Help me decide.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew_1990

Reaction score
Hey guys iv been looking at a mesa roadster for a while now but iv also been looking at the Mark IV. I play stuff kinda like dream theater and metallica just wondering if i could get those tones with the Mark head. Also the roadster retails for $5500 and i could find a Mark head for alot cheaper.

Thanks.

yeah,I would get a MKIIc+,but I lean more towards the Dream Theater side though so naturally I would do,early JP tone is the best I think!!!!

Hey all,
With the mark IV head would i need some sort of EQ through the effects loop for solos to boost the mids? Also would i need a super overdrive for quicker response during solos?

Thanks

nope and nope....most people don't add anything to the mark4. It is the best amp Mesa has ever made, depending on your subjective tone tastes.

You really don't need to do anything to the Mark IV Andrew... it's very mid-centric as it is, plus with the 5 band EQ you can dial in any sound you want. The lead channel needs absolutely nothing but a cord and your guitar to sound fantastic!

Hey again everyone keep in mind this is my first mesa amp im buying. Do you think i should buy the Mark head with a 4 x 12 mesa cab of fee bay?

well, it depends on your needs and wants...

first of all, for the music you mentioned, you will want to get the traditional sized rectifier cabinet (as opposed to the oversized standard cabinet). this is because it produces tighter lows and a nice midrange that suits fast riffs and percussive/smooth solos.

secondly, you have to ask yourself if you really "need" a 4x12. everyone wants one, but what use will you get from it? if it's just to crank up at home, you should consider a 2x12, as this will be much more efficient.

either way, mesa cabs and mesa amps are a match made in heaven. these amps are designed around these cabs and vice-versa, so I suggest you look into mesa first. other good companies that match well with mesa are genzbenz, avatar, and ...?

you can also consider getting a mark4 combo. this will be an all in one package deal, but you sacrifice the nice tones that a good isolated cabinet provides, mainly in the bass department.

If you get the combo used look for one that has an EVM in it. That speaker is really clean and honest. Then get yourself a Thiele cab to go with the combo. That should be all you need. The Thiele loaded with the EVM is incredible. I know I have that rig. Celestions tend to color your sound so I really don't like them too much except with a Marshall. I do plug in my 4x12 greenback loaded cab once in a while but I end up playing the combo and the Thiele mostly. If you must have a head, check out the halfback older Mesa cabs. Those rock for a 2x12. Genz Benz is another recommended cabinet. The ported cabs really help the Mark IV achieve lower lows that you would normally not get. The amp is tight enough that it doesn't affect the tightness that much. If you don't like the open back of the combo you can always run a pair of Thieles or a sealed cab and a Thiele. Oh yeah and the old Mark series halfback 4x12 is phenomenal. Ask rabies and tommyhawk. They both just posted about it.

Thanks for the help guys i think a 4 x 12 would be a bit of a pain in the *** to carry around i might stick with the 2 x 12 and the Mark 4 head. I dont really want combo.

one thing i forgot to add....a 2x12 will have a bit more midrange than a 4x12. this is because a 4x12 has all that space inside to create some nice chunk, whereas in a 2x12 the bass notes have less space to blossom.

i still recommend the 2x12 for the sake of convenience, but i recommend you try both out.

Ah right, but i can still dial in the eq that i want scooped mids. Also what does short head and stuff like that mean? Last thing should i be looking for a specif model? Not a reissue model? Sorry to be a bit of a noob but im new to this.

The size of the head, or being in a combo will have nothing to do with the sound. The short chassis heads are just the same thing that's in a combo, but some people want their heads to match the size of their speaker cabinets, so that's why there is a variety of sizes.
The halfback cabs are phenominal, even with the "dreaded" vintage 50's. I've heard excellent reviews of the halfback 2X12's, and I think some of those were ported as well.
Note, the halfbacks can still be sealed off at the top with a piece of plywood if the back cover is not available.
Is there a local music store that has a Mark IV you can try? If so, see if they will let you crank it up. I'd jot down some settings before you go if I were you, they are a bit intimidating at first to dial in.

Umm i live in sydney so there arnt that many stores around me. But i no what type of sound these amps can produce i really dig them. What about model? What model should i be looking for?

Russ said:
You want the Mark IV... :wink:

No. You want the Mark IV. He doesn't know what he wants. And he's taken worst next step: Asking someone else to decide for him.

CudBucket said:
Russ said:
You want the Mark IV... :wink:

No. You want the Mark IV. He doesn't know what he wants. And he's taken worst next step: Asking someone else to decide for him.

No, I own the Mark IV and it gets the tones he is after. Everyone here knows it gets those tones except maybe you.

Latest posts

Back