hanging your guitar on the wall

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allcountyfair

Reaction score
are there any risks of hanging your guitar on the wall other then it falling? i want to hang my Les Paul Jr. on my wall but i dont want to have any loss of tone or anything like that. would that be an issue?

I can't see how using a wall hook would affect anything about your guitar at all, unless things hit it more. I love having mine on the wall, it looks cool and I don;t have to deal with a guitar stand being in the way.

i once wrote to a luthier about this, and he replied that doing so for a long time could end up generating some problems with the neck...

ytse_jam said:
i once wrote to a luthier about this, and he replied that doing so for a long time could end up generating some problems with the neck...

I agree.

I prefer the stand.

DSC01525.jpg

String Swing wall hanger... $30 from Musician's Friend.

If you hang it and leave it for a long period of time exposed to drastic temperature and humidity changes, then yes, you could experience some warping of the neck.

My guitars spend more time in my hands than on my wall hangers, but I've never had any problems from hanging them.

I have a 2-year old daughter, so guitars on guitar stands = guitars face down on the floor :lol:

been hanging mine for years !! No issues what so ever

http://www.dropzone-v1.co.uk/Guitars.htm

they all work fine, but I guess if they stayed up they would suffer play 'em like you should!!

The only thing I can see really going wrong with your Gibson in a wall hanger other than maybe some neck warping over a long period is that Gibson nitrocellulose finishes tend to take on color and get stained by whatever they are in contact with over time. In addition to this, you might experience wear from hanging it in the hanger. The case is really the best place to keep your guitar when not in use. Another minor thing that can happen while in a wall hanger is that you will accumulate dust in your bridge and every other imaginable place. From having my acoustic in a stand I know this well. I play it too so it just doesn't sit there. It ends up having dust not only on the headstock and tuners but on top of the frets, nut, and bridge as well as at the neckjoint. I don't even keep my window open. It just accumulates there for some reason.

ytse_jam said:

How many years was this guitar maker thinking the guitar would be up on the wall? 60? Hanging the instrument from the headstock is nothing new. If it were a problem think of every guitar... that has ever been sold... out of every guitar shop... in the world.

my friend did that with his les paul studio and eventually he ended up with an impression from the wall hook in the finish of the neck/headstock junction. it probably makes a difference how heavy your guitar is too.

Latest posts

Back