help again please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrt

Reaction score
sorry guys,,

this rect0 is the end of me :evil: :evil:

i came home played it sounded fine, then the same **** thing,, WTF,, now i noticed a clinging or clanging sound when i tap the back off the pre amp(where the vents are at and the wings) its a high pitched rattle sound when i tap it????? any idea,,, all new tubes

Is it coming through the speakers, or is it just the tubes rattling? I think you need to quit hitting the poor thing! :shock: In your previous post, concerning those tube sockets needing re-tensioning, you said "that's what it was"! What did the part of the cabinets have to do with anything? I just want to make sure you know whats going on, and what was done to your amp by the tech! :idea:

the tec said there were 3 sockets needing re-tensioning,, so he did and put in new tubes,,

last i played it was at a show i use a marshall 4x12 1960 cab with the rect , i just wanted to use the the marshall cab at the show for a lower end sound, but some monitors were not working so i used the 1x12 also( for a open sound not just coming strait out of the 4x12),,,, both the cab and the combo were hooked up to the two 4 ohms outs, so my rig was LOUD and a ton of low end, so i thought i rattled loose a tube or some thing? but no,

the speaker makes a bad ripped type sound only SOMETIMES!, and only on deep notes, the pre amp is weird,, I JUST TAP ANYTHING IN THE PRE AMP AND IT MAKE A HIGH CLANG RATTLE SOUND, ANYTHING I TOUCH PRE AMP TUBS, POWER TUBES, THE TOP OF THE AMP,, ANYTHING AROUND THE PRE AMP?? like something is loose????

i called the tec back asap.. and he said he would have to charge me another 50 buck to look at it again,, WTF

:?: :?:

Is the "clang" through your speakers? Does it do it without the guitar plugged in? What about the Reverb? Your not hearing Reverb, are you?

no,, its hard to tell if coming through speaker,, its not really loud,, it sound like there something loose in the pre amp?

the reverb is off

Are you sure your not hearing the tube's filament rattle when your hitting it? That's why I ask if it's coming through the speaker(s)! Turn the power off, then try (dare I say) hitting it. Oh ya, are the covers securely on the pre-amp tube(s)?

no noise when the power is off or on the clean channel, or a light over drive,

no tube cover, dont have them on there, or any of my heads,the mark IV or the jcm 800.

it only happens when the amp is at a good OD volume, like i said i can just tap it with my finger and it make that loose high rattle sound,, \

sorry dude i know i'm driving you nuts

Does this happen when you don't tap it?

In normal conditions, the amp is going to be tapped when you're playing, so it shouldn't really matter :?

I know exactly what your talking about-- I owned a Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb and a Tremoverb head that did the same thing. What your hearing is the "Spring Reverb Tank". This is is a reverb tank inside of the metal box inside of your amp head (above the tubes or on the bottom of the cabinet if its a combo) which is held by springs. What will happen is every time you move the head (or combo) you will hear a cross between a "boing" and "clang" that will resonate for a few seconds untill the springs stop moving from the jolt. This is just the nature of the beast when you have spring reverb. Its audible slightly through the speakers if the amp is on but mainly just from the reverb tank. This makes sense being that you hear it on the heavy overdrive settings because of all off the bottom end to resonate the tank. Hope this helps! :wink:

i dont know, it only does it when the OD is on,, what you are saying i understand but you think i would do it when the amp is off to.

plus the speaker sounds like crap on the deep notes(ONLY SOME TIMES), sometimes it sounds fine, i played it like 6 times since all this crap happen, and it only make that rumble ripped sound in the speaker every once and awhile

i just noticed that high clang sound the other day,,,

something is wrong in the pre amp,

mrt said:
i dont know, it only does it when the OD is on,, what you are saying i understand but you think i would do it when the amp is off to.

plus the speaker sounds like crap on the deep notes(ONLY SOME TIMES), sometimes it sounds fine, i played it like 6 times since all this crap happen, and it only make that rumble ripped sound in the speaker every once and awhile

i just noticed that high clang sound the other day,,,

something is wrong in the pre amp,

Does it get worse as you turn the power amp up? :?:

yeah.. only on the overdrive. the clean channel i had so loud its was stupid,, WHY :?:

i took it back to the gut who worked on it , and he said he had know idea, now this gut has been a tec for 25 years, so i don't know what to do,

i already spent over 300 bucks on the **** thing, maybe i'll hit some more :D :D

I think its the reverb tank still--the bottom end on your heavy channel might be just the resonance the tank needs to make that sound--the fact that it gets worse when you turn it up louder kind of gives that theory a little more ground as well. ??

I think I agree with Micah!

My old Peavey XXX had the same thing going on...when I would move it, or tap it at high volumes, it would make a clang/bong...I was terrified, being new to tube amps, I was really worried that I had damaged it.

Upon looking closer, I noticed the amp had a spring reverb tank......

BINGO!

mrt said:
the tec said there were 3 sockets needing re-tensioning,, so he did and put in new tubes,,

last i played it was at a show i use a marshall 4x12 1960 cab with the rect , i just wanted to use the the marshall cab at the show for a lower end sound, but some monitors were not working so i used the 1x12 also( for a open sound not just coming strait out of the 4x12),,,, both the cab and the combo were hooked up to the two 4 ohms outs, so my rig was LOUD and a ton of low end, so i thought i rattled loose a tube or some thing? but no,

the speaker makes a bad ripped type sound only SOMETIMES!, and only on deep notes, the pre amp is weird,, I JUST TAP ANYTHING IN THE PRE AMP AND IT MAKE A HIGH CLANG RATTLE SOUND, ANYTHING I TOUCH PRE AMP TUBS, POWER TUBES, THE TOP OF THE AMP,, ANYTHING AROUND THE PRE AMP?? like something is loose????

i called the tec back asap.. and he said he would have to charge me another 50 buck to look at it again,, WTF

:?: :?:

Does anyone think that this might be a problem? He's running a Marshall 4x12 (typically rated at 16 ohms, as far as I remember) out of a 4 ohm jack, and some other speaker (ohm rating unknown also out f the 4 ohm jack. This might have done something funny. No?

yeah but the spring reverb tank wouldn't have anything to do with the low buzzed out sound from my speaker, my speaker sometime sounds like its ripped, but its not, the dude look at everything in the pre amp and speaker and found nothing wrong with it,

plus if it was the spring reverb it would do it all the time, not just when it on, it would make that rattle noise when i move it or anytime,

i taking it to another amp tec now and see what he has to say

Latest posts

Back