Got some Yellow Jackets for my Heartbreaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I got some Yellow Jackets for my Heartbreaker. They should show up next week.

I plan on running them in the outer power tube sockets and using 6L6's in the inner pair.

I spoke with THD and they said that this should be fine.

I can't wait. This will mean that I will have 20 watts in the 50 watt setting and close to 70 in the 100 watt setting. That doesn't really matter much, I am just looking for some serious power tube breakup and 6L6 headroom at the same time. Not to mention the chime from the EL's mixed with the bass from the 6L6's.

Has anybody already tried this? If it works good, I might try it in my Tremoverb too.

Hi,

Never played a Heartbreaker, but I have found lots of uses for the pair of Yellowjackets I keep around here. The ones I have are Groove Tubes brand. In some amps they sound really good. I've even put them in my single recto head (didn't like that too much).

I'm interested in hearing how you like them in your Boogie. What kind of music do you mostly play? Does the H.B. have a lot of gain in the preamp?

M

The HB has tons of gain if you choose that option, but I like both channels set up for a clean sound and use a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal in front of it. That way I get 2 cleans and 2 distortion sounds out of a 2 channel amp.

I want to get some better power tube breakup out of the amp because it's 100 watts and has more headroom than most Fender Twins that I've used.

Monsta-Tone said:
the chime from the EL's mixed with the bass from the 6L6's.

Has anybody already tried this?
Monsta, I'm doing this in my RKI. I Put the YJ's in the 1st two 6L6 slots, this way I can mix the 6L6,EL34 & EL84 pair's in any variation. With the addition of the EL84's, my RKI can pretty closely get the same cleans as the RKII's. The EL84's just by themselves have exposed a hidden tube personality that I didn't know was in there. The tones are beyond description, it just sounds so freakin' incredible.

Popped them in my MKIV A and HOLY CRAP it was awesome. I will be getting a pair of YJ's for that amp as well.

The EL84's mix very well with the 6L6's & EL34's, it's kinda like a match made in heaven. I just love em', standard equipment for me from now on.

Back