Good solid state 100 watt power amplifiers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 watts is not much for a solid-state power amp. You might have a hard time finding one less than 200 watts; basically the only reason to use a smaller one is because it's smaller to carry around.

You'll probably get lots of grief for asking about solid-state power amps but the fact is they do get used a lot. Why do you need one-- are you using a ToneLab or GT-8 or something as your main rig?

most music stores rent SS power amps no problem. Go rent the smallest one you can get, probably 200 watts, and try it out.

im using my pod pro in my rig. im just using it as a summer rig for gigging. im not going to waste my money or time on good equipment because theres not point. i need to start gigging this summer and for my birthday in march im getting 3500 dollars so then id be able to buy whatever amp/small rig i want.

Eddie

Charlie said:
Crate powerblock.
I agree, for the money you just can't beat the Crate Power Block. You'll have to find one used though because Crate has ceased production.

Ampeg VH140C solid state amp, to give you a idea it Kamelot's Thomas Youngblood main amp (studio and Live).

Since Crate has been mentioned ... I like their VTX200S combo. It is sterio, 2X12, built in effects, 200 watts @ 4ohms, and sounds pretty good for a SS amp at about $500. The RFX200s, I believe, is the same model with slightly difference colors. It's kind of like a Jazz Chorus for half the price with effects.

http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=114#

Try Randall Solid State Amps. I've had a couple of friends that had the a half-stack and a combo, the RM series I believe. They sound really good for the money and can get really loud.

-AJH

that velocity 100 sounds pretty decent for the money. I've read good reviews of the 120.

domct203 said:
ART SLA-1
ART SLA1 Poweramp
100W per channel, 1 rack space. Good clean-sounding amp for the money IMO. Dom
I use the the ART SLA-2 (200 watts/channel) in my W/D/W setup and I agree, it's a great amp in a single rack space.

Bang for the buck? Used Peavey bass head. Simple, reliable, cheap and easy to find everywhere.

Set it for a decent clean tone and use your pedal to get leads and reverbs. It will never break down. When you are done with it you can sell it for what you paid and move on. I use a 160 watt Mark III underneath my Maverick for my backup unit. I passed the audition for the band with it. Cost me $75.

MesaENGR412 said:
Try Randall Solid State Amps. I've had a couple of friends that had the a half-stack and a combo, the RM series I believe. They sound really good for the money and can get really loud.

-AJH

+1

i own one... i don't use it anymore since i have my caliber... but i really hesitate to sell it... really like this amp ! i have the rh200sc... the clean tone is surprisingly good... lead tones are ok for metal stuff... but i rarely used them... the clean tone with good pedal sounds better...

Crate Power Block. Simple to use. Just plug into the effect in and it's a 150watt solid state power amp. You can also use it as a normal amp and it sounds decent. It is powerful but I wouldn't say it blows my socks off. As of right now I run a digitech rp250 into a Sonic Maximizer then into the power block as a power amp and use a 1960A with that. It works and is a cheap powerful decent sounding setup.

Latest posts

Back