Good OD to put in front of a LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
like most, i set up my LSS with a clean channel, a crunch rhythm channel, and then for singing leads, i kick in a tube screamer on top of the crunch channel. while i don't HATE the TS9 in front of the LSS, i don't love it either and am looking to see what others are using out there w/their LSS. I play hard rock, not metal. so i don't need tons of gain. i also don't care if the pedal is true bypass or not, as long as it has a good buffer. fire away boys...

I have a few suggestions. All of them are different beasts but all sound great and are in my collection:

1. BB Preamp from Xotic effects. Kinda Marshally but not overly compressed.

2. Maxon Sonic Distortion (SD9). Looks like a Tubescreamer and has the same controls but is a different beast entirely. Lots of gain, lots of volume and possibly the widest sweep of any tone control on any gain pedal out there. Very versatile and very nice sounding.

3. Homebrew Electronics Powerscreamer. Like the name suggests it is a Tubescreamer clone....but that isnt all. The pedal has a 3 position toggle. To the left it is all 808 but slightly less midrangey. in the centre toggle it has more oomph and low end....slightly angry tone. The right position is sort of a fuzztone. VERY cool pedal.

4. Fullltone OCD. Probably the most hyped overdrive distortion pedal out there today....with a good reason. It is frickin amazing. HIGHLY recommended.

hey rocky, regarding the ocd- from what i understand, they're on their fourth version of this pedal. is one version preferred over the others?

Version one is the preferred version.

I have used 1 2 and 3....they are all very close. 3 is a bit smoother sounding.

I have an Analogman SD-9, which I alternate with the Keeley Rat. Both of those are for singing leads- I have channel 2 set up for Crowes/Stones rhythm.

Fulltone OCD, any version.

Also look at the Keeley Fuzz Head. Very interesting Overdrive/Fuzz pedal.

Siegmund Micro Tube Double Drive. All tube boutique clean boost/distortion pedal. Worth the wait to order and the money to pay for, special in a very good way. Best of luck to you.

i'm probably solo on this one, but channel 2 doesn't need a boost

set the drive to 10 o'clock, gain to 3-5 o'clock, depending on guitar/pups... use that as your solo setting, and then back off the guitar volume for rhythm

this amp has plenty of solo gain/sustain... also, i use a 12at7 in V1 to tame the grittiness/buzz of channel 2

good luck

I am going to have to say that the above post is true for most. I just compared a Timmy, Blues Pro and a Rat, which are all great for their own things, but the drive around 10:30 with gain after 3 is pretty bad ***. I do have NOS tubes if that makes a difference, but their is just a nicer tone than what you get out of a pedal.

I used a Boss GE7 EQ bumping up the mids into the second channel of a LSC to bring on some extra crunch ala ZZ Top. It sounded pretty good but the GE7 was a little noisy.

I highly recommend the OCD as well.

One more to try that I just discovered: Pigtronix Polysaturator.

1/3 OCD, 1/3 Rat, 1/3 Fuzz -- Versatility is the key word here. I use this and my OCD and have pretty much all OD/Disyortion needs covered.

Another pedal that is designed as a distortion but makes a GREAT boost is a Keeley Ultra modded DS-1.

NIce thing about The Ultra DS1is that you can go from a nice boost to a great distortion sound quickly and easily.

Latest posts

Back