Guitarist whose playing I'm most jealous / envious of...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDnE4SIrszk&feature=related

My opinion of coarse, even if you don't think he's the "best", don't matter, sick video non-the-less.\

SDMF

zakk is an awesome guitarist,
but what do you mean by our times?

Zakk, is a late 80's guitarist... and thats when most every guitarist we know by name came out.

Assuming EVH can't be in the our times, is Yngwie to old... Personally I'd put Paul Gilbert above Zakk.

I can't really think of guitarists in the 90's 00's that are stand out. I guess Wes Borland was during Nu-Metal / Rap Rock.

Who are modern guitarists that strike your fancy? (LOG guys are good) any suggestions for newer guitarist

me... when I'm dreaming. seriously, you would freak if you could hear what I can play when I'm dreaming. totally different story when I'm awake tho... :(

dmcguitar said:
zakk is an awesome guitarist,
but what do you mean by our times?

Zakk, is a late 80's guitarist... and thats when most every guitarist we know by name came out.

Assuming EVH can't be in the our times, is Yngwie to old... Personally I'd put Paul Gilbert above Zakk.

I can't really think of guitarists in the 90's 00's that are stand out. I guess Wes Borland was during Nu-Metal / Rap Rock.

Who are modern guitarists that strike your fancy? (LOG guys are good) any suggestions for newer guitarist

Very good point, my original post is poorly worded, I was thinking about that.

I dunno, I was kinda thinking, I was born in the early 80's so I was trying to think of guitarists who came out when I was getting into music, so I guess from late 80's and the 90's...

Too many to choose from really...Dime owns the 90's but he's past on RIP DIME, but I guess from guys who are still playing and producing new material, again I dunno....

Zakk's f'n insane tho!

hey the way i see it if you came out in the 80's and are still playing today you aren't just an 80's guitarist you are a present day guitarist. creating and writing new music and not playing the same stuff you wrote or came up with 25 yrs ago is always going to be more ear pleasing however and will keep my interest in any particular musician especially if they are gifted. Zakk is one hell of a musician and i love to hear him play and I was pissed off when i had to leave from my vacation (checking out music scene trip in Austin Tx) last april knowing he was going to be playing there

A subjective comment non the less. saying someone is the best is very bold statement to make and i have tried to get away from that train of thought.

APPLES and ORANGES my friend.
for me i think what makes me gravitate towards any particular player is that of the emotional impact their playing has on myself. The technical aspect of playing i think is what allows those who already have musical talents to express themselves that much more. whether that emotion is happy, sad, fellings of empowerment, pump me up intensity emotion, or all over the place its all good. I personally enjoy listening to those guitarists who can MIX up emotional impacts i recieve as a listener.

That being said Satriani, Timmons, and Vai are some of my top favorite/inspirational guitarists to listen to (guys that i have all seen live and or at guitar clinics). they are all guys who are very good musically as well as technically and are all guys who express themselves so well through their instruments that its almost too emotionally intese sometimes.

surferdeac I agree, it's funny, I didn't mean it to be taken so literally, it all falls under the subject of art, it ain't math, where one's opinion can be proven. Funny cause basically the word "best" or even the word "perfect" can't (or should I say "shouldn't) ever be used when discussing things of art, like music...

But a good point you mentioned:

"for me i think what makes me gravitate towards any particular player is that of the emotional impact their playing has on myself"

This brings up a good topic for discussion, why are your favorite guitarists, your favorite, is it their skill, technical ability, their being pioneer's or emotional playing or etc etc etc...

Good topic.

I knew when I posted this it'd be a like opening can of worms - lol.

Good video either way- SDMF

Funny again cause I also have the same rule about saying the best, even among my top 5-10 guitarists (I can't even pick a single favorite) they all sit evenly unseeded...

Poor wording on my part I know lol

Yes ZW is extremely good..... 8)
Having said that, the man that still impresses me the most, overall, for compositions as well as technique, is JS (Joe Satriani). :D

To me, his skill set is "the complete package".
But to each his own.....
Take care :)

Old BF Shred said:
Yes ZW is extremely good..... 8)
Having said that, the man that still impresses me the most, overall, for compositions as well as technique, is JS (Joe Satriani). :D

To me, his skill set is "the complete package".
But to each his own.....
Take care :)
+1 Satch is the shitch!

ok, we should reword this topic to...

Guitarist whose playing I'm most jealous / envious of...

I'd say Paul Gilbert again, and put Vai and Petrucci right up there...
(i don't have the discipline to sit around with a metronome and get that technique.. plus my pinky is mostly useless since it doesnt move as smooth as the other digits)

I grew up in the 80's too.. didn't get to experience any of that music while it was being made though, got into most of it when i started playing guitar. As i mentioned I think the 80's was the hay-day of awesome guitar skills... which actually seems to be making a comeback.. the bands are heavy but alot of people are soloing and shredding, both tasteful and wanky.. which is nice to hear...

