Guitar cutting out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohaire

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with one of my guitars. When I plug in and turn up my volume, it completely cuts out. I opened up the compartment and checked all the wiring and soldering but nothing seems out of place. Could this just be a bad volume pot?

If i play with the volume knob, it'll work for a little then cut out again. So fairly certain that's the source of the problem.

Trying to troubleshoot this myself so I don't get gouged by my local tech that does crappy work.

Try cleaning the pot with spray cleaner. You can get it with or without lubricant. I generally prefer it without lubricant.
Spray the cleaner in the gap between the contacts and the pot's housing then twist the put back and forth several times.

Any kind. I get it at a local discount store (Benny's) or Radio Shack. Some folks say you need the type with lubricant for pots, others say it just collects dust. I've used the type without lubricant for many, many years.

Latest posts

Back