guitar for metal thats got some really good chunk.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackmesa

Reaction score
ive got a carvin dc 127, they're pretty thin, not a whole lot of wood. any ideas on what i could trade it for to get some really good chunk?

Eddie

I would go with either a Gibson or PRS.

Thing is there's a slew of gibson's and prs out there! You'd have to research for a while to see which model you like.

Generally speaking though, mahogany is THE wood for chunk on guitars. Mahogany bodies with mahogany necks are the ticket, with a rosewood board. Maple tops are simply to add some brightness and clarity (which I would recommend if you've never heard the tone of an ALL mahogany guitar...it can be a little unclear sometimes if the quality is avg)

so whats the big deal about ebony fretboards, why is everyone raving about those? haha i got one just cuz everyone said they were awesome.

Check out the Ibanez 4020. It is thick, 25" scale length. Neck through, a very substantial guitar (i.e. heavy!). If I didn't already have Suhr's to cover that tone, that Ibanez would be the ticket 8)

blackmesa said:
so whats the big deal about ebony fretboards, why is everyone raving about those? haha i got one just cuz everyone said they were awesome.

ebony fretboards are a dark and very hard wood. harder than maple if I'm not mistaken.

Whereas maple gives you a LOT of brightness, my friends Custom Shop Les Paul Black Beauty with Ebony was not very bright...Rather, I found that the ebony on the fretboard added a lot of SNAP to the notes. There was a lot of attack on the notes. The notes jumped out in whiplike fashion. Unfortunately, I found the ebony to really dominant the sound of that guitar and as a result, it lacked a lot of warmth. The guitar sounded very stiff, even through the mark2c+ (even more so on the rectos). It probably would sound good through a Marshall though (because every Gibson in the world sounds good w. a Marshall)

I'm not generalizing to say that all ebony will produce this effect, BUT I had actually read about ebony many times before I played his guitar and I found the same characteristics to be true (from what I had read to what I heard).

Maybe for your style you'll like ebony??? Only you will know. For my style, it doesn't suit me.

even decades after the fact, there's a reason why the Les Paul formula is still selling so well......that wood combination defines rock and roll (unless you're a strat guy....but good luck getting chunk on a single coil)

BC Rich make terrible guitars, every one I've played has been appalling. Maybe I've just played bad ones, but they seem to just be built for image and not much else.
For good metal chunk Mick Thomson's Signature Ibanez may be worth a play, although if you don't like Slipknot you probably wouldn't want it, as it's quite obviously a signature model guitar when you look at it.

You gotta get at least a NJ model if you want a BC Rich. I prefer the older early 80's models with the Gibson style headstock and either the R or the Rico logo. There are some nice Rich's out there but you really gotta know what you are looking at. Most are just for looks.

I used to have a Gibson SG loaded with a Duncan distortion pickup and I ran through a Marshall JCM 900 and it sounded great. Was thick and juicy and was fairly easy to get a Slash type tone. I have not heard that guitar with a boogie but I would imagine the sound would be great.

Basically what another person: Mahagony is the way to go for a fat chunky sound. You can get a good sound from Basswood as well with a great pickup and EQing a little different, but I think Mahagony is just the easiest way to go. Gibson and PRS use mostly Mahagony. Ibanez uses it on some of their more expensive models: prestige and RGT.

Good luck.

Gibson Explorer with EMG's. Or if you can find one, a used LTD or ESP EXP Model (Pre lawsuit). But basically any one of the ESP/LTD line that has a mahogany body is going to give good chunk. The Eclipse and the Vipers are also pretty heavy, my other guitarist uses both a Viper-1000 and EC-1000 to and I use an Ibanez RG with EMG-Hz's and an Edwards (ESP Japan brand) Explorer with EMG-81's. We play As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, All That Remains type stuff. (our 4 track demo on myspace doesn't really give all the new stuff justice lol)

-AJH

If you want chunk, try a Les Paul in the neck position. Then anything beyond that is just a pickup change away because that is pretty **** fat even with stock pickups.

Caparison is the guitar for you or an esp. all heavy bands play on them and they sounds great. Gibsons are hrrmm not so good (personal oppinion)

Only fatter one than a les paul is a Bunker MVP, they sound sick, and you can get them custom made.

blackmesa said:

You would only know if you ever played one. I prefer ebony. Then maple comes before rosewood. It is just how the notes come off the fretboard and the feel.

You know, I have been checking those out lately but am not sure if I like the strat-ish body.

Bunker used to be based right down the street from me. Have you tried a pickup change in your DC127? All this talk of wood and such is great but pickups are going to have the biggest influence on your sound. I took the lame stock pickups in mine out and replaced them with an EMG 81 and EMG 89 and that guitar's now a fire breathing metal monster.

Here's a pic:
IMG_2961.jpg

As far as Les Paul'ish sounds go I would take a Hamer Studio Custom any day over a Paul. Oh wait, I did.

Back