Has anyone ran Kt-88's in their Mark amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone has run a pair of KT-88's with EL34's or 6L6's in a Mark series amp. Will KT-88's even fit in a mark amp?

I am thinking about getting a quad for my 2:90 when it arrives since the 2:90 and mark series power sections are very similar I figured I'd get more of a response here than with the rack guys.

The first question would be could the PT handle the extra 2.8 amps or so that a quad of KT-88's will draw over a quad of 6L6's? The second question is would it have the same reliability?

Greg

Check the physical dimensions of your KT-88's because I am not sure they will even fit on my short chassis. I think it would be absolutely crazy to run them though. Talk about tight and heavy. It would be like swinging a 2x4 at someone's chest or your back when you are playing your amp. I think it would make the amp have a little more bottom from having more headroom if that makes any sense. I would try it if they fit. You might need a specially selected set, a mod, or both to run them though. I saw a Dual Rec that was running 88's on e-bay not too long ago and he had to have a mod to run 6550s/KT-88s. I am assuming the Mark would also need a mod if the tubes would even fit.

It depends on how much current they draw but the plate voltage is right around 460 or so in the Mark IV and 290 which should be fine. I am only talking for the middle pair not the outer pair but I would probably want to run EL34's in the outer sockets to compensate for the extensive lows of the 88's.

If JJ Kt-66s are 2 1/8" in diameter i wonder if they would fit too. When I get my 2:90 I will do some measurements to see how much real estate is in there. Looking at a pic of the 290 with the roof off the only problem I see is maybe the top and bottom covers but the two middle tubes should fit fine otherwise.

I don't think much modding is necessary if you get a cool set. Maybe a bias trim pot for good measure but it might not be needed if they run cool enough.

I bet it would be sweet though especially with a my 212 with EV 12L.

What got me thinking about this is the VHT 2902 which runs 4 KT-88s. It would be cool to try so if i get a few extra bucks I might go for it.

Greg

interesting would love to know more about findings doing this... 8)

Back