then add a 1x12 cab after the fact. You still push a lot of air and can split them apart as needed.

A number of people have gone the 1x12 + 1x12 ext cab. Personally I went the 2x12 after testing both. Was a bit cheaper than the 1x12/1x12, and I don't have to move it around much (which is obviously a factor in a decision like this). I just preferred the sound of the 2x12 over the 1x12. A little fuller to my ears.

I went through the same process. I have a VibroKing with a 2X12 closed back cabinet extension which may get paired with the LSS just to see how it sounds at some point. That extension allowed me to be a little more conservative on my choice.

I spoke with Marcus Daniel as Mesa about the issue and he basically asked, "How much air do you need to move?" Since mine is for home use, the lesser weight is a fair exchange as I do not need volume. He seemed to feel that the amp's performance goal was arrived at in a 1X12 format, but I doubt there is a huge voicing difference.

I ended up getting a 1X12 in the widebody format as I like the demensions better (same price). I imagine it weighs about 75-80 lbs which is probably about 10# less than 2X12. It is still something of a load, but honestly I really don't have to move it often. If you are going to be lugging the amp around and don't need big volume, the compact 1X12 would likely be a fine choice.

Lastly, I would highly recommend (if you afford it) considering alternative coverings for the amp. The Mesa site has a gallery where you can see how various combinations look. Since the Stilleto and LSC are the same format you can look at them too for ideas, as well as postings on this sire of ways people have personalized their amp. Mine is Cognac Lizard with a tan grill and I love it.

Either way, my suspicion is you will be very happy with whichever one you purchase. They are wonderful amps!

Hi guys,

thank you very much for replies so far, they have been helpful. And I do only play at home, so as one of you mention, "how much air do you really have to push around". Music is just a hobby to me, so unless I overnight becomes the embodiement of the spirits and skills of Hendrix and Vaughan, I don't see myself perform live :)

This is a great forum, and exceptional in the sense that you actually get responses and good tips.

Thanks,
Christian

Latest posts

Back