Going Mark Series ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
I am thinking of switching from the rectifier series to the mark series I have a 95 dual rec 2 channel i used to have a 3 channel from 2003 I honestly think i could dial in better tones on the 3 channel then the 2 channel

I am thinking of getting a mark 4 or a new mark 5 any suggestions

Full Support of going from Rectifier to Mark Series.

You'll never look back! :mrgreen:

I advocate you get a Mark V, lots of tones to be had, 3 channels with 3 modes per channel, and relatively easy to dial in, plus, you will be getting "newer" technology. Nothing wrong with older amps, got a Mark III myself, but for the $$$, go get the V. With the Mark series, almost guaranteed you will CUT through the mix in a band context.

thanks i think thats what i might do gonna try out a few first and going to be selling the 2 channel any takers?

gojira can't play their music (or how bout "badmotorfinger" by soundgarden?) w/o rectos

rectos are loose/boomy and mark series are reverse and better for leads.

i had a mark IVB combo and it was very reliable. i recommend a head for various reasons but after a really quick demo laste nite, I would recommend V over III/IV.

i think the III had a pull deep pot that was "scary". these newer models dropped that function.

Okay, so maybe you might consider what type of music you play. I have a Mark V, had a Mark IV for years, and probably nearly every other model/series of Mesa gear over the years. The Recto has a distinct feel and tone and vibe. If you "need" that for your sound, you probably should try out the Mark V and see if you can get what you need. The MV doesn't pretend to do Recto, but it does **** near everything else with grace and power. It is an awesome amp.

Now, just to complicate things :roll: , you also might consider trying the RA-100. It also is an awesome amp and sits in a different space than the Mark V. I am picking one up, as the perfect compliment to my Mark V. "Uber Marshall" grind and lead tones plus a beautiful clean channel. So, that might be another option for you to consider if you are moving away from the Recto family. :shock:

I absolutely love the Mark V and add my vote there, but just wanted to offer some additional/alternative thoughts to ponder. :idea: Besides, I find the research and "hunting" almost as fun as the "having."

Good luck, and you can't go wrong.

I've never played a recto but I've heard a few of them at jams we've hosted. I always thought my MKIV sounded superior.

BrentSSL said:
whats the difference between the A and B version of those amps

As far as I know there were some slight changes made to improve channel 2 for the b revision and give it more gain. Also, a reverb control jack was added so you can add a single button footswitch to toggle between on and off.

whate the RA-100 and also whats the diferrences between EQ's on the Mark 4 to the Mark people have seemed unhappy with the changes

giantstepjoe said:
BrentSSL said:

As far as I know there were some slight changes made to improve channel 2 for the b revision and give it more gain. Also, a reverb control jack was added so you can add a single button footswitch to toggle between on and off.

Also, in addition to those changes, the easiest way to spot a B version is that it has a removable power cord, while the A version had an attached power cord. At least, that is what I have always been told. I have had both.

BrentSSL said:
whate the RA-100 and also whats the diferrences between EQ's on the Mark 4 to the Mark people have seemed unhappy with the changes

I am not sure what "whate the RA-100" means, but if you are asking what it is, it is the Royal Atlantic RA-100, a new 3 channel amp with classic American cleans and an Electra-dyne type of dual mode Hi/Lo gain channel, which is a tribute to all things Marshall. The hi and low gain channels share EQ but have separate masters so you can control "three" channels. It is an awesome sounding amp, but the gain is British, so it has a totally different vibe than either Marks or Rectos. Check it out on the mesa website if you are curious.

babow2 said:
giantstepjoe said:
BrentSSL said:

Also, in addition to those changes, the easiest way to spot a B version is that it has a removable power cord, while the A version had an attached power cord. At least, that is what I have always been told. I have had both.

Not all B versions have a removable power cord. I have an early B version and it still has an attached power cord. I have heard that there are not too many like mine-it was a short period of time into the B revision that they change to a removable power cord.

Neptical said:
Full Support of going from Rectifier to Mark Series.

You'll never look back! :mrgreen:

Yeah I agree!

I have a C+, Triaxis, Quad, Dual Recto (2ch) and a Subway Rocket.

I really like my DR - but that's the reason I went away from Marshall - it was Marshall, Marshall, or Marshall - it's one sound with different amounts of gain. The DR is pretty well the same in a Rectifier way. Don't get me wrong I still love Marshall and the DR but I need more than one (great) sound.

But the Mark series amps really feel like "hey I've got a lot of different sounds in this box". A pretty decent sparkly Blackface Fender clean - Boogie Lead and Boogie Crunch (Tallica).

They do require tweaking but that's part of the game. And after a while the mid-range can seem too honky but that's what EQ is for ...

I got sick of my C+ (yes I know, that's blasphemy and I should be burned as a witch ... ) BUT just touch those dials a couple fo nanometers and wow - it's a new amp - I'm in love.

For certain heavier styles with all other amps I think, "hmm, that sounds pretty good ... but what's that amp again ???" - But with the Mark series it's "hey, that hits ''the'' spot - BINGO - this is the real deal". For some reason in my head that's "the" registered metal tone and all else is wanna-be (including DR). Maybe it's just me?

Latest posts

Back