Got a Studio Pre...should I get a Quad too?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you are missing some tones the studio does not have.
From my understanding Quad= IIC+ ( not exact, but close) and Mark III.

DMTransmutation said:
Am I missing anything? Are there many different sounds in the Quad that the Studio doesn't have?
Surely the quad has a very slightly different tone on ch 1, while ch 2 is more markIII-ish. But if you expect Mesa/Marshall tone differences they aren't there.

I don't have experience with the quad, but am very happy that I picked up a rectifier recording preamp after I already had a studio preamp- the rectifier definately gives one a lot of tone options different from a studio...

I've heard reports of the Quad having 'issues', can anyone validate any of these? A friend of mine almost bought one, but backed out because it had channel switching problems.

rotaryunison said:
I've heard reports of the Quad having 'issues', can anyone validate any of these? A friend of mine almost bought one, but backed out because it had channel switching problems.
...I have a '86 Quad from two years and the channel switching is perfect...

bye

DMTransmutation said:
Am I missing anything? Are there many different sounds in the Quad that the Studio doesn't have?
As for the Quad and the Studio. Yes I think your missing out if you don't own a Mark III. The Quad with a 50/50 is a great Mark IIC+ for not being a Mark IIC+. When I was playing these preamps I thought the tone between the two is only slightly different. I just picked the Quad because of the extra channel.

If you haven't already seen this its a good comparison between the Quad and studio.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1983

rotaryunison said:
Please correct me if I am mistaken :)... I have read something like that. When using the Quad with certain external switching devices, like the CFX4 by Axess Electronics, the Quad will burn relays on the devices. So yes that problem exists.

Latest posts

Back