help a brother out *canadians* *pics*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this a good deal?

• yes, get it while you can

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • average price

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fender_212

Reaction score
Okay I'm looking to get my first tube amp and I'm hoping to make it a Mesa Boogie.

I found a 3 year old single rectifier head used, tubes replaced 7 months ago, some marks, no rips (guy wants 900 CND / 868 USD) and he also has a 3 year old 412 mesa cab.

He will sell the whole thing for $1,500 CND / $1,447 USD

I've asked other people but some say yes some say no.

Is this a pretty good deal, average, or rip off?

thanks in advance!

EDIT and I put rip off as a poll choice but for some reason it didn't make it onto the poll?

It's not a great deal but it's not way out of line... search the craigslists for mtl, van, and TO and you'll see. offer him less, if he tells you to pound sand a similar deal will come along (unless you live in gopherhole, sask. or something)

okay what do you guys think is a good price for this amp? I could send him this thread so he knows im not trying to get it for next to nothing

and for the price of that stack, I could only get a single rec head, but actually I'm not even sure because the store over here seems to have higher prices then in the states cause they are made in the states so thats why you guys think it's a rip off. he said he bought the whole thing brand new 3 years ago for $3,600

and also, around here there aren't many used mesas. this is why I became interested in this one. There is a dual rec halfstack being sold around here but the guy wants $3,000

fender_212 said:
okay what do you guys think is a good price for this amp? I could send him this thread so he knows im not trying to get it for next to nothing

I take it back, bro, you should go for it. I just checked with the local dealer and retail for an SR in Ottawa right now is $1595 for the head, before taxes. So basically you are saving $350 off new (taxes) and getting a free cab.

CoG said:
fender_212 said:

I take it back, bro, you should go for it. I just checked with the local dealer and retail for an SR in Ottawa right now is $1595 for the head, before taxes.

okay thanks a lot!

now I just need to sell my other amps and get the money :roll:

and hey, this is sounding really good! saving about 350 bucks and getting a free cab.im going to go for it if he hasn't gotten fed up with all of my emails asking for pics and about the price

okay, I'm doing what I can to sell my stuff and get the money for the amp. I need to sell my line 6 spider ||| 30 watt peice of **** then this other one my friend should be buying soon. and after that I should have about $1,400 but once I get that much im gunna tell him, I can pay you this much and I'll buy it from you right away since he wants it gone

---------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if the 50watts would be just as loud as the 100watt and 150 watt versions? I know 50watts is plenty enough but would it be easier to hit the "sweet spot" on a 50 watt head? I've been told by other people that you can't tell much difference between the watts

all three heads are going to be louder than you can stand to be in a room with well before their max volume. :) If this is your first "real" amp and you're just rehearsing and playing smaller gigs 50W should more than do ya unless you have the Hulk playing drums.

The difference is in headroom, which mostly translates to how loud you can get before the power tubes start to break up. You'll notice this mostly when playing clean, obviously. I have never owned an SR so I can't tell you where that point is.

CoG said:
all three heads are going to be louder than you can stand to be in a room with well before their max volume. :) If this is your first "real" amp and you're just rehearsing and playing smaller gigs 50W should more than do ya unless you have the Hulk playing drums.

The difference is in headroom, which mostly translates to how loud you can get before the power tubes start to break up. You'll notice this mostly when playing clean, obviously. I have never owned an SR so I can't tell you where that point is.

yes, this is my first tube amp and I have no idea what I'm getting myself into I don't know how loud they are I've played a couple but at low volumes beacuse it was a store!

my drummer does play hard but yeah, not the hulk.

I should be fine. Judging by what other people say 50 watts is nuts and you could gig with 30 or even 15 maybe but don't know about that.

