Have a 3 channel recto...get a multi watt or ED head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpurdue

Reaction score
I have a 2009 3 channel recto that i'm digging so far. I need a backup head. I was thinking a new multi watt recto but there's a lot of used ElectraDynes out there for a steal as well. I A/B'd a new multi watt recto with my 2009 and honestly i wasn't impressed. Although it was brighter (which i like) it was substantially thinner as well. I found by upping the presence on my 2009 i could make them sound very similar yet mine was still thicker sounding. Now this may also be due to the fact the multi watt was a rental at the local L&M and the tubes looked mismatched and i'm sure very old. I'm not a metal guy so the bulk of my playing is in the RAW mode on channel 2 and VINTAGE on channel 3. What are you folks opinions on the multi watt? Is it different enough from my 2009 to justify grabbing one or maybe grab a used ED?

The main benefits (IMO) to the multi-watt is the improved clean channel, the improved raw channel and the ability to run one channel on the tube rectifier while another is on the diode rectifier. If these aren't that important to you then its not worth the cost (again, IMO).

Personally, I find the ED is a nice compliment to a Recto. Maybe it's the way I dial them in, but I find I get a similar sort of sound/feel from these two amps, the primary difference being that the Recto isn't particularily good at low-to-mid gain while the ED isn't capable of Recto style high gain. The ED's power section will also start to overdrive fairly easily, giving some tonalities that the Recto doesn't really provide. They fill in each other's weak spots, which opens up new options for you as a guitarist.

If you get a lot of use out of the Recto's raw mode then I think you'll find the ED to be pretty cool.

screamingdaisy said:
The main benefits (IMO) to the multi-watt is the improved clean channel, the improved raw channel and the ability to run one channel on the tube rectifier while another is on the diode rectifier. If these aren't that important to you then its not worth the cost (again, IMO).

Personally, I find the ED is a nice compliment to a Recto. Maybe it's the way I dial them in, but I find I get a similar sort of sound/feel from these two amps, the primary difference being that the Recto isn't particularily good at low-to-mid gain while the ED isn't capable of Recto style high gain. The ED's power section will also start to overdrive fairly easily, giving some tonalities that the Recto doesn't really provide. They fill in each other's weak spots, which opens up new options for you as a guitarist.

If you get a lot of use out of the Recto's raw mode then I think you'll find the ED to be pretty cool.

Thanks for the info screamingdaisy! Being that i really only use the RAW mode is my findings correct that the RAW on the older 3 channel can match the reborn by just upping the treble and presence a little? Again, i'm not sure if the reborn i used was the best example due to it having all non matching tubes.

I use the raw on channel 2 and vintage on channel 3 as well on my 2001 dual rec. I've been meaning to try out the multi-watt. When I do i'll report my findings since it seems we seek similar tones.

deeman said:
I use the raw on channel 2 and vintage on channel 3 as well on my 2001 dual rec. I've been meaning to try out the multi-watt. When I do i'll report my findings since it seems we seek similar tones.
Awesome! Thanks for that! Raw seems to me the most like my JCM800

rpurdue said:
Thanks for the info screamingdaisy! Being that i really only use the RAW mode is my findings correct that the RAW on the older 3 channel can match the reborn by just upping the treble and presence a little? Again, i'm not sure if the reborn i used was the best example due to it having all non matching tubes.

I've never actually compared them so I can't give an opinion.

Agreed with screamingdaisy on this one. If you dig the raw mode and aren't looking for the typical recto high gain you will probably really dig the ED especially if its to compliment a recto. I recently sold my roadster pretty much because my playing style was getting further and further from the recto sound. I found myself using raw, tweed and fat far more often than modern or vintage. Honestly if I could have kept the roadster and got the ED I would have just for the extreme versatility of the roadster but the ED has exactly what I was looking for out of raw and tweed but with greater pick sensitivity and that special something I can't put my finger on.

jdurso said:
Agreed with screamingdaisy on this one. If you dig the raw mode and aren't looking for the typical recto high gain you will probably really dig the ED especially if its to compliment a recto. I recently sold my roadster pretty much because my playing style was getting further and further from the recto sound. I found myself using raw, tweed and fat far more often than modern or vintage. Honestly if I could have kept the roadster and got the ED I would have just for the extreme versatility of the roadster but the ED has exactly what I was looking for out of raw and tweed but with greater pick sensitivity and that special something I can't put my finger on.
Great info jdurso.....thanks. Yeah, i'm more of a crunch tone kinda guy. i like dimed plexi's, JCM 800's etc. I find vintage pretty compressed on a recto and modern too scooped. RAW is perfect. It's pretty dark but i run the treble at 3:00 so that livens it up. I was debating grabbing a recto reborn just due to the improved crunch channel but the used ED's are a STEAL these days. I see them frequently in the $800-900 range. The Recto reborn i tried definitely was brighter but it was also substantially thinner on all channels which i didn't like.

The one thing the ED is not is thin. The tone is very hardy with great feel and does the less compressed mid and high gain with ease. I could get those tones out of my roadster but it took a lot of tweaking whereas the ED gets there without doing much of anything. I highly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back