Has anyone ordered a Mark V yet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want one. So I put down 50%. Why wait?

I haven't played any of the instruments I've bought in the last 10 years or so ahead of time, guitars & amps included. It's always fun to be pleasantly surprised! 3 of the last guitars I bought, I had made for me, so I couldn't try them out anyway. Same goes for all of the Mesa amps I have. Always pleasantly surprised. Oh, and they were all keepers.

MeZa 8)

Yeah I ordered mine today from Guitar Center in Towson, MD. According to the salesmen Mesa is only making Mark V's through orders, which means you really can't try them out before you buy them. I guess with the economy and all they can't afford to make a bunch of amps that just sit in the shops. Anyway my final price (had to pay in full) was $2,118.

rabies said:
WretchedESP86 said:
Yeah I ordered mine today from Guitar Center in Towson, MD. According to the salesmen Mesa is only making Mark V's through orders, which means you really can't try them out before you buy them. I guess with the economy and all they can't afford to make a bunch of amps that just sit in the shops. Anyway my final price (had to pay in full) was $2,118.

i wonder if mesa hollywood will have some to try out or not...

Someone was saying that they have one on the floor now to try out at hollywood mesa. As for the made to order only.... humm Ill bet you $2,118 that the salesman is pulling your leg or some other part of your anatomy..

Boof

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=31629 <-- was the post that someone said thaty mesa hollywood had one on the floor.

I'm in MD too, and GC was less than helpful. I tried the one in Rockville, though. I waited over a week, they were supposed to call me back saying they couldn't order, they couldn't get info, etc.

I finally gave up on them and ordered through a shop in Frederick that was a lot more helpful, only had to put 25% down.

This is one, if in fact I do end up wanting one, that I will wait on. Recently they have been working bugs out of recent amps with major mods like they did on the Roadking and the Lonestar.

I'm sure the Mark 5 will be no different.

It's not that they make them poorly its just that amps today are getting so complex things are sure to need tweaking after the brand new product gets out there.

This amp will surely be a winner though.

brianf

brianf said:
This is one, if in fact I do end up wanting one, that I will wait on. Recently they have been working bugs out of recent amps with major mods like they did on the Roadking and the Lonestar.

I'm sure the Mark 5 will be no different.

It's not that they make them poorly its just that amps today are getting so complex things are sure to need tweaking after the brand new product gets out there.

This amp will surely be a winner though.

brianf

Yes, the Roadking and Stiletto both had "II" versions come out. So I understand the wait, I would too.

But I am not aware of any "major mods" to the Lonestar. What are you referring to there? Yes, many years after introduction they added the 10W class A mode to the LSC. But to me that's a lot different than the version "II" mods that happened very quickly after introduction of the Roadking and Stiletto. In those cases it was almost like Mesa saying, "we kinda got it wrong so we're going to fix it." The LSC and LSS have been bullet proof (save the LSS tube recitifier sensitivity) and unchanged since production started to my knowledge. (Except of course last years addition of the 10W mode.)

Im pretty sure big volume stores will stock a M5. It makes sense if they think it will move. Smaller or less selling stores will probably take order only, but I think the GC by me do well enough. I usually see a RK / Roadster and a variety of recs there. I realize the recs sell and are what kiddies want still, but that could change, probably will as music styles start to differ. Plus the Roadster is 2k and im pretty sure has been there well over a year. So i think many of us will see one in the store... the problem is they will probably be bought quickly, especially the close to the release since its the new hot item.

oh and the first few people that ordered one better have a mic / good mixing setup to record how it sounds... :)

I ordered mine today (labored a bit between the combo or head, went with the head). They were surprised to learn that Mesa is now available to be purchased online form some retailers....and I insisted they match the value of no tax (when ordered online) -- so they threw in a BOSS DD-7 I needed for my grabNgo board :mrgreen:

Shai`tan said:
LOL I rmember everyone holding so tight onto their Mrk IVs cause OMG.... they were being discontinued. Etc etc etc. Now the Mrk Vs are coming, and I bet we see a literal glut of used Mrk IVs back into the Market. hehhhehhehe

With all due respect, I have just the opposite point of view. A very successful amp that has been produced for 17 years (around 13,000 amps) won't be dumped into the market just because there is a Mark V coming out.

If you had realized how similar to the Triaxis the Mark V preamp is, you would see that out of the 9 modes the Mark V sports, only 2 (and maybe 3) are based on the Mark IV.

