goinf from road king series 1 to 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aramism

Reaction score
ok i have a used road king series 1 head I got one year ago when it got discontinued for like $1999.

just got tubes replaced and some servicing done at mesa. (was a ***** to ship and is very very heavy)

now i hate the parallel loops and the series 2 has 2 series. not 1/1 like the current.

i also love the loan star clean and the rk v2 has the clean preamps...

what do you think my best solution is. i don't mind paying an extra $500 or whatever it is for a new rk. do you think i can sell it on ebay for what i paid. a used rk v1 for $1999.00 and just go ahead and buy the rk series 2???

is this my only option??? help!!!

I'm not sure if you will get $1999.00 for it... I've seen a few RKIs up for auction at that price and they haven't sold.

But yes, no one will trade you a Series II for a I. So the best bet is to ebay it.

Ebay is the only real option you have if you don't want to loose a ton of money on trading it in. I just sold my Road King combo in almost mint condition for $1875 shipped (it cost me $175 to ship though :shock: ).

If I were you, I'd look at the completed auctions and see what they are going for and base your auction on those. I've seen them go from $1600 to $1800 (maybe more in some cases). Plan on about $60 to $80 to ship and after all is said and done (ebay fees, paypal fees) you'll end up needing about $1000 more for a RK II.

FYI: I sold mine to get a Roadster, and I love it.

tele_jas pretty much nails it. An RKII head is $2499 and tax gets you to around $2700. If I'm not mistaken, the last RKII head I saw in Rudy's in NYC was marked at $2599 or $2699 which would get you over $2800 or $2900 with tax. That's where I got mine. I think they have a Roadster as well.

shiiieottttt

well i can also sell my rectoverb 50 watt combo... before i moved into studio that was my main amp at home but its basically sitting there and has 2 same chanels as RK does so it does me no good

i can get like 1000-1250 for that so basically my old road king and rectoverb would mean a road king series 2

is it worth all the trouble??? is the clean channel really that much better?????

"is it worth all the trouble??? is the clean channel really that much better?????"

Absolutely...light years better. A couple of years ago, I went with cash in hand to a local Mesa dealer with the intention of buying the RK I, played it...loved channels 3 & 4, liked the Brit mode of channel 2 but hated the cleans of channel 1

RK II, the cleans are bliss....I'd defintitely sell both those amps to replace them with the RK II

I can honestly say the cleans on my Roadster are EVERYTHING that I had hoped for when I was asking the exact same question.

I had a RK series 1 and then the series II came out and I wanted to know if it was "worth the upgrade" and extra $$. I had several people tell me that "If I was happy with my tone, then don't worry about the RKII"..... But I wasn't happy with the cleans, I liked channel 2 Brit and channels 3 & 4 but not channel 1.

The Roadster does have the Brit mode, but it lost the tone in that mode that I had come to love on my RK I. I'm not sure how the RK II will be, but if it's like the Roadster then the Brit mode is overly bright and has less gain. That's with a Single coil, I haven't really tried it with my humbucker, but I plan on it this weekend.

Hope this helps......... Yes, the cleans are that much better and was more than worth it for me to trade my RK for the Roadster just for the clean channel alone.

if i sold my rectoverb wouldnt it be easier to just get a lonestar???? they go on ebay for around 1200 or so...

i'd prefer the head since i have the cabinet and it's annoying micing multi speakers... (my cab is RK cab both C90 and V30.... C90 is open back which is same as lone star combo anyway)

Aramism said:
if i sold my rectoverb wouldnt it be easier to just get a lonestar???? they go on ebay for around 1200 or so...

i'd prefer the head since i have the cabinet and it's annoying micing multi speakers... (my cab is RK cab both C90 and V30.... C90 is open back which is same as lone star combo anyway)

That's not a bad idea...... Most Rectoverbs only go for around $800 to $1000, so you'd still need a few hundred dollars to get the Lonestar. The last ROV combo I sold was in MINT condition and it sold for $875 and cost about $75 to ship.

You'd get a little more versatility on cleans with the Lonestar and you could always A/B it with the Road King. I did that with my RK and AC30, a little extra weight but well worth it in tone. I may still do that with my Roadster, just depends on how I feel after the new wears off.

I'd say, clean house. Sell them both and save for whatever else you may need. You'll have it all in one amp.

Aramism said:
cud bucket you love your rk series 2 eh?

Yes, yes, yes. I had a Peavey JSX that I loved. I still love them. But I sold it and my '79 Les Paul Custom, that I bought new, to buy the RKII. I don't regret it. I miss the JSX a bit but not the LP.

Latest posts

Back