Head or Combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcelroy

Reaction score
I am thinking about selling my Soldano SLO and purchasing the Mark V but cannot decide between the combo or head. I like the combo because of the compact portability. On the other side of the coin a head is a bit more flexable because I can mix and match different cabs but the downside of this is all of my cabs are 16 ohms as opposed to 8 ohms, which is recommended for the Mark V.

What would the sound/tone difference be between the head and combo?

Well, you will get many stories and arguments;

1- 69 lbs for the combo vs 45 lbs for the head.
2- I finally changed speakers in my cabs to reduce the high end and beefup the lows.

I started with a combo and traded it for a head 1 week later because of weight. I am now perfectly happy now head+cab+EL34

PS: Running 16Ohms cabs with the Mark V is a safe mismatch.

I've had my combo a couple of weeks now. I have been playing through 4x12 cab before. Nothing like the feeling of drop tuning at high volumes anyway. I needed a small amp to play out with been using my old pod 2.0 ugh! Finally had enough and purchased combo. Sound guy hates amps on stage hehehe. I liked the 10watt feature. After 2 weeks I am just blown away at the tone and quality of combo at higher volumes I do get a little speaker farting slight, I dial down settings but it starts to thin out. I have not ran my cab with combo yet it is 16ohm I do like the 45w hard direct so far. As of now channel 1 is my fav FAT middle to bridge pick up very cool tone..... Channel 3 I also am struggling with to get a good tone seems very tiny I know its there just have to dial it in. I am running no effects at the moment till I learn my new toy. Good Luck

I love my Mark V, but I wish I had not sold my Soldano. I am sure it depends upon what kind of player you are, and what kind of tones you prefer, but I guarantee you will regret parting with the Soldano.

Young Rockstar=Head/4x12
Old Jazzy Guy=Combo
:lol:
Personal preference. You can always run an extension cab with a combo too.

ryjan said:
Young Rockstar=Head/4x12
Old Jazzy Guy=Combo
:lol:
Personal preference. You can always run an extension cab with a combo too.

Old Rockstar=Head/1x12 ;)

Personally, I prefer the combo for convenience. Yes, it is heavy, but it is very compact. I find it very managable to move around compared to other tube combo amps because it is quite small for the balls that it has.....and it sounds fantastic to me stock! Well, almost stock....I did convert to the Mesa EL34 tubes, but also liked the stock 6L6s as well....just not quite as much.

I had been struggling with this too. I have the combo and it is convenient to take to my brothers house or whatever to jam. I only have to take 1 thing and it sounds great. Then, when I play with my band or gig I have the 1x12 widebody closed back to beef up the sound. I have been happy for a year now with this setup and my thoughts of converting to a head are steadily diminishing.

Until I get roadies...then it will be 2 heads and 2 4x12's.

i have a combo and a head and love em' both.
if your a bedroom player,then get the combo. if your more than a bedroom player, go with the head.http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz289/mesamark5/127.jpg?t=1287723066

I have the combo. Guess it has to do with my history, always regarding the Mark series as "the ultimate combo amps".

The way I see it (combo vs cab):
- The combo is more compact, esp. for playing at home. It has all you need in one package.
- Yes, you can use the combo as a head too, i.e., plug it into any cab you want (just like the separate head) rather than use the internal speaker. Or you can use an external speaker in addition to the internal speaker. The combo just gives you the extra option of not using an external cab.
- Yes, the combo is somewhat harder to lug around than the head. While it is heavy, the wheels help a lot (and you don't need to have an external cab). The only places I'm having trouble with is with stairs when there's no elevator. :D But that would be a problem for my cabs too.

As a rule of thumb, I'd say that if you are planning to always play with an external cab, the head is the better choice for you. Definitely. OTOH, if you appreciate the versatility of the combo (like me), you could consider that option too.

If I were buying a new one now, I just might go for the head & cab combination.

...and oh yeah, DON'T sell the Soldano unless you absolutely have to! You'll regret it if you do!

I always struggle with this too. From a price point of view $2,099 (combo) vs $1,999 (head) for an extra $100 you are getting a cab attached to your head. Any standalone cab is going to be much more than $100. Since you can always drive an external cab with the combo; doesn't it just come down to weight and aesthetics (ok maybe shipping for repairs or selling later as well)? Get the combo and a closed back 2x12. Then you have a nice option for cleans (open 1x12) and the 2x12/4x12 for heavy stuff.

