Help Me Decide On Mark IV Setup

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshizzle

Reaction score
If you had your choice of either a Mark IV short Head with a 2x12 cab that was loaded with a Celestion V30 and the EV Black Shadow OR a Mark IV short 1x12 combo on top of a 1x12 extension cab with a V30, which would you choose??

And remember the price has no bearing.

Having trouble deciding because a head and 2x12 would be more portable, but the combo and cab would be cool and easier to manage.

Thanks!

Gotta have the Thiele with EV

...NO MATTER WHAT

you won't know what I mean until you've experienced it

I, personally, would always get the head. Not only does it leave you with more options (cabs), down the road, but the electronics will last longer cuz it won't take a beating from the vibrations of the speaker.

Head and 2x12 is my choice.

Actually, a head and two 2x12's would be ideal. This way you can put one 2x12 on your side of the stage, and the other 2x12 on the opposite side of the stage.

Short head + Thiele cabinet.

Your ears and your back will thank you.

My thiele has the C90 so I can't comment on the EV speaker. The only experience I ever had with EVs in a guitar amp is with a silverface Twin. That amp, with a Strat, could best be described as an unpleasant blizzard of nails. Knowing what I know now, I would have modified the amp to fix the problem, but at the time, I said "it needs to go" and it did.

Dave

I'd go with the combo because it really does give you the most options and flexibility. You can always run an external cabinet with the internal speaker or unplug it and run two cabs of your choosing. It's also a more portable option as you can just pick it up and go if you don't need more than the internal speaker. If it was a 2x12 instead of a 1x12 then it would be easier to lug around a head and cab due to weight.

The combo offers more options and will be the same as a head if a cabinet is used. If you blow a speaker at a gig you have one in your combo!

I disagree completely that the combo is either more portable or flexible. It is much easier to carry two 50 pound (approx) loads as its evenly distributed with one in each hand, then heft the combined weight and cumbersome size of a combo.

As far as flexibility, you can hook a head to anything you chose (open, open/closed combo, two thieles, 2X12, 4X12, etc...) , without ever having to lug around the combo in addition to the cabs you might like to try. I mean who wants to carry around a combo with an unplugged speaker?

The only upside is its simple. You don't have to plug in a speaker cab for set up since its self contained. I don't mind running a speaker cable, but to some I am sure that is somewhat of a +.

The head is the most flexible and the most portable by far...

I own a short 1x12 combo and would advise you to get the wide head. The combo is heavy, and frankly it doesn't look very cool to have a little 1x12 combo sitting on a big cab for a show (although it leaves room for a couple beers on the cab, which is nice).

I'd say get the wide version of the head, because its convenient to have as many switches in front as possible. And it is the standard width, which looks better if you ever plan on playing with a 4x12 cab. Not like looks are so important, but the different formats all sound the same, so its not a question of tone.

The one plus about the short combo is that it makes a great practice amp.

Ok, thanks for the input.

It basically comes down to this for me: I'd rather have the head and 2x12 because it just looks a lot better and, for me, it would be more portable. (putting guitar, head, and other stuff on top of the cab and rolling it with the casters on) But I am afraid the 2x12 will be too loud. I mean with one speaker it's manageable, I'm just afraid the increase in airflow with create too much volume when i try to play at home and stuff.

Bshizzle said:
Ok, thanks for the input.

It basically comes down to this for me: I'd rather have the head and 2x12 because it just looks a lot better and, for me, it would be more portable. (putting guitar, head, and other stuff on top of the cab and rolling it with the casters on) But I am afraid the 2x12 will be too loud. I mean with one speaker it's manageable, I'm just afraid the increase in airflow with create too much volume when i try to play at home and stuff.

The 2x12 cabinet I have lets me use both speakers, or the top speaker alone, or the bottom speaker alone. Since I like the sound of both speakers I run it like that all the time, and I never have issues with it being too loud...so long as I use the tweed setting, class A mode etc.

Another great thing about this 2x12 is..the top has a remove-able back - and the bottom is sealed/ported almost just like a thiele cabinet. I prefer leaving the top open backed.

I plan on getting a 1x12 thiele with an EV just so I don't have to carry around my 2x12 when I practice or jam with friends. But the 2x12 will be here till my fingers fall off from playing thru it too much.

meh... the compact combo fits the thiele like a glove. 2x12 vertical combo look. Sounds freakin shweet. This EV loaded thiele is just about as heavy as the combo w/C90. Yes it's loud as all get out and truly sounds best cranked, but I think with any config you will find many usable tones at lower volumes. R2 with BB Pre or slam R3 w/EQ and rip. I've never heard such a massive sound out of any 2x12 config. You will own the mid whichever direction you go. I'm still looking for 2 vertical 2x12's w/old metal grille to drive with this combo. Good Luck!

Tyrant said:
meh... the compact combo fits the thiele like a glove. 2x12 vertical combo look. Sounds freakin shweet. This EV loaded thiele is just about as heavy as the combo w/C90. Yes it's loud as all get out and truly sounds best cranked, but I think with any config you will find many usable tones at lower volumes. R2 with BB Pre or slam R3 w/EQ and rip. I've never heard such a massive sound out of any 2x12 config. You will own the mid whichever direction you go. I'm still looking for 2 vertical 2x12's w/old metal grille to drive with this combo. Good Luck!

If you plan on gigging with it at all I say go short head and rackmount it. When you don't have to worry about torn tolex anymore the world is a much cooler place. I generally use my Mk IV with my Sovereign but I sometimes add the 2x12 if I need it. Two switches and a jewel light aren't worth the lack of flexibility of the medium chassis. I also have no problem with a Mesa short head sitting on a 4x12. When the uninforme hear what comes out of that cute little guy they tend to gape. I'm not trying to look like I have a Marshall sitting up there.

Thanks guys, after what you all have said and thinking about it myself, I think I'm gonna go with the head and a 2x12. I just think that the weight of the combo and 1x12 would be too much and a 2x12 combo with wheels won't be bad at all. As far as sound, it seems either way could yield the same results.

Anyone have any experience with Celestion V30 and the Mark IV? What about a V30 and the EV mixed together?

Latest posts

Back