Help me ID this amp and fix some problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMello

Reaction score
Hey I bought this amp yesterday and I *think* it is a Mark II. There is nothing written on it to identify the model, but on the chassis there is a date 5-14-85 and it is also written DR13 on both sides of the chassis with a marker pen.

The amp has 100w reverb, fx loop, direct out and a bunch of push-pull functions.

here is a picture of it:

markfront.jpg

Now I bought this amp for REAL cheap because it has some issues, it crackles and pops like crazy when I'm playing it or even if I tap my hand on top of the amp with nothing plugged in. The amp is extremely microphonic and all the switches are causing a loud pop through the speaker. It is acting almost like there is a mic plugged into it where every little touch on it is translated to the speaker.
I also makes a loud hum on the lead channel.
There is no loss of volume and even the tone of the amp is intact, except that there is a lot of crackling and popping along with it.

I already replaced all the tubes and it didn't help much so that's already ruled out. I also disconnected the reverb tank and removed the chassis to see if there was anything loose or cracked inside but everything looks normal to me (I'm not a tech though).

I plan to take it to a tech tomorrow but if anybody got any suggestions I'd really appreciate it

That looks like a Mark III Simul Class. Take a look on the pack, next to the power cable, and there should be a colored line from a magic marker just above the cord. If so, what color is it?

I don't see any colored lines.. there is something written right below the power cord with a black marker and it says either "MB" or "MM" or "M3"

here's pictures of the back and the power cord:

markback.jpg

markpower.jpg

by the way, if a mod could move this thread to the "vintage amps" forum, I'd appreciate it. I posted it here by mistake. :oops:

that seems(Im no expert with these)

you have some kinnda modded mesa(ba doom doom tisch)

I would say a MKIIc+

but you dont have an EQ so I dont think it is,the vintage board will help you out alot,

MB is Mike Bendinelli,the man does all the mods to take say a MKIIc to a MKIIC+ status

Get the vintage guys to have alook over it

The date ties in very well to make it a MKII so thats my bets

the only thing thats stopping me sayin that it is definatly a MKIIc+ is that there is no EQ

I would phone mesa with the serial No and have them check their record for any mods or what series this is(MKII MKIII etc)

then if it is a MKIIc+ send it to Mike B. to fix,he is the man,the only guy I would trust with my MKIIc+(I dont actually have one.....boohoo)

think of how many MKII's he has made,modded,teched on

pretty much every one :D

hope it is mate,any chance you could tell me how much you just so it will sicken me to know when you find out its a IIc+,and then you can wipe it in our faces you have a MKIIc+ for x amount :)

mesanomad100 said:
hope it is mate,any chance you could tell me how much you just so it will sicken me to know when you find out its a IIc+,and then you can wipe it in our faces you have a MKIIc+ for x amount :)

man, I got it for 300 bucks at Sam Ash. I almost had a heart attack when the store manager told me that the amp was sitting there for a while and had some issues so he would sell me for $300. AND I had a $200 store credit from a previous purchase I returned so I only had to spend $100 out of my pocket. :shock:

GMello said:
mesanomad100 said:

man, I got it for 300 bucks at Sam Ash. I almost had a heart attack when the store manager told me that the amp was sitting there for a while and had some issues so he would sell me for $300. AND I had a $200 store credit from a previous purchase I returned so I only had to spend $100 out of my pocket. :shock:

thats a killer deal

Oh cool we're getting somewhere :)
ALL the knobs in the front are push-pull. The presence, reverb and direct (in the back) are not.

So can I assume it is a Mark III?

Koprofag said:
$300!!? :shock:

Oh man......

I know!!! Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and ran to the garage to make sure the amp was really there and and it wasn't just a dream
:D

yep, serial is 15113! It does have a small black dot on top of the power cord.
Mark III!! wooohooooo!!!!

Now does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with it? The crackling, popping and microphonic issue? It gets worse at loud volumes, at bedroom volumes the amp is playable but when I turn it up it sounds like bombs exploding.... :(

Whatever is wrong with it, it's still a steal at 300 clams!
Don't worry about the reverb, you can always add that with a pedal or a rack mounted unit. Just don't get one with too many bands.
Have you thought about sending to Boogie?
Years ago, after someone unplugged my speaker, I ahd to send mine to Boogie.
It wasn't expensive, I sent just the chassis, and it came back like a new amp.

Well this just keep getting better. Last night I opened the chassis and cleaned all the pots, jacks and switches and voila!! The cracks and pops disappeared!
All the amp needed was a good cleaning. :D
I think this was the best gear purchase of my life. I was even willing to spend another $300 to fix it, but it works perfectly now. 8)

GMello said:
Hey I bought this amp yesterday and I *think* it is a Mark II. There is nothing written on it to identify the model, but on the chassis there is a date 5-14-85 and it is also written DR13 on both sides of the chassis with a marker pen.

The amp has 100w reverb, fx loop, direct out and a bunch of push-pull functions.

here is a picture of it:

markfront.jpg

Now I bought this amp for REAL cheap because it has some issues, it crackles and pops like crazy when I'm playing it or even if I tap my hand on top of the amp with nothing plugged in. The amp is extremely microphonic and all the switches are causing a loud pop through the speaker. It is acting almost like there is a mic plugged into it where every little touch on it is translated to the speaker.
I also makes a loud hum on the lead channel.
There is no loss of volume and even the tone of the amp is intact, except that there is a lot of crackling and popping along with it.

I already replaced all the tubes and it didn't help much so that's already ruled out. I also disconnected the reverb tank and removed the chassis to see if there was anything loose or cracked inside but everything looks normal to me (I'm not a tech though).

I plan to take it to a tech tomorrow but if anybody got any suggestions I'd really appreciate it

Ha !!!

The missing link. How could Mesa get to 15,000 IIC+'s by 5/14/85 with a DR 13 MK III at 151XX???? The thirteenth week of MK III production could possible be 2/3 or 1985. I'm so happy I could cry. :cry:

I have 1406X from 2/85. This amp is IMO and extremely early MK III Black dot Simul with the gigantic 105 PT and SC-152019B Simul OT.
This is the amp I have been looking for. Mesa could not have made almost a thousand IIC+'s in 2.5 months.

Let me read the post and I'll see what we can do for you.

Ed

GMello said:
yep, serial is 15113! It does have a small black do on top of the power cord.
Mark III!! wooohooooo!!!!

Now does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with it? The crackling, popping and microphonic issue? It gets worse at loud volumes, at bedroom volumes the amp is playable but when I turn it up it sounds like bombs exploding.... :(

Dude, great deal. Listen to Boogiebabies when he get's back with you and get this thing running! Even if yu invest another 500 bucks or so your way, way, way ahead of the game! I think I heard that some of the early Mark III's shared componets from the IIc+ making this a desirable amp with similar tones!

Keep us informed and again, congrats.

O.K.

I would say bad preamp tubes and the input shorting jack is bent so it does not short the input to ground when nothing is plugged in. With the chasis out, push back on the input jack sleeve and while holding it, push the shorting tab towards it until when you release they make contact.
Since it's 22 years old, I would give it a BB spring cleaning. This may prevent any future problems. When I buy an amp, other than making sure it works, I do a complete cleaning on everything. This way, I eliminate 90% of the common problems before I start using it.

Latest posts

Back