Got my C+ back today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Reaction score
This is the first C+ I have owned with the X101 transformer and I have to say now I know why
the quest for the X101 exists. It is simply the most fluid sounding compared to the 105.
I am waiting on a walnut headshell that should arrive at the end of the week.
This is an upgraded C+ that had the RP11A board installed at Mesa in 1984 and came with a factory x101 transformer wired for 117v.
This one just came back from Mesa and Mike B fixed er up good. It has the Str415 and STR416 EL34/6L6 with handpicked Tungsram preamps in there.
I have more gut shots if anyone is interested.

IMG_8245.jpg

IMG_8246.jpg

IMG_8259.jpg

NICE!!! Some food for thought. Would a 100 PT (which has the same voltage output) sound the same as the X101 if the bias voltage was adjusted to the "export" values? I thought that the X101 had a smoother, more compressed feel than the 105 PT. Great for those buttery leads, but I did prefer the more dynamic nature of the 105 for rhythm work, high gain or clean. The mid-gain sounds are amazing with the X101, for sure. 8)

"the X101 had a smoother, more compressed feel than the 105 PT. Great for those buttery leads, but I did prefer the more dynamic nature of the 105 for rhythm work, high gain or clean"

I would say that sums it up pretty accurately. I used to own one with the 100pt and it feels very similar.

I requested the color code and received it with the amp to wire the transformer to 240. Mine doesn't have the switch on back. It's wired for 117.

IMG_8271.jpg

Nice Dave

great to hear your thourght on the 105/100/101 differences in sound.

Wonder what the 101 would sound like when its plugged into a 230 volt outlet

Latest posts

Back