Help me 'beef' up my Gibson SG Standard! :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
Well, as stated, I have a Gibson SG Standard, it currently has a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge but I've grown tired of it's sound so I'm reverting to the stock pickups until I find the right pickup to put in it.

Basically I'm looking for a high-ish output pickup that will put out a big, fat and heavier sound than my guitar is able to at present. I play mostly play melodic hardcore, post-hardcore and metal/metalcore thru a 2 channel Dual Rec and Marshall 4x12 with V30's. I've not got a great deal of experience with pickups so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Have you tried the new gibson Roast Beef Pickup? It adds lots of beef to your tone.

gibsonpickupbb0.jpg

You may well find that using LOWER output pickups will get you there quicker. I have a couple of wonderful sounding SGs but the one with the best tone and all around punch is the SG I retrofitted with a Burstbucker 2 on the neck and 3 on the bridge. Change the caps to bumble bee's and the pots to CTS. Then replace the stock tuners with Grover Keystones and you'll be in guitar heaven.

I have a Standard SG which I love as well but I have often thought about dropping a Burstbucker #2 & #3 in the guitar as well.... also thought about the 496/500 combo like in Explorers and Vs

Bareknuckles pickups made in the UK. They have some seriously killer humbucker offerings. Expensive in the U.S., especially with the weak dollar, but some of the best pups around. Period.

Hey Zug, yeh I've been looking into these though I'm still to find out which model would be best for metalcore.

I've got a new SG/GT with the 498/496 combo and they sound great. I think the TZ is an artificial sounding pickup. I've heard the Burstbucker III is an interesting pickup.

Botch said:
Hey Zug, yeh I've been looking into these though I'm still to find out which model would be best for metalcore.

Simple! You live in the UK, so pick up the phone and call them. I have heard that they are super good guys and will be extremely helpful in listening to what you're after and getting you the best pups for your needs. You won't find a better set of pups anywhere. No need to look elsewhere. Gibson has some good pups, but Bareknuckles blows them away.

Back