Greetings......new guy here

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesamark3

Reaction score
New to the site, long-time boogie player. Current main amp is a Mark III red stripe combo. I also have two .50 caliber (EL84-based) heads. One is the long chasis version and the other is the short chasis version in a rack mount frame. The .50 cals were my main amps back in my 80s metal days and they haven't seen much playing time over the last decade. (My days of lugging 4x12 cabs around are long over!). Anyway, plugged the rackmount one in the other day for the first time in years...........OMG! I cannot believe how ferocious sounding the lead channel is on that thing. Dare I say, it surpasses my Mark III's lead tone. I might have to convert that one into a combo!

Welcome MM3, I've said it to a lot of people, even argued that my .50Cal+'s lead channel sounds better than the 3 MKIII's I've owned.

Welcome aboard bro! :D

and yes, also a cal50 lover here, missed the ones i had and also think that they sound just as great as my MKIII :shock:

Welcome aboard bro.

I, too, have noticed my .50 Caliber 6BQ5 combo seems to have some real beefy cleans as well as outstanding solo tone [once I realized that the darn thing sounds great with the Vol setting lower then the Master - I set my initial clean and rhythm tone and play with the Vol versus Mast setting and Oh My God].

I thought I was going crazy since I have yet to get that out of my Mark III. But I am going to be getting TAD preamp tubes and =C= power tubes at the end of the month for the III. I did that for the Heartbreaker and it sent that amp off the charts with tone and versatility capability.

Anyhooo - welcome - I found some really great players in this forum who are becoming more like brothers and sisters - and I haven't been here that long. That says alot for me. 8)

Dennis

Thanks guys, glad to see there are some other fans of the .50cal. The link below has a few demos that I recorded with the .50cal. The only effect is the Rockman Stereo Chorus in the loop.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=973422&content=music

wow, you still definitely have the 80's chops going! great recording and material. nice guitar sound, very articulate..."clear distortion" :D

Welcome to the board. Nice tone going there. Even at 6 a.m. it sounded good 8) I can tell that finding and playing a .50 cal needs to get on my list of things to do.

Thanks! The guitars I used on those recordings were my Ibanez RG570 (Duncan SD in bridge) and my stock '84 Gibson Explorer w/ Dirty Fingers pickups. I ran straight into the .50cal head and would Y cord out of the 8ohm jack into two Marshal 4x12s. The A cab was a mid 80s JCM800 cab, the B cab was an early 70s cab w/ Celestion greenbacks. I always miced the A cab as the B cab always sounded too "boxy" to me. It was on to basically balance the ohms load. I ran one of those Rockman 1/2 space rackmount stereo chorus units thru the loop. That's it. I gotta say, I'm totally loving the tone of this rig again.
bartchamdoh said:
Hi Mm3 what a killer tone what cabs and geetar are you running thru your .50Cal?

Latest posts

Back