Help identifying GC MK II?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IK

Reaction score
Hello all. Thought i might pique someone's curiosity with this inquiry...
I was at the local (Bay Area) Guitar Center yesterday. They had what was marked as a MK IIB on the floor (1500 bucks). I own a IIC+ (60 watt, reverb, no eq) and wanted to compare the IIB to mine. So, after plugging in the first thing i noticed was this amp seemed far louder with the master barely up to 1. Of course, being in a store may account for this difference. I looked at the back thinking it must be a 100W but there were only 2 6L6s back there. Did Mesa make a 60W IIB? I didn't get the serial number. It def. was not a simulclass amp.
My IIC+ is plenty loud for most occassions but i did start to wonder if its supposed to be even LOUDER than it currently gets (there are new tubes in there). The second difference i noted was that the drive channel produced more of that "metallica" sound or something akin to metal than my amp ever could. It was def. a 'heavier' distoriton. My is more "creamy". Anyone have any ideas what amp this may be describing? Thanks.

Yes, they made a 60W version of the IIB.

I´ve tried a 60W IIB once, years ago. But I couldn´t get close to the Metallica tone on it. Granted it didn´t have the graphic eq so I couldn´t scoop the mids out, but all I got was a good Santana lead sound and a great clean.

I use a 60 watt Graphic EQ/Reverb Mark IIB Head that I converted from a combo. I still have the combo in an anvil.
Compared to my buddies C+ volume is about the same but his lead channel is more articulate. Not that the IIB is a mutt either, the C+ just lays it out a little nicer.
The clean channel on the IIB is fatter/bigger sounding IMHO.
Both are top notch investments in guitar amps. I've often thought about getting a C+.

$1500.00 seems high, I just watched a C+ Head in an Oak Cabinet roll off of Ebay for $1200.00 with no bidders. I contacted the guy but I had no money to play with. **** Taxes!!!!

Hmmmm. Maybe its time i had my MKIIC+ sent back to mesa for a checkup. I bought it used about 5 years ago (700 bux!) but after hearing the volume on that MKIIB yesterday, i'm thinking there may be something I'm missing. I tested the caps a few months back. The originals were still in there. There was some diminishment of their juice but not enough to warrant changing them asap (accd. to my amp tech friend).
BTW--i couldn't really crank the IIB in the store--like i said, it was freaking LOUD. It did not have the EQ either.
I don't know, I'm exclusively using the clean channel on My C+. Perhaps a IIB would do...
But that dirty channel was def. more 'metal' sounding than mine. I don't think that could only be related to tubes if the tones of the MK II amps are pretty similar?

Latest posts

Back