I'm basicly going from a shitty 30 watt solid state amp to a 50 watt mesa boogie halfstack. thats a huge leap

Yeah, my 20/20 does 22 watts per channel. I've never needed to turn it past about noon. By that point there's enough breakup that I can't play clean without rolling my guitar's volume down a good bit and picking pretty soft :)

talk him down.... although it looks like your saving money... a three year old cab can be found used for 550-600 easily .... and i've seen the head used for 850 easy.... so at most 1250 for both.... talk him down to 1350 and he's getting a fair price

mesa stuff is more expensive in Canada and it carries over to used... the craigslist rate for an SR in decent condition is $1100.

I mean, if you think you can talk the guy down to $1250, definitely do :), but I doubt it'll happen.

CoG said:
mesa stuff is more expensive in Canada and it carries over to used... the craigslist rate for an SR in decent condition is $1100.

I mean, if you think you can talk the guy down to $1250, definitely do :), but I doubt it'll happen.

yeah, and I'm not gunna do that because he will probably tell me to screw off. you never know how people will react to low offers.

but this is what im going to do, I am selling my stuff and see what that leaves me at. at the most $1,400 and tell him.. I didn't get as much for the amps as I wanted but sold them anyways, I have this much and I can pick it up whenever you want since you want it gone (depending on what my parents say before i send the email) i told my mom and she said "pfft" exact quote because it's a 2 hour drive there and back but I can convince them. if only I could drive..

and also, I'm waiting on pics. I would hate for it to get here and have it look like it went to hell and back, and if I see pics I will be able to tell exactly the shape it's in

I highly suggest talking him down. I live in Winnipeg and found someone selling their triple rectifier and recto cab (both in top notch condition) for $2500. I was looking to spend $2300 but I laid out $2200 in hundreds and he took it. My suggestion would be to offer $1300. He wants to sell the amp. He isn't going to tell you to screw off.

gothenburg said:
I highly suggest talking him down. I live in Winnipeg and found someone selling their triple rectifier and recto cab (both in top notch condition) for $2500. I was looking to spend $2300 but I laid out $2200 in hundreds and he took it. My suggestion would be to offer $1300. He wants to sell the amp. He isn't going to tell you to screw off.

okay and is that a good deal? because honestly I wouldn't buy this amp if it wasn't a good deal or average price. but I think it's a pretty good deal cause just the head new costs over 1500.

If I can get it for 1300 Im almost there just hopefully my friend has the money for my amp soon. and hopefully soon I will have a boogie in my room!

but yeah what should I tell him in the email? "right now I have 1300 and if you want the amp gone quick I can come pick it up any time you want, but if not it will be a while." or something like that? I just don't want it to sound like im poor and like im a little kid I want him to realize he could have it gone like he wants and he will take the offer. and im not poor and well.. if you think 15 is little

If you have 1300, go ahead and offer it to him. If he says no, ask him how much more you have to come up with to get rid of it and if it's reasonable, hustle up the cash. Make sure he knows you are serious and have the cash in hand. Any pics yet? Make sure you see them first. You may be supprised if you just offer him what you have.

southernman said:
If you have 1300, go ahead and offer it to him. If he says no, ask him how much more you have to come up with to get rid of it and if it's reasonable, hustle up the cash. Make sure he knows you are serious and have the cash in hand. Any pics yet? Make sure you see them first. You may be supprised if you just offer him what you have.

thanks for the help! I'll do that

and I have asked for pics and he said he would get some. but haven't got any yet. and I asked again and he didn't say anything about pics. I;m going to email him again asking if he can get some pics.

I really only have 900 bucks right now and thats what he wants for the head and hes firm on that. but once I sell my amps I will have at the MOST $1,300 and if he won't take it I will just borrow money from my parents and pay them back.

again thanks for the help!

and I'm also going to wait for pics before I offer anything else. I told him at the most I would give him 1500, but I haven't seen pics yet, so I'll offer 1300 when I see pics

Yeah, definitely wait for pics.

As a side note, I went from a 15 Watt, Line 6 Spider II to a 100 Watt Roadster...Life will never be the same, :twisted:

CoG said:

Even with the hulk on drums 50 watts is penty for rehersal and REALLY BIG shows.

Latest posts

Back