Good OD pedal to go with Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketiov

Reaction score
Not for the lead channel. For R2. I could use a bit more gain there to be honest.

I don't want a smooth overdrive type pedal; on the contrary I want something "gritty". I like what I currently have on R2 but would like a bit more gain.

put an Xotic BB Preamp on R2 and you can get a pretty nice marshally grind going.

Or the Bad Monkey. I've got both and some days the Monkey sounds pretty **** good. Overall the BB dominates though.

I use a clean boost with my R2. It gooses the amp a little to work it harder. It's pretty cool. I would look at something like a Duncan pickup booster or the boosta grande from BBE.

Scott

I would recommend any type of pedal doing a clean boost or treble boost. I prefer the xotic rc booster because it can go from transparent to colored boost. Don't think that a treble booster makes your sound overly bright (like I used to think until I tried one) it just does brightens the input a little and will do just what you are looking for. I usually set mine pretty transparent though.

Pfft. Or you could do what real men do and turn all the volumes up to 10. 8)

Yeah, a clean boost up front will do fine, I use it sometimes, works good

Maxon makes some nice stuff too. I have the OD-9 and it's great. They used to make the Tubescreamers before the companies split. It is the same thing as a tubescreamer, has the same chip as the classic ones.

For something gritty try the Boss SD-1, Van-Halen favourites to push the 1959 heads n the first records.

I think Tubescreamer type of pedal would give you that smooth, mid-hump overdrive. The Boss SD-1 has a more treble lift that adds a nasty character to the tone.

I always thought the Boss SD 1 was a distortion pedal not an overdrive? Correct me if I am wrong.

Bshizzle said:
I always thought the Boss SD 1 was a distortion pedal not an overdrive? Correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah I got confused today too. SD 1 = overdrive, DS 1 = distortion. Go figure.

Thanks for all the responses guys! There's an SD1 on Craigslist every few days here, usually for about $30. I'll look into that maybe.

For me the Magic Potion is a Timmy set for Clean Boost and an OCD set for all out Screeeeeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dig those Tones but Im using these with my Mark III

miqueas92 said:
I get it why folks put a pedal in front of R2, but...

I don´t kow if my IV is great or what but I just love R2 all by itself,just GREAT tone.

Mick
The tone on mine is GREAT to my ears. But it just so happens that I'm a gain *****...

I guess you could call me a noob, but with an amp with so much gain out of the box already, why even run an OD pedal with the MKIV?

ruso said:
I guess you could call me a noob, but with an amp with so much gain out of the box already, why even run an OD pedal with the MKIV?
As I said before, I'm a gain *****. Having the gain right before the point where everything starts to feedback is the perfect spot for me :eek:

ruso said:

Also, some OD effects mixed with tube distortion creates textures that are very difficult to get with tubes or effects alone. Just pick a TS-type of overdrive and place it in front of a hot preamp tube and magic will happen.

I personally use a Zendrive with my Mark IV and it couldn't sound better. I use it for the r1, r2, and lead (when I need a lot of gain and sustain).

It sounds beautiful and just complements the already wonderful mark 4 tone instead of taking away from it.

Back