Heads give you a lot more flexability. Different speaker and cab designs can completely change your tone.

...and Mark combos are two f***ing heavy.

Everyone's needs are so different.

I prefer combos, however I keep my gear in a basement studio and rehearse with my band in another basement studio. That's about 60 stairs total per trip. In this case casters would possibly even be a hindrance. Combine that with a bad back and anything heavier than my Express 5:50 1x12 combo (a little over 50 pounds) is a problem.

If I were to buy a Mark V it would be a head and I'd experiment with open back and ported cabs.

The other case where I'd recommend a head is for someone who has no interest whatsoever in an open back cabinet.

I have noticed that a couple of people have said "don't sell the Soldano, you'll regret it". I'm sure I will probably regret selling the Soldano however I'm not able to really push it to get the best out of it or hit it's sweet spot. Unfortunately, most of the bars or places to play in my area aren't large enough to warrant an amp as powerful as the Soldano and when I have used it my volume has never been able to get above 2 without pissing the band or soundman off. This is also the reason I am contempating a combo over a head is it's portability and less stage space since most places around here either have a small stage or no stage at all. I like the MKV because of the tone flexability and it's features, especially the 10, 45 and 90 watt selector swith plus independant solo boost option. The only thing I have started to find/read is that the MKV's effect loop is designed for Line Level effects and that delay pedals such as the Boss DD3 don't seem to work too well, which is the same with the Soldano.

GD_NC said:
Heads give you a lot more flexability. Different speaker and cab designs can completely change your tone.

The combo would give you the same exact flexibility. You are free to use any cab with the combo that you can use with the head. You don't have to engage the internal speaker at all - it's just an extra that the head doesn't have. So, technically speaking, the combo is even more flexible.

That, and it's also a good deal heavier and harder to lift, as you said. So for someone who gigs a lot and always uses an external cab anyway, the head is obviously the better choice.

gmcelroy said:
I have noticed that a couple of people have said "don't sell the Soldano, you'll regret it". I'm sure I will probably regret selling the Soldano however I'm not able to really push it to get the best out of it or hit it's sweet spot. Unfortunately, most of the bars or places to play in my area aren't large enough to warrant an amp as powerful as the Soldano and when I have used it my volume has never been able to get above 2 without pissing the band or soundman off.

Peace, man. I wasn't trying to intimidate you. :D

Just worth pointing out that the Soldano and the Mark V will sound nothing alike. At some point, you might miss your Soldano. Or maybe you get that bigtime gig where you could really blast off with your Soldano.

If I were you, I would keep the Soldano even if that meant stuffing it in the attic for years - unless I absolutely needed that money for the replacement amp.

gmcelroy said:
The only thing I have started to find/read is that the MKV's effect loop is designed for Line Level effects and that delay pedals such as the Boss DD3 don't seem to work too well, which is the same with the Soldano.

I'm currently using a newer (and worse!) Boss Delay pedal in the loop without any problems whatsoever. It seems to me that some people experience those problems, some don't. Hard to predict whether you will. It is a possibility, though.

LesPaul70 said:
gmcelroy said:
I have noticed that a couple of people have said "don't sell the Soldano, you'll regret it". I'm sure I will probably regret selling the Soldano however I'm not able to really push it to get the best out of it or hit it's sweet spot. Unfortunately, most of the bars or places to play in my area aren't large enough to warrant an amp as powerful as the Soldano and when I have used it my volume has never been able to get above 2 without pissing the band or soundman off.

Peace, man. I wasn't trying to intimidate you. :D

Just worth pointing out that the Soldano and the Mark V will sound nothing alike. At some point, you might miss your Soldano. Or maybe you get that bigtime gig where you could really blast off with your Soldano.

If I were you, I would keep the Soldano even if that meant stuffing it in the attic for years - unless I absolutely needed that money for the replacement amp.

gmcelroy said:
The only thing I have started to find/read is that the MKV's effect loop is designed for Line Level effects and that delay pedals such as the Boss DD3 don't seem to work too well, which is the same with the Soldano.

I'm currently using a newer (and worse!) Boss Delay pedal in the loop without any problems whatsoever. It seems to me that some people experience those problems, some don't. Hard to predict whether you will. It is a possibility, though.

Dude...it's all good...no intimidation... I appreciate everyone's input!

Latest posts

Back