Gibson...what the....? Buckethead sig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been playing Ibanez for the last few years since I ditched my high dollar Custom Shop, and picked up a PRS last year (a cheap Korean one that I couldnt be happier with!)

But I will say, I got a faded V that I love the tone on...it can't be beat for nailing the classic Gibson tones...Epi can't touch it, even my friends modded ones.

I will say there is some deviance in the production quality of Gibson, from one guitar to the next I feel like you could pick up one guitar and it could be a total winner, and the next one could sit on the wall forever. This really struck me on the newer guitars post Classic series (that I dearly loved).

Back on the subject of the Buckethead sigs - anyone know when they ship out?

^ I'm still waiting. Had an order with a euro dealer but cancelled and went with EM shorts in Kansas instead.

$1895 total. What a deal!

Jacko123 said:
The CNC woodworking machines can produce a more consistant part, day to day, than the human hand. The key to it is proper setup, operation and maintenance of said machine. This is where the quality factor comes into play. A poor machine setup or sloppy operator will negate the benefits of this machinery. The PLEK system will be much more accurate than the human eye when leveling the frets. But, again it comes down to the final operator of this machine. There is a certain amount of "human element" that remains in any type of production, to some extent. The CNC machines cost mucho dollars, and these companies have to recoup their investments, although I still agree that the Gibsons are a bit overpriced. My Tom Anderson guitars have some CNC work for sure, and the quality is second to none.

It wasn't the automation that bothered me - I prefer that, actually. It was the piles and piles of wood that were jammed through production. Nobody cares if the stuff sounds good, they just want it to pass a quick visual inspection once the paint's on it.

SonicProvocateur said:
I've been playing Ibanez for the last few years since I ditched my high dollar Custom Shop, and picked up a PRS last year (a cheap Korean one that I couldnt be happier with!)

But I will say, I got a faded V that I love the tone on...it can't be beat for nailing the classic Gibson tones...Epi can't touch it, even my friends modded ones.

I will say there is some deviance in the production quality of Gibson, from one guitar to the next I feel like you could pick up one guitar and it could be a total winner, and the next one could sit on the wall forever. This really struck me on the newer guitars post Classic series (that I dearly loved).

Back on the subject of the Buckethead sigs - anyone know when they ship out?

Yup, PRS is known for the quality of their craftsmanship. With Gibsons, you really do have to shop around. I don't think you pay $3,000 for an outstanding guitar from Gibson, I think you pay $3,000 because you want 'that' sound. No other tone will do.

(LOLing at 'oversized wedding cake')

first off, if one of these guitars cross my path at the right price, I will have to own it. Looks like a blast!!!

Second: while some of the comments about Gibson are warranted, they have been making steps. Now plekking the necks at the factory is HUGE for any one who has played them. This took them up quite a notch. I have owned varios gibsons over the years and they each just have such a unique vibe, feel, and tone that I have never felt from other guitars. The comments about tone I do not get at all! Every Les Paul I have had sounds like a beast! I own a busy recording studio, have a nice guitar collection and have lots of guitars come through here. For what a lp does, my custom is a bad mo fo! High end ibanez's, and ESP's just do not have the girth and beastly roar of my Les Paul. They can get a bit flabby though in the low/ low mids and this is where prs excel!! They are so much tighter and even sounding yet can still have a helluva roar. But when it's time to shred, practice, noodle, I love nothing more than my ibanez's ;)

Geiri said:
I'd have no problems putting a mid to upper level LTD against their custom shop guitars only to find that a cheap label like LTD is building better guitars than Gibson custom shop.

It's a sad sad thing cause I have had this dream since puberty, me standing on stage with a black LP custom strapped on.

On the first comment above, you are dreaming... And sadly sounds like you're still dreaming with the later comment too...

Gibson maybe selling some average guitars these days, but don't knock Custom Shop, cause they kick arse, and are two very different guitars in both sound, and finish.

volatileNoise said:
Geiri said:
I'd have no problems putting a mid to upper level LTD against their custom shop guitars only to find that a cheap label like LTD is building better guitars than Gibson custom shop.

It's a sad sad thing cause I have had this dream since puberty, me standing on stage with a black LP custom strapped on.

On the first comment above, you are dreaming... And sadly sounds like you're still dreaming with the later comment too...

Gibson maybe selling some average guitars these days, but don't knock Custom Shop, cause they kick arse, and are two very different guitars in both sound, and finish.

I'm not talking about their average stuff. I've spent too much time playing various les pauls including a few black customs only to feel them wanting. Looks vise for me the black les paul custom is an icon but sadly I honestly don't find it that good to play. And the LTD comparison is simply what I feel in terms of playability. I really don't give a rats a$$ what signature us on the headstock. For my ears my two ESP Horizons out play and sound any gibson I've ever tried.

Sorry if I offended you this just my opinion.

Peace

Geiri

Geiri said:
volatileNoise said:
Geiri said:

I'm not talking about their average stuff. I've spent too much time playing various les pauls including a few black customs only to feel them wanting. Looks vise for me the black les paul custom is an icon but sadly I honestly don't find it that good to play. And the LTD comparison is simply what I feel in terms of playability. I really don't give a rats a$$ what signature us on the headstock. For my ears my two ESP Horizons out play and sound any gibson I've ever tried.

Sorry if I offended you this just my opinion.

Peace

Geiri

+1

There are many Japanese guitars and many more American, I'd take before any Gibson

you aren't offending anyone, you are dreaming but clearly one of the lucky ones, that are probably a little tone deaf...

EVERYTIME I have seen a boogie onstage, and thought, geez his tone is a bit dull and lifeless, guess what is plugged into it, a lame arse LTD.

Now guess what every boogie fan has said to me when they seen our band live say, man that is the best fucking tone I ever heard come out of a recto.

so dream on buddy, and I tried out many Gibsons to find THAT sound, including more than just one custom shop.

there is only probably 2 or 3 models they made (besides the real old stuff) that have that killer tone too.

Back