Guitar-Amp combinations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slhguitar

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing what guitars people around here use with their amps......I play Metal/Hardcore, and I use an SG special with my Dual Rec, and its wicked....What does everyone else use to get that special tone?

Jackson Soloist SLSMG w/ a LSC.

The gtr has passive EMGs. Nice low output so when I dime it the notes pop and push the tinies bit instead of driving.

This is my preference since I love the tone at 8 and I know if I get lost in the mix if I do dime it my overal sound won't change all that much but will stand up.

up until a few months ago I DID play hXc and metal (metalcore?).
My musical style has changed recently (new band) but my tone is more or less in the same range

I got a recto and Fseries

Main guitar is a Les Paul studio w/ JB in the bridge
blackness.jpg

sometimes I switch this off with:
253365002_l.jpg

a Greco Les Paul custom with EMG81 in the bridge, and some random diMarzio in the neck.

I also have a vintage Tokai LoveRock LS80 (58 Les Paul std replica)
w/ a BurstBucker pro in the bridge and SD 59 in the neck
my favorite guitar by far, but she doesent leave the house much.
Tokai.jpg

my also rans include a Schecter C1 exotic, for when I feel the need for a longer scale. An Ibanez Rg7620 (7string) for when I feel like I need to suck on one extra string, 1962 Gibson MelodyMaker for looking like an indie rocker, a bunch of telecasters for when Ive been listening to too much Johnny Cash, and a bunch of other junk

Les Pauls are my favorite though

strumminsix said:

The gtr has passive EMGs. Nice low output so when I dime it the notes pop and push the tinies bit instead of driving.

This is my preference since I love the tone at 8 and I know if I get lost in the mix if I do dime it my overal sound won't change all that much but will stand up.

Are you using the stock EMG HZ4s?

I'm currently running a couple of jems with dimarzio Evolutions and a Universe with Blaze II p'ups. Into a DR Road King. But i'm not quite getting the tone i'm after!!!! Need to tighten the bass some.

no soul said:
strumminsix said:

Are you using the stock EMG HZ4s?

They are the stock ones but I can't say what model they are.

My good friend uses a '90 LP studio with SD59 in the neck and Pearly Gates at the bridge. He plays through a Nomad 55 1x12. In our last band, he had all 6 settings where he wanted them, making minor tweaks for the room. Going for blues-ey, classic rock tones. Occasionally high-gain tones were called for, and they were there, as well.

I was bass player in that band, but I did get to do a few songs on my strat, so we'd switch around. I could simply plug and play and get good tone. BEST tone was had by using ch2 (his mid-gain 'crunch' channel) in 'SOLO BOOST' mode and backing my guitar down to @5 for rhythym and brining up to taste for soloing.

But we both marvelled at how big a pain it was to get ther reverb dialled in on that bugger. Not surf 'verb, just a little. Touchy knob, that one. Being around back didn't help much, either.

Sludge/Punk/Grunge/Metal/Whatever
rig_whole.JPG

Ignore that pedalboard.....I was getting a little silly with the effects at the time.

Doom/Sludge
guitar_rig_003.JPG

FYI - Yes, I did get the pedal thing under control. :oops:
guitar_pedalboard_003.JPG

Flavell777 said:
I'm currently running a couple of jems with dimarzio Evolutions and a Universe with Blaze II p'ups. Into a DR Road King. But i'm not quite getting the tone i'm after!!!! Need to tighten the bass some.
A guy I knew recommended a BBE sonic maximizer in the loop. They're not terribly expensive, come up used all the time, and may be what you're looking for.

I use Ibanez guitars. Jem 7VWH, Jem 77BFP, UVMC, RGR620, RG540 and RG520. All with Dimarzios.

I play through 2 Fender Prosonic Heads. 1 set for Fender Clean and the other for Drive through a Mesa Oversized cab. I'd have to say the Prosonic is the closest thing to Boogie for overdrive. In one word. BRUTAL. Try one and you'll will be blown away.

I play mostly Progressive Rock and instumental Rock like Vai and Satriani to name a few.

My real plan is to get into a band that has the same ideas as me and direction i want to go in but there just seams to be no one around that had the same ideas.

Sanchez

mesas.jpg

prs.jpg

prs2.jpg

hellraiser2.jpg

Dual Rec w/ EL34L's and EL84s
Stiletto (for now)
PRS Custom 22 w/ Tremonti Treble
Schecter C7 Hellraiser w/ EMG707's

#1 1976 Les Paul Custom all stock, wine red... "Rosie"
#2 1998 USA strat w/ Fat 50's, olympic white/rosewood.
#3 2005 Epiphone Sheraton II, soon to have SD '59plus/JB
Amps.
#1 Mesa Boogie Mark III simulclass shorty, EQ/reverb, Imbuya/wicker.
2-oem EV/thieles Imbuya/wicker.
#2 1968 Gibson Hawk, 1-10" 0xford, reverb/tremelo.

ax. 8)

http://photobucket.com/albums/e384/dualrec221/?action=view&current=IMG_0992.jpg
You can see it hear. I play everything. Thrash metallica, ozzy, wide range of rock.

Back