However, if you are right, then following your rationale we will also see lots of vintage Mark I's and lots of Lonestars Classic and lots of Mark IIC+ being dumped in the market.
Time will tell.
Regards

igfraso said:
Shai`tan said:
LOL I rmember everyone holding so tight onto their Mrk IVs cause OMG.... they were being discontinued. Etc etc etc. Now the Mrk Vs are coming, and I bet we see a literal glut of used Mrk IVs back into the Market. hehhhehhehe

With all due respect, I have just the opposite point of view. A very successful amp that has been produced for 17 years (around 13,000 amps) won't be dumped into the market just because there is a Mark V coming out.

If you had realized how similar to the Triaxis the Mark V preamp is, you would see that out of the 9 modes the Mark V sports, only 2 (and maybe 3) are based on the Mark IV.

However, if you are right, then following your rationale we will also see lots of vintage Mark I's and lots of Lonestars Classic and lots of Mark IIC+ being dumped in the market.
Time will tell.
Regards

I don't think that follows the same rational as a mark IIC+ at all as isn't even a fair comparison. you are talking about a vintage amp that has limited numbers when they were produced and and become harder and harder to find with every passing year. In addition to that you have a bit of "the legend" that goes with these amps that perpetuates their value real or perceived.

I have a feeling that the numbers of Mark IVs that were made are somewhat more abundant that say mark IIC+s ever were and even though they have stopped making the IV you can still find them being sold in shops new. (a quick look today brings up 10 IVs 5 sold 5 still for sale some new some used some short heads some combos. )

Wont know until the Vs hit the street and if people find them to be a big improvement over the IVs maybe you will see more used IVs circulate for peole to pay for a V and some people will hold onto their IVs in hopes that in 5, 10, 15 years they gain the same reputation as a IIc+

People will hold on to their IIc+ because of their vintage state, history, and collectible more than anything else the IV is just to newly decommissioned to hold that place yet.

Of course, this is a matter of opinion and speculation.

What I don't understand is why the Mark IV has been singled out in previous threads.
I agree what you say about the IIC+ and I understand the same thing is valid about the vintage Mark I's.

I also understand that the Lonestar Classic is not included in that "dumping list" because it is such a special amp and the same thing we could say about the Mark III blue stripe and... the red stripe and...

So in the end, it seems to make sense to single out the Mark IV. Now, which version? The A, the early B or the B? Or all of them? :)

Regards

igfraso said:
Of course, this is a matter of opinion and speculation.

What I don't understand is why the Mark IV has been singled out in previous threads.
I agree what you say about the IIC+ and I understand the same thing is valid about the vintage Mark I's.

I also understand that the Lonestar Classic is not included in that "dumping list" because it is such a special amp and the same thing we could say about the Mark III blue stripe and... the red stripe and...

So in the end, it seems to make sense to single out the Mark IV. Now, which version? The A, the early B or the B? Or all of them? :)

Regards

yar. I would guess 10 years down the road similar posts on boards will be arguing the intricate differences between a IVa and a IVb and one will most likely sell for twice as much as the other.

Hahaha!! Yes, you are right.
Without trying to jump the gun, I am told that the early B's are the way to go. Seriously.
Best regards
Daniel

normandk7 said:
Hey...i think i have an early B...
What is so special with them????

well it turns out that the early B series have a habit of catching fire and blowing up even when powered down..... no just kidding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_Boogie_Mark_Series#Mark_IV (wiki so could be BS and might be worth reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mesa_Boogie as well. )
"Notable differences: Version A - No footswitch for reverb. Both normal and switchable effects loops. No satellite send for separate power amp. No stereo effects loop. Lead channel modeled more after the Mark IIC+ Version B - Switchable reverb, single switchable stereo effects loop, Satellite send to drive another power amp. Voicings altered slightly for a more modern tone. A tad more gain on Rhy 2 on tap."

Ouff...no problem with the fire...but only on stage!!!!

For the a and the b stuff, i know the difference between the 2 but i was not aware if early b's was different for B

Thanks boof

There are 2 types of Mark IV B's.
The early ones have the power cable attached, the later ones have a detachable cable.

I am told there are some circuit differences between the early "B" (some people call them no A/no B) and the "normal" B's, that make the early B (or, no A/no B) sound better.
Same thing with the LoneStar Classic version 1 and 2.
regards

And coming back to the original thread... I have already ordered a Mark V with a widebody Thiele directly from Mesa.

Latest posts

Back