I would tend to think that if the artist started in an era thats when they are from. that is EVH, is an 80's guy, so is yngwie and gilbert. zakk is almost 80s, with ozzy he was, but solo he is metal. metallica is and 80's metal band; foo fighters are a 90's band, korn is a 90's band... most guys seem to stick to their style, some are more "versitile" but they still do their shtick. If Korn played like KsE, or LOG i'd say they were "current time" if paul gilbert started doing emo (scremo maybe?) he'd be more current (i'd hate that by the way) I'll bet 1 dollar that the next EVH album that comes out is classic VH through and through... no growling vocals, or pummeling guitar.. just eddie doing what he does.

... but I digress

(oh in my dreams i usually am no better than reality.. how uncool is that?)

There's no best.

No way to compare guitarists, or music for that matter. Its a useless discussion usually taken personally by immature teenagers.

I was in high school and just getting into the guitar in the mid-eighties. Good time to be a guitar player! Then a bunch of guitarists decided that technical abilities are "boring" and "not soulful" (which I always interpreted as actually meaning "I'm not as good as Eddie Van Halen, and I'm too lazy to put the time into becoming a better guitarist, so I'm going to jump on the grunge bandwagon"). Thus the 90s pretty much sucked for me musically.

Well, since Hendrix was playing on Maui the day I was born in 1970, I'm gonna say this:
In no particular order.....

Hendrix
Zappa
Billy Gibbons
Santana
Alex Lifeson
Satch
EVH

Since most of them are still living, I would say that Santana has influenced me the most. I'll never be able to play like Satch, but I can fake EVH like nobody's business.
Lifeson has really influenced me too. I love the open chords and strange textures.

New, modern guys.....
There are some really great guitar players that are doing things right now. I'm really impressed with Avenged Sevenfold's guitar players, but everything I hear from them sounds like Helloween.
Atreyu's guitar players are good too, but I just don't like most of their music.

So, I'm gonna stick with the old school and say that until I hear something original (not saying it's not out there, but just that I haven't heard it yet) and impressive, I'll keep my list. Must be getting old! :lol:

My list (also in no particular order):

Randy Rhoads
Dimebag
Zakk Wilde
SRV
Hendrix
EVH

The list can go on....Satch, Page, K King, Slash...

Hetfield is one of the most influential players to me, kinda like once I heard Puppets (didn't play guitar at the time) I was like - f*#% I wanna be able to do that!

Monsta-Tone said:
So, I'm gonna stick with the old school and say that until I hear something original (not saying it's not out there, but just that I haven't heard it yet) and impressive, I'll keep my list. Must be getting old! :lol:

Funny, I often wonder if "original" is even possible anymore, I mean obviously it is, but, everything is so inter connected. I even hear Hetfield talk about "sharing" riffs and remember an interview with Max from Sepultura and how he was saying he likes to throw on a favorite album, listen to it, then try and jam out some original material after wards. I've done that and you can't help but here the influence of that album in the riffs that are to follow when jamming...

My favorite current/new band is EVILE (http://www.myspace.com/evileuk), they get a tone of criticism for sounding like Slayer/Sepultura/Megadeth...but to me, I hear the similarities but at the same time, love the music and find it to be original enough.

FWIW - Evile's first album Enter The Grave was recorder with Flemming Rasmussen at Sweet Silence studios where Metallica's RTL, MOP & ATFA were recordeded, the quality in the recording shows.

Anyway, Matt & 'Ol (brothers actually) in Evile are tight, fast and accurate as hell!

Kinda got a little sidetracked there...

Ahhh! I forgot Mustaine and Friedman!
Those guys were awesome together. Not the best tone in the world, kind of shrill, but man I love Megadeth!
The new guy is really great too!

Master of Puppets is the last Metallica CD I will own. Anything after Cliff just seemed to suck more and more. Bob Rock really fucked them up. Plus, the guy is a real douche! I did some wiring for him at his studio in Haiku and he was a pompous *** hole. I rented a Marshall preamp to him and his assistant Frasier picked it up at my house. I asked Frasier how much an hour they charged, he looked at me and smiled and said, "You couldn't afford it."

I do want to hear the Rob Trujillo version of Metallica. If and when, they let him actually cut loose!

Oh yeah, I forgot my favorite metal/punk guitarist of all time....Rocky George!

Yes I forgot Mustaine/Friedman!

AJFA is a killer album, but musically in terms of balance - it isn't considering there's little to no bass lol

I hear you about Bob Rock, I agree 100% - pisses me right off too! I've heard people hold grudges against hims saying he ruined Crue, Kiss & Bon Jovi in the same way. Get's them to sound too perfect, but not perfect in good but more in a main stream kinda catchy way.

I have another buddy who was a theory on how Metallica (because of their newer Load/Reload era) are responsible for that whole Nickleback thing...and Theory Of a Deadman and all those others who all sound a like...Basically saying that Metallica going in that mainstream catchy style influenced the outcome of Nicklback and the alike.

I can see where he's coming from...

Monsta-Tone said:
he was a pompous *** hole.
LOL well put, seems like he'd be just that!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget Aerosmith! They used to be a great band before he got a hold of them.
He's just a Pop producer to me and good bands should absolutely stay away from him!

Although Tal Bachman had some groovy tone (my preamp)!

As for Nickelsack and the like, man they give PRS & Mesa a bad name!

Latest posts

Back