gotta try this setting for VH

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbomb

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has any tips or settings they would like to share on getting a VH II tone?
im using a tremoverb combo,with JJ EL-34L TUBES. im in vintage mode with spongy and vacume tube engaged.im trying to acheve that elasticy type tone if you know what i mean.settings for bedroom and stage levels.
i just dont have alot of time to figure it all out right now,just looking for some help

thanx in advance

mike

To be perfectly honest, you're not gonna hit the dartboard on that tone with a rectifier. Rectifiers won't do Marshall and vice versa.

Now if we're talking Stiletto then it'd be no problem.

I run my rectifier with those exact tubes and while I absolutely love the tone, it's not gonna be a marshall.

Your best bet is to get a Marshall-esque overdrive and run it on your clean channel or clean/pushed. A few off the top of my head: MI Audio Crunchbox, Fulltone OCD for that 'about to explode hot rodded marshall' tone. The Z.Vex Box of Rock for the JTM45 on '10' tone but I'd recommend the first two over this last one for the tone you're after.

thanx Plat,i kind figured that. hey that rhymes. i was gonna buy a DEUCE when boogie was blowing out the stage 1,for 800 bucks ,i could beat my head against a wall for not doing it.

Heh, I bought one and returned it.. I should have kept that amp but I bought an Orange with the cash so it wasn't that bad of a trade.

They're great amps, just not the catch-all amp I needed it to be to cover all the styles I wanted to play. The rectifier is more versatile in that it takes two different tube types to me.

till you can buy something else, try this:

bold power, tube rectifier, presence down.

good luck

Try getting a nonmaster input Marshall at full tilt on a Variac. That is what EVH did.

Russ said:
Try getting a nonmaster input Marshall at full tilt on a Variac. That is what EVH did.

Actually in a recent interview eddie admitted that ALL his amps were totally stock with no mods and NO variac.

IF YOU WANT MARSHALL TONE>>>GET A MARSHALL AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleekster said:
Russ said:

Actually in a recent interview eddie admitted that ALL his amps were totally stock with no mods and NO variac.

IF YOU WANT MARSHALL TONE>>>GET A MARSHALL AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about you guys, I think some of these MESA's amps could get a pretty good approximation of sound of other amps if you asks me.

Yes, it takes a some understanding how to set these amps and a veteran MESA owners could tell you this.

Eddie says alot of stuff and his stories changes from time to time.

There was an article on MESA flyer or website where Randall Smith sat in during Van Halen sound check. Eddie was playing while his tech was adjusting the variac. Then Eddie saids: "Right 'there'", hitting the "sweet spot" of the variac.

Randall took note and it was opposite what Eddie was saying, the variac was to lower the internal voltage of the amp, NOT raising it like everyone thought.

Anyway, that is what the "Spongy / Bold" switch is for, lowering the internal voltage.

There was a similiar post trying to get a Van Halen tone out of Dual Rectifier and there was setting. This may sort of work on Trem-o-Verb.

But if you want an exact tone, would you need the Mastreo Echoplex, Phase 90, and whatever in the chain link of you stomp boxes? Or this is for Van Halen I?

actually i just wanteed a passable tone,for when i feel like playing VH songs.i appreciate all the responces to this post,thanx.buying another amp is out of the question unless its another MESA,i love Mesas to much.there is certain qualities i would like to get in my own tone such as, for lack of a better word that elastic or chewy sound of the notes.

one thing i did try was to dial out all the trebel from the amp,crank the mids,because EDS tone is all mids, and used the presence as a trebel control and amp set to vacume tubes and spongy with JJ s EL34Ls.

the result was so so maybe i need to mess with it a little longer.
but the bottom line is i would just like to get my own tone, with some characteristics of that brown sound.
thanx guys
i am still open for tips and tricks u maniacs may have

fbomb said:
actually i just wanteed a passable tone,for when i feel like playing VH songs.i appreciate all the responces to this post,thanx.buying another amp is out of the question unless its another MESA,i love Mesas to much.there is certain qualities i would like to get in my own tone such as, for lack of a better word that elastic or chewy sound of the notes.

