Help - C+ and 4x12 Speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiebabies

Reaction score
Alfred,

I cannot see any harm in trying them. The worst thing that can happen is you will cover the open back or build your own GTS 4X12 to NASA tolerances.

These speakers can be a bit spikey in the treble, so I prefer to use them through the 4 ohm taps.

It sucks in the recto..it sucks in the metal grill. It sucks..there I said it.

On another note,

What is your favourite 412 cab to go with the C+?

Your experience with Sheffield-speakers over V30/90?

My friend and I plugged my C+ into my oversized Mesa 4x12 the other day in his huge backyard. We ran all three volumes (yes, all three!) up to 8, gain on 5. The sound was the most mind blowing tone either of us ever heard. It felt like we were playing Donnington. And all this was only with the gain on 5 and a Strat with an EMG in the bridge. Jambi never sounded so good!
Very tight sound.

You can adjust a C+ or most Mark series amps for that matter, to sound good with just about any speaker configuration. I have tried; EVM, EV FORCE, Rola Celestion G12-65s, and Altec 417-8H speakers in my C+ combo and externally, Thiele 12" and 15" EVM equipped cabs, an early 1970s Marshall cab loaded with vintage green backs, a late 70s Hiwatt cab with Rola Celestion G12-65s, and now I am using 2 modified Marshall 1965B, 4 X 10" cabs (usually one at a time) and sometimes a single 12" detuned cab, also with Rola Celestion G12-65s (yah, I like these speakers). Some sounded better than others but none sounded bad. If I had the time, money and space, I wouldn't mind having most of those combinations again. I am a big proponent of trying different speaker and cabinet combinations and I feel strongly that they open up a whole new world of great sounds.

Now that you mention it, I make little or no change between the FORCE, in combo, 4 X 10" of single detuned 12 cab. Interesting? I know the speakers in the 4 X 10" and the G12-65's are somewhat similar but the FORCE has much different characteristics. V30s are nice too. I thought I was done with my speaker search but heard a friend's Germino LV 55 through a Germino 2 X 12" cab with Scumback 75's and got blown away again. They are brighter than I usually go for but they have a nice sparkle and in that cab they had an almost 3D type of effect. When will it ever end?

I play my combo thru two marshall silver jubilee cabs. One has v30s and the other has g12ts...I'm still not sure I like the tone. I need to try a mesa cab because there cabs are better constructed than the marshalls.

Latest posts

Back