one thing i did try was to dial out all the trebel from the amp,crank the mids,because EDS tone is all mids, and used the presence as a trebel control and amp set to vacume tubes and spongy with JJ s EL34Ls.

the result was so so maybe i need to mess with it a little longer.
but the bottom line is i would just like to get my own tone, with some characteristics of that brown sound.
thanx guys
i am still open for tips and tricks u maniacs may have

That chewy/elasitcy tone is just something that's hard to get out of a recto, like I said earlier the Stiletto was pretty much built for that purpose.

Your best bet is to get a Marshall-esque overdrive pedal and run it on clean. You can get in the realm but you wont get that elastic bounce that he has with a recto without said pedal sadly.

You seemed like on the right track.

Did you try Cloning the High Vintage Gain Mode of the Orange Channel to the "Red" Channel. The this mode gain structure seems right but the Red Channel has a little presence for "Marshally-like" than the Orange Channel.

Sorry fbomb, I'm taking shot in the dark trying to get your VH tone. I too have a ToV and trying to recall what I would do trying to get a VH tone and so far your setting seems pretty close.

Uh, there's always change of speakers and I would guess you have V30s and I think Eddie's Marshalls were equipped with Greenbacks. But then Greenbacks are 25 watts (2x = 50 watts) and the ToV is 100 watts ... that won't work out either. Try a 4x12" equip with Greenbacks...[?]

another thing,by running in tube mode dont i bypass the recto tubes? which would give me a more british tone or at least a less recto tone or am i thing about this backwards?

fbomb said:
another thing,by running in tube mode dont i bypass the recto tubes? which would give me a more british tone or at least a less recto tone or am i thing about this backwards?

I'm sort of confused on what you mean. In tube rectifier mode you are using the two tube rectifiers. In silicon diode mode you're using the diodes and the tubes aren't used. The tube recto is def where you want to be for that sound, way less tight of a clip.

Platypus said:
... The tube recto is def where you want to be for that sound, way less tight of a clip.
...what's ironic Eddie's Super Lead Marshalls uses diode rectifiers (well just about all amplifier build in the later 60's to present with the exception of boutique amps and a few manufacture uses tube rectifier(s)) yet you asks any Boogie owner having the "tube rectifier / diode rectifier" switch on their amp trying to achive a Van Halen-like tone they would recommend switch to tube rectifiers.

RR said:
Platypus said:
... The tube recto is def where you want to be for that sound, way less tight of a clip.
...what's ironic Eddie's Super Lead Marshalls uses diode rectifiers (well just about all amplifier build in the later 60's to present with the exception of boutique amps and a few manufacture uses tube rectifier(s)) yet you asks any Boogie owner having the "tube rectifier / diode rectifier" switch on their amp trying to achive a Van Halen-like tone they would recommend switch to tube rectifiers.

Yep, very ironic indeed. The boogie diodes are VERY modern though which is probably the issue.

http://www.metroamp.com/forum/index.php

My 2 cents worth. Check this forum out. I know it is
NOT Boogie related,but theres a ton of info there to find the elusive
"brown sound'' .
A friend who knows Eddies(no longer) tech said his Plexi was stock ,but over the years,parts had been change. He also made note,Eddie ran the Marshall fully open...everything on 10.
One more though,this guy also said Eddie has a picking attack that he'd never witnessed before.
He just pummles the hell out of the stings.
Once again...Eddie is Eddie.

On the Triple Rectifier that I used to own, I would use Channel Cloning-Red to Vintage where both presence controls are active. Tube rectifier and spongy with at least a patch cord in the effects loop. This will allow you to use the loop active master to control overall volume and the channel master to dial in the blend of your sound. The EL-34's are a must have. Good luck at the bedroom volume levels (lol).

Latest posts

Back